Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

billet specialties wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default billet specialties wheel question

I am looking at a pair of street lites for my '01 ws6. will the 15x4 fit without any modification to my brakes or without using spacers or should i just get the 15x3.5. second question is will a 195/65r15 fit on either wheel?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 15x4's will fit, but you have to use a 1/4" spacer. Or you can just grind the calipers. You will have to do the same with 15x3.5's from what I am told
Old 05-31-2009, 05:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None will fit without either modifications or running a spacer. If you run a 1/4" spacer, the 1.625 backspace which is already too small is even worse. You're essentially have a wheel setup with a 1 3/8" backspace! Which would look terrible not to mention have problems with the fender lip area.

Our Bogart wheels fit directly and have a larger backspace which tucks the wheel under the fender well area better. We run backspace between 1.75" up to 2" for the F-body using OEM brakes/calipers/pads.

I'd never run that type of tire, its the wrong diameter and probably not rated for the small wheel. ABS will no longer work if you care about it.

Keep the radials for your street setup, leave a skinny/slick setup with proper tire that are designed for racing. Handling will be terrible as well as braking...no sense in trying to make a normal street setup out of a skinny wheel (if that is what your trying to do).

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

So what Backspacing do you go with? I'm trying to order a set and have to find out what I need exactly. What B.S. will work on either a 15x3.5 or 15x4 on a stock LS1 front caliper car?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
My first paragraph answers this question directly. 1.625 or 1.625 or you can choose 1.625 which all is too small in my opinion and explained as such.
so he wants a 1.625 bs ????

Old 06-15-2009, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Wow... Seems you really gotta post like an *** on everyones threads who aren't running/talking about your brand... Wasn't asking you BTW, but thanks for the sarcasm.
Might want to try decaff...

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If you need help with any info on the street lites pm me, and I will get you the info you need. SJM you really shouldn't dog on Billet Specialties wheels just because dragwheelz has poor customer service doesn't mean that the Street lites aren't a suitable wheel! Bogarts are overpriced and you cant even drive them on the street without worrying if they are going to break or not because they are a dragwheel only. If you can afford them and are using them for track only get them, but if you want a slick and skinny setup for the street/strip get the Street Lites in my opinion.

Oh yea and it gets kind of repetitive seeing you post in every dragwheel question about how your wheels. People want to get the answer to there question not a sales pitch.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:24 PM
FormerVendor

Transam69230,

I'm not "*******" anyone. My comment was blanketed towards ANY manufacture or representative, not anyone specific, if you or others mistook my comment, I apologize.

There's nothing wrong with Billets wheels, they as well as others are an option; they are built using the same manufactures shells we’ve used when we've built street/strip wheel in the past. We just as theirs are a heavy option...as I've also indicated. The fronts also do not fit well; our street/strip wheels obviously were no different.

Regarding your comments towards overpriced, we are not the most expensive wheel on the market. Not by far. Regarding streetability, we made street/strip wheels long before the others you're referring to. Once again, they used the same shells...you're completely incorrect from your statement.

Also for the record, the same shells Billet is using, we'd seen fail as well as a few months ago one of their street/strip wheels using the same shells failed. I have been apprehensive about using them and still considering the shells as a street/strip design. Actually, some seen have had material thinner than our drag shells.

We do not only offer a drag wheel only, we offer a range of wheels from drag to road race. Since you've been incorrect in most of your statements, it’s obvious that you do not understand our products and what we have to offer...so I have failed in some respects discussing what we can do...others may not realize this as well.

Unfortunately, many do not read previous posts as the same questions are asked over and over and over, this is why I try to educate users on differences. It's obviously that you've missed reading some helpful information others and I have posted.

