Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need new rotors, and everyones .02!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow need new rotors, and everyones .02!

i really need a new set of rotors. GM rotors suck ***! anyways, i was debating between the iRotors or the ones from SSBC. So far they have the best prices, and i was wondering if any of you had either of these and could give me some advice. By the way, what do the iRotors look like? they didnt have a pic on the website. thanks alot
Old 11-05-2003, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

My iRotors take some abuse, and work very well with my Hawk HPS pads. No problems so far in the few thousand miles (and many ABS-activating-dry-pavement-on-new-tires stops) Ive had them.

I will not cry though if one of them cracks because of the holes or slots. I wanted the iRotors for their looks, not longevity, and you shouldnt either. Any hole that is not cast into any rotor becomes a weak point, if you are aware of this, you wont have any problems.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

I went with Brembo blanks w/PBR pads. They look like stock but they perform very well. You wont have to worrie about warping or cracking with these rotors IMO!
Old 11-06-2003, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very pleased with my iRotors!
Best money I've spent so far.
Coupled with Raybestos ceramic pads, car stops quickly now.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:15 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I like them a lot. Well worth the money and they have held up very good so far. Only problem is they are starting to rust a little bit now after washing the car, but that goes away once ya brake .

Old 11-06-2003, 04:16 AM
TECH Resident

"wondering if any of you had either of these and could give me some advice"

Just received my new iRotors today. Quality looks great and I was very happy with the customer service. Tech folks advised in our application to go with only the slotted rotor. They had these custom cut for our car and the whole deal only took about 10 days from order to delivery. I can't wait to see how they perform.

You may also want to call Larry at Carbotech for pads. He is extremely knowledgable about which pad to use for any application.

Just my .02
Old 11-06-2003, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks alot guys for all of the quick responses! Looks like just about everyone went with the iRotors. Tho only reason i was considering the SSBC rotors is because they're only slotted like K9Kev had suggested, and the price also includes pads,but if the iRotors work as good as everyone says, looks like I'll be ordering some really soon! thanks again
Old 11-06-2003, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

I bought a set of used Baer Eradispeed Plus rotors. I was promised they were not warpped before the purchase. After installed they were. I had them turned and now they are fine.

I don't know about other rotors but the Eradispeed do warp! And Baer doesn't warrant them!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
Thanks alot guys for all of the quick responses! Looks like just about everyone went with the iRotors. Tho only reason i was considering the SSBC rotors is because they're only slotted like K9Kev had suggested, and the price also includes pads,but if the iRotors work as good as everyone says, looks like I'll be ordering some really soon! thanks again
JB,
These iRotors are going onto our PD's Interstate highway car. They are definately going to get tested to see if they warp!!
A typical braking application will involve the Camaro trolling along the Interstate at 65-70 mph then, spotting an 'interesting vehicle' going in the opposite direction, spiking the brakes (i.e. Hammering Them) to a very quick stop, then turning and chasing a car down and slowing again very quickly. Several times a day this car will see 140 MPH and the good folks at iRotors have sent us these to test out. I am sure that they are going to stand up behind their products as they have asked for our honest opinion.
I will post more as they are used and abused!!

Kev
Old 11-06-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kev, how about 110 on the front straight at MSR, out braking a 911 or M3 going into a 40mph right sweeper and then a quick left ... once every 1.7 miles for 30 minutes straight?

OEM warped, KVRs cracked, PSlots cracked, PStops, cracked ...

The only rotors that have stood up has been the Aimcos, bought at Autozone for $39. And we were running Carbotech Panther Plus or XP pads.

I have heard similar results from the Brembo OEm replacements as well.

Did you ever contact The Driver's Edge about attending a track event?
Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Larry, I considered Eradispeed rotors at first, but then i saw the price tag! rotors + pads = $900! i wonder if that price includes a change holder , since thats all i'd have left to my name! anyways, now i know that they arent "God's gift" to rotors like everyone says. Glad to hear you got yours worked out.
K9Kev, keep me posted on those brakes, i think i'm gonna get a set really soon anyways, i cant take all this vibration when i brake at highway speeds.
thanks everyone
Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still running various race pads on Brembo OEM fronts and Bendix rears (from Larry at Carbotech). I'm wearing out rotors with aggressive pads (they eat rotors), but I have had no warped rotors (other than stock).
Old 11-07-2003, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
Larry, I considered Eradispeed rotors at first, but then i saw the price tag! rotors + pads = $900! i wonder if that price includes a change holder , since thats all i'd have left to my name! anyways, now i know that they arent "God's gift" to rotors like everyone says. Glad to hear you got yours worked out.
I bought mine used and considerably less than $900. They were still not cheap and certainly not worth what I spent for warpped rotors.

My recommendation, don't waiste money on Baer Eradispeed rotors. They will warp! From what I have read get the cheap Auto Zone. They may be the best buy. If they warp then get them turned or throw them away and buy another set.

Last edited by Larry; 11-07-2003 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

good call!! i think i'm gonna go with the iRotors
Old 11-07-2003, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Larry
I bought a set of used Baer Eradispeed Plus rotors. I was promised they were not warpped before the purchase. After installed they were. I had them turned and now they are fine.

I don't know about other rotors but the Eradispeed do warp! And Baer doesn't warrant them!

FYI yes they do warrant them. I just picked up a set of 4 brand new, and they are waranted for LIFETIME against warpage.... to the ORIGINAL owner. Never buy used brake anything. Your life is at risk. I also will add that they are the best rotor I have tried in 5 years.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by K9Kev
JB,
These iRotors are going onto our PD's Interstate highway car. They are definately going to get tested to see if they warp!!
A typical braking application will involve the Camaro trolling along the Interstate at 65-70 mph then, spotting an 'interesting vehicle' going in the opposite direction, spiking the brakes (i.e. Hammering Them) to a very quick stop, then turning and chasing a car down and slowing again very quickly. Several times a day this car will see 140 MPH and the good folks at iRotors have sent us these to test out. I am sure that they are going to stand up behind their products as they have asked for our honest opinion.
I will post more as they are used and abused!!

Kev

AHH The only legal way to do 140 on the hwy... be a cop. how hypocritical... turn and chase the guy at 140mph while they were doing 10 over. FYI... I'm the guy you couldn't catch.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

AHH The only legal way to do 140 on the hwy... be a cop. how hypocritical... turn and chase the guy at 140mph while they were doing 10 over. FYI... I'm the guy you couldn't catch.
Amen to that. And 140 wouldnt get me either.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6shifter
FYI yes they do warrant them. I just picked up a set of 4 brand new, and they are waranted for LIFETIME against warpage.... to the ORIGINAL owner. Never buy used brake anything. Your life is at risk. I also will add that they are the best rotor I have tried in 5 years.
What other rotors have you used? Just wondering....

Kevin
Old 11-08-2003, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Kev, how about 110 on the front straight at MSR, out braking a 911 or M3 going into a 40mph right sweeper and then a quick left ... once every 1.7 miles for 30 minutes straight?

OEM warped, KVRs cracked, PSlots cracked, PStops, cracked ...

The only rotors that have stood up has been the Aimcos, bought at Autozone for $39. And we were running Carbotech Panther Plus or XP pads.

I have heard similar results from the Brembo OEm replacements as well.

Did you ever contact The Driver's Edge about attending a track event?
Mitch,

If I could get more than 1 day off in a row...I'd be happy. I looked at the site and once I get time (likely next spring) I'm going to try and come out a couple of times.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other officer I told you about from Richland Hills sold his PD on using one of these events as a refresher training class.

We schooled him pretty good ...