Brother paralyzed family needs help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brother paralyzed family needs help

This time last year my brother got hit then ran over by a drunk driver fleeing the scene. The driver had no assets for my brother to be able to receive in a lawsuit and my mom has been taking care of him. It has gotten to the point where insurance wont pay for anything else. Im in the navy and can not be very much help being stationed of out of state. My mom is running out of options taking care of him is a constant job with his bed sores and how bad he is off. He has his own house so disability is having to pay his own bills. So my family is in a really bad dilemma and my mom needs help? Where do i go for help for them? what do i do?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does he have Medicaid?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

could y'all sell his house?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Launching!

You might be able to claim him as a dependent with the military. I know someone who claims there mother as a dependent and the military pays for her medical bills and gives them extra money. It would deffiently be worth checking into and seeing what all it would do. Also someone else mentioned medicade. If he is not already on that I would say that is something to check into as well. I know my cousin got on it and they covered so much more than their previous health care provider. Those are two things I would check into without a doubt.

Jon
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Launching!

I work for the VA, the above post refers to compensation and pension benefits, which you need to be an honorably discharged veteran to receive, and he would also need to be your dependant. You should probably talk to a veterans service organization to pursue those benefits, they might even know of something you can apply for while in service......sorry to hear about that I hope the info helps.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mike s.
I work for the VA, the above post refers to compensation and pension benefits, which you need to be an honorably discharged veteran to receive, and he would also need to be your dependant. You should probably talk to a veterans service organization to pursue those benefits, they might even know of something you can apply for while in service......sorry to hear about that I hope the info helps.
I was talking about him making his brother a dependent while he is still in the service, so he can get on tricare and any other benifits. Sounds like it could be alot better than what is goin on now with him.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Teching In

I don't know for sure about this - but Social Security could be another avenue to look into.....a good friend of mine gets about 3 grand a month - he's paralized from the chest down from an auto wreck......he still gets around in a wheel chair, though
Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

You may ask your mom to look into getting paid by Social Security to care for your brother.

I believe there is a form to fill out, but I don't have any information beyond that.

Sorry to hear and hope everything works out.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get with your family support center on base as well and see if they can give you some help.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

i work as a rn at jps hospital, im not sure if you have to live in tarrant county or not but they have a program set up through that hospital to help with medical stuff. heres the main hospital number just hit 0 for operator 817 921 3431, they give so many medications free each month if you are part of the jps connection program.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Thank you for all of your advice. trying somethings out will keep everyone posted