I think the posters questions were answered already so there is little to discuss or change the subject. If anyone else needs help with the discussed wheels, as I’ve also indicated on previous posts, contact Burkhart Racing who is a sponsor on this board.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-16-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:50 PM
FormerVendor

Btw, here's a picture of a street lite that broke. This is NOT to say their wheel is bad, ours is better or whatever you want to read into it. Any wheel can fail. This is why I am concerned to using those shells and calling one of our wheel designs a street/strip design.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd take a Bogart wheel over Billet Specialties any day.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

bogarts blow up on the street and they are more $ plus billet wheels are sfi certified are the boagrts? and billet offers a 15x4 with 2.25" bs and a 1.625 i know the 1.625's are working fine with a slight caliper trim or small spacer.... that would be my choice. and as far as quality goes the billets are second to none... my friends have bogarts and envy my street lites.... maybe boagarts arents sfi tested because they dont pass...... just an idea.....
Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Do YOU not see the picture above??? That's not our wheel. Its the SECOND failure. Please read the discussions above before posting things like this. I never stated Billets wheels are not a quality wheel. They are very nice, heavy like our street/strip wheels but nice. They don't offer solutions to many applications and are hard to customize due to design. Hell we've used the same type shells in our street/strip wheels and use billet material...so that particular design been there and done that!!

SFI!!!....Glad to respond to this one again. SFI rating has nothing to do with streetability. It is no guarantee or fitness of warranty for street usage. This was debated quite a bit with a former "business" owner that some of you are having problems with now. Ours have passed SFI testing...Do you think in over 25 years of production our Bogart’s are just made from the hip without testing??

Weld alumastars as well as many others are SFI tested and approved with current stickers...I would never use them on the street, it’s a very nice high-end drag only wheel. I'm mentioning this for you as an example of why SFI rating has absolutely nothing to do with streetability.

Sometimes it’s frustrating to see people post discussions that some may be very limited in knowledge regarding topics discussed. If it was not for some of the folks on this board, we'd all believe in the tooth fairy.

They do not use the same front rim as you... There will never be a good fitment soloution for front wheels with stock brakes, they are just not designed for a 15x4. I know that the cracked wheel that is pictured is a BILLET SPECIALTIES wheel... I am also well aware of the fact that SFI testing has nothing to do with street use but it says alot for the strength of the product.... maybe you should post a poll to see how many bogart 15x4's have cracked vs st lite 15x4's then we may find a anwer.... im done
Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

When Billet Specialties can build a wheel to fit ALL FOUR corners with NO grinding with the CORRECT backspace for the rear AND front, let me know. Thanks.

-Lance
Old 06-17-2009, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastbillet
maybe you should post a poll to see how many bogart 15x4's have cracked vs st lite 15x4's then we may find a anwer.... im done
Give it time, fatigue and failures do occour. Bogarts have been around A LOT longer than the Street Lites.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
When Billet Specialties can build a wheel to fit ALL FOUR corners with NO grinding with the CORRECT backspace for the rear AND front, let me know. Thanks.

-Lance
I don't have a drag setup but my 17s fit like a glove...just was saying, I'm sure you're talking about the drag setup though.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tbird31
I don't have a drag setup but my 17s fit like a glove...just was saying, I'm sure you're talking about the drag setup though.
15s are the topic of discussion here, but my 17" Alumastars also fit like a glove.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Hey Lance, I'm beginning to think "fastbillet" is dragwheelz. Look at the post count.
I thought the same thing. Wouldn't be surprising. Interesting username.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

I thought the same thing. Wouldn't be surprising. Interesting username.
He's located in Chicago as well...another odd coincidence:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...br-1000-a.html

"fastbillet
My Garage

Trader Rating: 0
Posts: 15 anyone interested in a sport bike trade? 08 cbr 1000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looking for a 98-01 clean z28 willing to trade a 08 cbr1000rr black and silver bike has 1100 miles clean title in hand.. over 5k in upgrades ohlins suspension and marchesini wheels.... bike is amazing just want a race car!! located in chicago il.... "
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

i am NOT drag wheelz trust me and i am NOT jason... im just sick of hearing how great bogarts are in every thread... every wheel has it's plus's and minuses they are all intended to do different things and suit different styles. My friends have had a few bad experiences with them and one experience almost totaled his car.. im done nagging sjm do your thing.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Give it time, fatigue and failures do occour. Bogarts have been around A LOT longer than the Street Lites.
agreed in my honest opinion 15x4's are just not a street wheel.... unless you go with a solid 1pc forged wheel.. i dont see anything destroying that... but then again those are 3.5's and are not intended for street use although they would probalbly fair the best without chance for cracking...

Quick Reply: billet specialties wheel question