Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing all new A/C parts-need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing all new A/C parts-need help!

It was 101 degrees today, "F" this!

I just ordered everything new to reinstall my A/C. I have zero experience with this, but what the hell, maybe I'll try it myself... Unless you experts tell me It's too much hassle. I ordered a complete kit. Description:

"The kit includes 5 new parts; including our brand new compressor, new receiver drier, new expansion device, new bottle of premium oil and vehicle specific complete O-Ring kit. You will almost always need all of these parts anyway. All you will typically need to add is flush and Freon, which unfortunately cannot be shipped." I also ordered a new condenser.

All together with tax and shipping it was around $500.00. I didn't want used or reman because I just stuffed a new motor in the car and I'm trying to get rid of many years of "ghetto status"

All I have left on the car it the main firewall fan/box thingy, which I have only recently capped, so I know it needs to be flushed. I know there are lots of online guides and tutorials out there, but what was all you first timers' experience like? What tools will I need? Got any good links? Should I just say fugg it and have a shop flush and charge after I assemble everything?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only special tools I would say you need are the gauges to fill the system once its back in the car and hooked up.

If it was me, I would put it all back in and bolt it up and let an AC guy to the flush and charge back up. You just need basic hand tools for the connections as far as I know as long as the hoses are already fitted with the fittings and crimped ends, etc.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know where to buy crimmped ends ?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
The only special tools I would say you need are the gauges to fill the system once its back in the car and hooked up.

If it was me, I would put it all back in and bolt it up and let an AC guy to the flush and charge back up. You just need basic hand tools for the connections as far as I know as long as the hoses are already fitted with the fittings and crimped ends, etc.
Thank you!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3800RS
anyone know where to buy crimmped ends ?
http://discountacparts.com/

I don't know if they're a sponsor..
Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get a new system for $500?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jlrz28
Where did you get a new system for $500?
http://www.supremecondensers.com/che...condensers.php
for the condenser

http://www.discountacparts.com/
for the rest
Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
dbd

Steve
Ran across your post about ordering a condenser from http://www.supremecondensers.com during a search on the company.

Doing a 134 change over on my 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe and am interested in what you thought of their condenser.

Quality? Fit? etc.

dbd
Southern California
Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Launching!

one piece im gonna suggest you dont forget about is the diaphram. its very cheap but if you dont replace it and its got debris in it or anything your a/c wont work for ****. leave the charging and everything to someone who does A/c it not as simple as simply putting the prescribed amount of oil and freon. i have rarely seen a system tak the "prescribed" amount and cool perfectly it takes some tuning
Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's a nice price for a new system.