Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which DOT Tire is Faster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which DOT Tire is Faster?

Currently running a 26" 11.5 ET Street Bias Ply with an M6. Was leaving line at 5000 rpm.

Recently did a TH400 Swap with a 4XXX stall converter. Car is a full bolt on with 375lb weight reduction).

I'm wondering if the 26" ET Street tire is going to be enough leaving off a tbrake at 4XXX rpm?

If the 26" can't hold, what DOT tire would you recommend in a 28" (Hoosier QTP, MT ET Street Radial, MT ET Street Bias Ply).
Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tee-boy
Currently running a 26" 11.5 ET Street Bias Ply with an M6. Was leaving line at 5000 rpm.

Recently did a TH400 Swap with a 4XXX stall converter. Car is a full bolt on with 375lb weight reduction).

I'm wondering if the 26" ET Street tire is going to be enough leaving off a tbrake at 4XXX rpm?

If the 26" can't hold, what DOT tire would you recommend in a 28" (Hoosier QTP, MT ET Street Radial, MT ET Street Bias Ply).
IMO stick with a Bias Ply, if the tire is insufficent going up in Inches makes the side wall taller and allows it to wrinkle and give better.

The issue you would run into is the width, going to a 28" tall rim and running on a 8" wide rim makes the tire mushroom out and thats not optimal either. Running a 15 x 10 rim is ideal but then now your run into "clearing stock brakes" and "proper back-spacing issues", Aside from grinding down stock caliper to basically nothing and putting a Weld rim on there, your looking at something like a Bogart, 9.75" BS to make the tire fit right.

IF the tire needs to go on the street, a ET street Bias ply is fine but if it doesnt, ET Drag compounds are far better.

P.S. I have done well with a 26" Tall ET Drag on 15 x 8 Convo Pros, pulling front wheels but in light of what is needed to handle the power down the road, 28" all the way, now I am saving pennies for the Bogarts.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I currently have bogarts (10" rears). So, wheels/brakes won't be a problem. I just know on occasion I've had issues with 14 PSI getting the 26" ET Streets to hook with the M6 (track prep, too much clutch, or what not).

With the 4XXX stall converter and tbrake, it's starting to worry me, especially if the front wheels lift (could lead to disaster). 28" seems it would be good insurance but would require a gear change on my part.

Any advice/experience is appreciated. Definitely sticking with a DOT stamped tire.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

I currently have bogarts (10" rears). So, wheels/brakes won't be a problem. I just know on occasion I've had issues with 14 PSI getting the 26" ET Streets to hook with the M6 (track prep, too much clutch, or what not).

With the 4XXX stall converter and tbrake, it's starting to worry me, especially if the front wheels lift (could lead to disaster). 28" seems it would be good insurance but would require a gear change on my part.

Any advice/experience is appreciated. Definitely sticking with a DOT stamped tire.
Being that it was hit or miss on a M6, which I am in the same boat, you may find that you can still get away with a Auto swap, given you have the other suspension mods as well.

I would say give it a shot and see where the car is. Whats the rear gear ratio??
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Being that it was hit or miss on a M6, which I am in the same boat, you may find that you can still get away with a Auto swap, given you have the other suspension mods as well.

I would say give it a shot and see where the car is. Whats the rear gear ratio??
Got the suspension (poly stuff) TA, Relo brackets, LCA, PHB. 3.42's now, but converter was built around a 4.11 w/ a 26", will be changing gear in the next couple of months. Would need more than 4.11 w/ a 28" for trap rpm of 6200. Don't know how feasible it would be putting something larger than 4.11 in a 10 bolt.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

What worries me is the increased torque at launch from the converter.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

What power level is the car, also will there be a power adder such as Nitrous??
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bias ply tires are always more forgiving than radials, especially on the transbrake. Radials will typically be faster due to less rolling resistance and a stiffer sidewall.
Hoosier QTP bias plys are a good tire (a buddy ran them at the Pump gas drags 2 years ago and they bit off the brake every time). I've had good luck with M/T radials off the footbrake, and even got lucky with a few transbrake launches dead sticking.

Derek
Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default bias ply

Bias Ply it will be. don't like weight of the radials. Now just hope 26" will hook. Power level around 365 i would guess at wheels. Been a while since had a dyno and that was w/ the m6.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...ay-new-pb.html

This is what my car does, 26" tall M/T ET Drag nearly off the limiter, making 390ish rwhp. I would use these with a auto any day on this current configuration.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default dot tire

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...ay-new-pb.html

This is what my car does, 26" tall M/T ET Drag nearly off the limiter, making 390ish rwhp. I would use these with a auto any day on this current configuration.
problem w/ those is that you can't use them to take people's money in the DOT class.

EASY MONEY!!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

problem w/ those is that you can't use them to take people's money in the DOT class.

EASY MONEY!!
Lol, true, def true. I am sure a similar sized ET Street would do the same, I was borrowing them from TheChef, these tiny *** slicks have broken more parts over 3 different cars, it is not even funny.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the ET street will have a little more side stiffness due to the additional cords to get them for a DOT rating, so that may play into the comparison.

Derek