Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

%@#n it!! Car won't fire up!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry %@#n it!! Car won't fire up!!

I did do my time searching for the answer to my problem but I can't find anything that fits my situation. I have an 01 WS6 M6 with 30k miles. I store the car in the winter and got it out about a month ago. It started up fine when i got it out. As of lately however on some of the cold mornings it will not started. Sometimes it will crank for forever and kill battery. Other times if I keep turning the key on and off instead of holding it it will start. If it doesn't start right up then it won't start at all. I put fuel system cleaner in the last tank of gas I had hoping that would solve the problem if it was moisture. i am on another tank now and same issue. Tried to start it tonight and nothing. Pushed it outside and it started up. I put Seafoam in the tank and let it run for a few minutes and then after dinner went to go for a cruise...wouldn't start. Put it in the garage with heater on (in hopes that it is just condensation), tried to start a bunch of times and nothing (just cranks). So where do I start guys? Thanks for your help and reading this long winded post.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your starter could be on the way out. next time it does not start lightly tap the starter with a hammer while someone else cranks it.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for responding to my post so soon. The car will sit there and crank for forever (until battery dies). Therefore I am not sure that the starter is the issue. If I had to guess I would say either fuel or spark. But where do I start? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a mech fuel pressure gauge on it. Make sure the pressure is good. Also could swap out the fuel filter. Then at least you could rule out fuel related.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

next time it does it shoot a little carb cleaner in and see if it fires then dies.Try to pinpoint spark or fuel as a cause,then go from there.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastWS6TA
Thanks for responding to my post so soon. The car will sit there and crank for forever (until battery dies). Therefore I am not sure that the starter is the issue. If I had to guess I would say either fuel or spark. But where do I start? Thanks.
i have seen cars crank with sparks shooting out of the starter, and it still sounded like it was cranking properly. but if you can crank it until the battery dies that it is probably not it. also do not crank the car for too long continuously because you could burn the starter.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

As mentioned shoot some ether/starting fluid down the throttle body and see if it starts.

Can you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key on?

Could it be a crank sensor?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Going to get some starter fluid tonight and try that. I checked to see if there was fuel coming out of that schrader valve on the fuel rail and there was. Just have to get a gauge and check pressure. Now if I spray starter fluid in there and it fires...what is that telling me? Faulty injectors? I could call a tow truck and take it the shop. However if you all are patient enough I would love to fix it myself and learn something. Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check your ignition relay under the hood. You can do a quick check by swapping it out with the fan relay.(Same relays).
Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

You need spark(at the correct time), fuel(correct pressure AND volume) and compression. If it starts when you shoot of fuel source directly into the intake you can probably rule out the spark side for now and look at fuel. If it doesn't start look at spark. Does it sound like it wants to start or do you get nothing? By the sound you can troubleshoot this problem. Is it common to ALL cylinders, a BANK of cylinders, a single cylinder or group of cylinders. You have to draw lines of demarkation then attack the things on the problem side of the line you draw. Crank sensor? Use your scan tool to look for crank pulses. No starts are a lot easier than P0300s. Don't crank and crank like you've been doing. Get an assistant to turn the key for you while you do the troubleshooting and watch the scan tool output.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Mine did the SAME thing. Intermittent no start. It was the ignition relay like Caribe said. next time it does it, swap relays.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Mine did the SAME thing. Intermittent no start. It was the ignition relay like Caribe said. next time it does it, swap relays.
+1 i used starter fluid and it started the car right up, but i then swapped the relay and it has been fine since.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

how long did you let the car sit up? did it have a full tank of gas? gas breaks down and turns in to a nasty varnish, so check you fuel pressure and pull a fuel sample, most likely you have bad gas.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Teching In

i love this forum. who the heck needs a repair shop. lol. when i get home from work i will check out all of the things that you have all said. Sounds like the ignition relay is the easiest to try first? if that doesn't work i will try starter fluid to hopefully figure out if spark is an issue. i think the gas is ok because it has only been in there for a couple of weeks. however the gas prior to this tank was the crappy stuff that sat all winter. I was a schmuck and didn't fuel stabilizer it for the winter. ran that gas through and have actually probably had a few tanks since then including fuel system cleaners. alrighty, time to get back to work. i will keep posting back till issue is resolved. thanks all.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Ignition relay is simple. Pull the cover off the relays on the driver's side, then swap the ones for the fan and the ignition. If it's the relay, the car will start right up.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

and the winner is..........ignition relay!! Thank god. That was the first thing that I checked when i got home from work as it seemed like the fastest and easiest. I switched it with the Fan 1 relay. Fired up the first time no problem. Fired up everytime after the switch. Now, if I switched the two relays, shouldn't i replace the one that was in the ignition relay originally now that it is in the fan spot? Thanks a million to all those who jumped on this thread and helped me out. Car show this weekend and i would have been pissed if i couldn't have taken the car.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Gas is good to about 90 days then it starts deteriorating..
Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Just buy a new relay ASAP, so your fans runs normal. I would also put the new relay back on the ignition side. Congrats
Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome, glad to see we could help.