Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevelle swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Chevelle swap

Just lookin for some input here fellas for an idea..

For those that have dropped an LS Engine into one of these, how hard was it?

This is what I currently have to work with..I have the Conversion Mounts already in use on the Engine, and the way I made them work I'll be able to use the LT1 mounts aswell with any 350 Cradle that's a 3-bolt pattern. I'll have to get ahold of a Tranny Crossmember for the T56, and probably a custom Drive Shaft.

This is the goal.. my 402/T56 into a 1969 Chevelle using all of the necessary wiring from my 1995 Camaro.. as in the Engine Harness & PCM, Fuse Box, I want to use the Camaro Gauges & Steering Column(so I can retain Cruise Control and a functioning Wiper setup), and all the chassis wiring I need to make everything work, including the complete EFI setup to keep it a Fuel-Injected car.

I have all the necessary tools for wiring and I have a pretty good understanding of everything in the Camaro cause I've pretty much had the car apart everywhere to see everything and where it's located so I don't see any trouble with it.

Basically the Camaro will be stripped/parted, and the end result will be a modernized(so to speak..) 1969 Chevelle done tasetfully and clean.

I bought my Camaro to learn with and to play with, now I have the knowledge so it's time to put some work into something nice.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

So no one has any input here..
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are you going to make the wiring harness from a 95 camaro work on a 402?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

prolly easier to use standalone harness for management
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

^^My idea is to use the wiring in the Camaro and transfer it into the Chevelle, at the same time stripping all the non-essential crap out of the Camaro wiring. Yea it will be alot of work, but I see it being easier and cheaper than a bought Harness seeing as how I have a whole car to work with.

Originally Posted by jomomma
how are you going to make the wiring harness from a 95 camaro work on a 402?
The same way I did it now..
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

I'm just looking for inputs from those that have done this..I know it will be alot of work and I want to do this sometime in the future to have a nice car fully setup, at the moment now I don't have the time or the facility to do this so it won't happen any time soon.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM

quick question... will the whole front k member assembly ( suspenion, wheels, and engine ) fit onto the chevelle frame?? that way you have disc brakes and factory engine mounts and such/ or not even close?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

No, from a newer gen Camaro it won't work. I'm sure there is a way to fab the Disc Brakes onto the Chevelle Spindles.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BRP and others do market kits to use 4 Gen F-Body calipers and rotors... Check out there site.. both front and rear.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i read that its possible to use 90s truck suspension on the chevelles.
but i really dont know, im interested in buying a roller, its a 70 chevelle
the guy was big into gbody, also has a 89 gn roller fs
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question, why are you trying to use a 95 Camaro LT1 wiring with a LS1 engine.. Not that it can't be done, seem like a lot of extra work and buying of connectors and what not.

Why not start with LS1 wiring harness that would be very simple to convert it to a Standalone system and adapted to your Chevelle. You could also intergrade the LS1 BCM harness and BCM Unit to retain anything else (ABS, Cruise, Dash, etc) that would be standard on the Late Gen 4 F-body.

Many that have converted from early to late Gen 4th F-Body have just used the late model donner and converted everything from there to the early F-body. I have seen a few early 60's and 70's converted to late 4th Gen F-body BCM part (dash, gagues, etc), interior, etc., just seem to be a lot more trouble to first convert to LT1 to LS1 to A-Body... skip the LT1 stuff.. that is my recommendation.

But to your original question, No it is not a hard swap, it is a very common one now and all of the parts are almost off the shelf now and bolt on.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
Question, why are you trying to use a 95 Camaro LT1 wiring with a LS1 engine.. Not that it can't be done, seem like a lot of extra work and buying of connectors and what not.

Why not start with LS1 wiring harness that would be very simple to convert it to a Standalone system and adapted to your Chevelle. You could also intergrade the LS1 BCM harness and BCM Unit to retain anything else (ABS, Cruise, Dash, etc) that would be standard on the Late Gen 4 F-body.

Many that have converted from early to late Gen 4th F-Body have just used the late model donner and converted everything from there to the early F-body. I have seen a few early 60's and 70's converted to late 4th Gen F-body BCM part (dash, gagues, etc), interior, etc., just seem to be a lot more trouble to first convert to LT1 to LS1 to A-Body... skip the LT1 stuff.. that is my recommendation.

But to your original question, No it is not a hard swap, it is a very common one now and all of the parts are almost off the shelf now and bolt on.
his 95' car wiring is already setup for a ls motor
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Yea my Car is pretty much a LS/T56 Car now..my intentions are to replace the complte wiring in the Chevelle with the stuff from the Camaro that way the whole complete car will be new-school electronics.