Texas Medical Center

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Texas Medical Center

Anyone work in the health care profession at the TMC??? I just finished my RN program and am starting to look for jobs... but seems like none are available for new grads.

Just wanted to see if anyone had the inside scoop. I;ve sent resumes to Ben Taub & UTMB but no luck
Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Teching In

There must be a need somewhere. We are currently building new hospitals for Baylor, Methodist and Texas Childrens. The later two are going up in Katy. They are creating an entire new med center in that area. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks! there's a ton of positions open for Rn's, but they all require prior experience. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

When my ex girlfriend started as a nurse she got experience at nursing homes first, they will hire with no experience.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I actually live fairly close to TMC.. (Denison).. Have you tried Wilson N. Jones in sherman?
I actually run a Mobil Radiology company and we cater to Long term Care facilities and LTAC ( Long term Acute Care) Hospitals. The bulk of my business is in the DFW/Surrounding area's. I deal alot with "Corp." Nurses..
Alot of the Directors of Nursing start out anywhere from $70K to 6 figures.. GL, be patient and you will find something.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Its usually harder to get hired as a new grad anywhere in the Medical Center, unless you did an internship towards the end of the RN program. What department are you wanting to work in?? I know St. Catherine's in Katy hires new grads for the ED as well as L&D. What part of Houston do you live??
Old 06-02-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I live in the South East side of Houston... Im wanting to get some med/surge experience, but will work just about anything that is open EXCEPT L&D lol.... Some of my friends got accepted into various internship programs in the med center with Memorial Herman... I had clinical the day, (they had their job fair that day)- so i wasnt able to go Now i wish i had skipped that clinical.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
I actually live fairly close to TMC.. (Denison).. Have you tried Wilson N. Jones in sherman?
I actually run a Mobil Radiology company and we cater to Long term Care facilities and LTAC ( Long term Acute Care) Hospitals. The bulk of my business is in the DFW/Surrounding area's. I deal alot with "Corp." Nurses..
Alot of the Directors of Nursing start out anywhere from $70K to 6 figures.. GL, be patient and you will find something.
sorry bud,... .i meant the TMC in houston.... I live in S.E Houston
Old 06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Robert@G-Force
When my ex girlfriend started as a nurse she got experience at nursing homes first, they will hire with no experience.
im wanting to work in a hospital environment.... but if nothing comes up, i'll look into a nursing home.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at MD Anderson and I believe we are in a hiring freeze except for nurses. We are currently adding several floors to our in-patient hospital area. You may try submitting an your resume. May also try some of the temp to hire companies that specialize in the medical field to get experience. Good luck.
Oh if you do submit a resume pm me and give my name as a reference and I will split the referral fee with you, that is if they are still giving them out.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I work at Methodist Hospital. I graduated May 2007 and was hired on right out of school into the operating room. Methodist only hires new grads with BSN's though unless you have some other experience.
Most hospitals hire new grads to begin in the Jan/June classes. How long ago did you apply? I remember I had my job secured 2 months before graduation.
I would think though that with the shortage you should still get on somewhere.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1972_Z-28
I work at MD Anderson and I believe we are in a hiring freeze except for nurses. We are currently adding several floors to our in-patient hospital area. You may try submitting an your resume. May also try some of the temp to hire companies that specialize in the medical field to get experience. Good luck.
Oh if you do submit a resume pm me and give my name as a reference and I will split the referral fee with you, that is if they are still giving them out.
I'll look into Md Anderson and drop you a PM later tonight.... THanks!

Originally Posted by wickedrx7
I work at Methodist Hospital. I graduated May 2007 and was hired on right out of school into the operating room. Methodist only hires new grads with BSN's though unless you have some other experience.
Most hospitals hire new grads to begin in the Jan/June classes. How long ago did you apply? I remember I had my job secured 2 months before graduation.
I would think though that with the shortage you should still get on somewhere.
I did a couple of rotations their and i loved it!! But i graduated from San Jac which is an ADN program (reason i didnt apply)

I applied around 2 weeks ago; since then i have taken Kaplan and am studying for NCLEX.... Im still waiting for my confirmation letter in order to set a testing date.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

dont settle for nursing home theres plenty of hospitals that will hire grads, i would suggest more critical care like icu or pcu way better then medsurg floor imo you get way better exp.l normal medsurg floors cant hang alot of drips and push heart meds so all the interesting pt's get moved from a medsurg floor to a tele. plus its 2-3 ratio in icuand 3-4 on a tele floor. take the nclex yet? i know the hosp i work at has night openings for icu for new grads
Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Yea, I know you wouldnt work in L&D, just a FYI. Well my director here at MHSL hires new grads for med/surg. It's mainly post op patients and we have pedi patients as well. So you will eventually have to take PALS which they offer here. MHSL would be a far drive for you, so I would check into Memorial Hermann SE. Goodluck!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Oh, if anything try Premier Staffing, they staff for all of Memorial Hermann. Maybe you could get your foot in the door through agency and then get hired on directly at a hospital. I'm not sure their requirements, but it wouldnt hurt to look into it.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Forgot to mention the VA hospital. I know they have hired without prior experience recently. Co-worker of mine wife just got out of nursing and got hired right away but it was nights and weekends but it is a start. I know that doesn't work for everyone especially if you have choices due to being in demand. But it can be a start of better things to come.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
10 Second Fun Car

TCH is on hiring freeze
Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the input everyone! I checked BTGH this morning and had new grad internships for ER, ICU, and med surge... so i applied for them; hope they call me and set up an interview.... I really want to work at Ben Taub
Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck to you.....I love my job....nursing is a satisfying career