Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads without a tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads without a tune

Can I install heads without a tune. I'm looking to buy a set of heads, no cam yet. For a 98 z28 A4, should i need a tune afterward or will i be good?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it helps, i just got done with my ls6 head swap yesterday. havnt driven it too hard yet, but it idles fine. but i have an m6, you got an a4. you probably will need a tune because of the shift points.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Does that mean that heads will change where my car shifts or is it b/c i have to change my shift points to get more out of the heads?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would need a tune because the air/fuel ratio will be off. upgrading just heads is ok but not much of a mod because the stock cam can only let so much air in anyway. usually its cam only first then heads later not the other way around.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eamador11
you would need a tune because the air/fuel ratio will be off. upgrading just heads is ok but not much of a mod because the stock cam can only let so much air in anyway. usually its cam only first then heads later not the other way around.
I'm aware of that, but why go through the tedious work of changing all the springs when I can buy a set of new heads with upgraded springs and throw the cam in later.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im having big problems with my tune after putting heads on...VE table is way off....thing will not run good at WOT...6-7 degrees KR and very lean.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Im having big problems with my tune after putting heads on...VE table is way off....thing will not run good at WOT...6-7 degrees KR and very lean.
Did you install the heads before a cam swap?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

You will be fine. I installed cnc 317 heads and 04 zo6 cam in my buddies 99 t/a no tune with wideband and his a/f was good and car ran great...oh yeah he has lt's and a slp ram air. But as soon as you get a cam get a tune, his cam was only a stock zo6 cam not too much larger than stock.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nebur8
Did you install the heads before a cam swap?
yes. stock cam. stage 1 ls6's onto a lq9.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

You will need a tune. If you do heads only (which I actually think is a good idea for a DD), then I'd consider several options:
1. quality ported perimeter bolt heads (GTP or Advanced Induction)
2. ported 243s, bang for buck but you will need valve covers and coils switching to center bolt heads
3. AFRs - I'd mill them and have them ported, you'll still need the valve covers and coils. This is the most expensive option but will be the biggest kick too.

Sling a FAST combo on there and you'll smoke some cam only cars, taking them by surprise. Regardless, you will need a tune.

What is your budget?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nebur8
I'm aware of that, but why go through the tedious work of changing all the springs when I can buy a set of new heads with upgraded springs and throw the cam in later.
This is true too, plus you can leave a lot more **** connected doing heads only, saving some serious work.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should be fine without a tune with heads. Your idle will not change dramatically with just a head swap. Timing should be about the same, as timing is based around the cam profile as opposed to the heads. Remember, our cars use the MAF probably 95% of the time once your car is warm.
A tune would still be beneficial, especially if you're running on a stock tune because they tend to be so rich at WOT, but ultimately your MAF is there for you
Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

From experience:

2003 Z06, GM CNC/milled heads, bringing compression up to 11.2:1, Kooks headers, no cats, cold air intake. No tune work done at all, AFR was 12.8 at WOT, car ran 12.0@120mph on stock tires. Car ran 116mph stock. So picked up 40hp I would say is a fair estimate.

Would it of picked up more had it been tuned, I am sure it would. Was it a must? No not on my car, car ran without any problems.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cobra R
From experience:

2003 Z06, GM CNC/milled heads, bringing compression up to 11.2:1, Kooks headers, no cats, cold air intake. No tune work done at all, AFR was 12.8 at WOT, car ran 12.0@120mph on stock tires. Car ran 116mph stock. So picked up 40hp I would say is a fair estimate.

Would it of picked up more had it been tuned, I am sure it would. Was it a must? No not on my car, car ran without any problems.
Your car probably had a rich factory tune (as many do) to be safe. Those of us in hotter climates, like TX and FL, have to be a little more careful than you Northern guys about leaning out/detonation.

OP: Even without a tune, it is likely it will run (very general statement) ok, especially at part throttle with light/moderate loads. Depending on how good your heads are (and the rest of the intake/exhaust tract) and how rich (or not) your factory tune is (especially spark and A/F tables), you may be good to go or really asking for detonation. $300-400 is cheap insurance to prevent that plus pick up more ponies and MPGs.

What other mods do you have?
LS6 intake?
Long tubes?
Cat-back?
Still have cats?
Lid?
Ported TB?
If you're already taking advantage of a rich factory tune, this may be an extra bad idea.

Further, the tune will optimize shift pressures, shift points, RPM limiter, eliminate torque management, etc., making the car run even harder. In reality, changing the heads MIGHT affect both idle and shift points or may not.

You are leaving out critical items:
1. BUDGET
2. Which heads are you getting?
3. Other mods
and others.

Without a tune, you may be OK, may not. I will say this with 100% certainty - No one here knows for sure what the outcome will be, though they all seem to think they do. Each one's experience (and car) is a little different. Without knowing all the above, we really can't even give it a good educated guess. If we knew ALL the answers above, your mods, had a good dyno sheet AND some recorded data, we could give you the answer which would approach 100% accuracy.

Regardless, the tune is not a smart place to try and save a few bucks. It's you car and your wallet, do what you want. Don't say you weren't told.

Last edited by jmilz28; 06-05-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Heads without a tune