Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Can I use DR's as a autox and circle track tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use DR's as a autox and circle track tire?

I did a search already and only found 3 or 4 threads from couple years back wanted to see if anyone had any new info on this.

Here is my dilema. Im going to be doing my first autox and circle track race in 2 weeks. My Transam as all suspension work done possible. Last year I ran a Cooper Zeon Sport AS all around 275/40/17 and couldnt be happier.

This year i switched to a Nitto 555R Drag Radial out back cause i was blowing the tires off (Cam and motor work done)

I read where some guys were saying its a great tire for this as long as you increase the pressure. This is all i have to use. Im still running the Cooper Zeons up front also. So should i stick to this tire? Or should I swap the front Coopers to the back and put the DR's up front. Or what should i do without involving buying other tires lol. Thanks for all the help if you can answer my questions
Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

definitely leave the DR's on the back. while i dont think its recommended to road race on a DR, i think the Nitto would be the best suited.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

My Mickeys DRs suck big time for curves. My Avon were wayyyy better to hold the rear!! and I was running 32psi on the M/T...I think they hold better at lower psi like 28psi(what I'm at right now)
Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

the only drag radial you should ever use on an autox or track is the 555RII. drag radial tread/compound with a stiffer carcass. most any other DR will not have the stiff sidewall needed for cornering. youll just roll over the edges, wearing out the tires and possibly getting yourself into a dangerous situation.

id go with your coopers instead. you might be alright with the 555Rs in the rear, with extra pressure. but with the extra pressure, youre loosing the traction you get with the DRs, so why bother with them.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
the only drag radial you should ever use on an autox or track is the 555RII. drag radial tread/compound with a stiffer carcass. most any other DR will not have the stiff sidewall needed for cornering. youll just roll over the edges, wearing out the tires and possibly getting yourself into a dangerous situation.

id go with your coopers instead. you might be alright with the 555Rs in the rear, with extra pressure. but with the extra pressure, youre loosing the traction you get with the DRs, so why bother with them.
So I should switch the coopers to the back and put the DR's up front?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGriff04
So I should switch the coopers to the back and put the DR's up front?
No, just don't run the DR's at all...on any corner.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Ok thank you thats all i needed to know. Now i guess i need to find 2 tires to run that are cheap lol.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Now my next question. What tires should i consider running. I dont really want to go to all competition tire just a great normal tire to run. Only thing with the Coopers last year was when i was hot laping on the circle track i was coming sideways out of every corner and it kinda scared me a little.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

is this an actual competition.....like are you really trying to compete and win something, or are you just out to screw around. until youre serious about racing, ie: plan on running a full season, making every race, improving yourself each time, etc etc, i wouldnt bother getting any kind of 'upgraded' tire. just use whatever you have, keep the coopers if thats what youve got.

and what kind of circle track racing are you talking about. wheel-to-wheel racing, or time trials? is this one of those races where its 2 cars on a track at once, half circle/half autox type thing?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
is this an actual competition.....like are you really trying to compete and win something, or are you just out to screw around. until youre serious about racing, ie: plan on running a full season, making every race, improving yourself each time, etc etc, i wouldnt bother getting any kind of 'upgraded' tire. just use whatever you have, keep the coopers if thats what youve got.

and what kind of circle track racing are you talking about. wheel-to-wheel racing, or time trials? is this one of those races where its 2 cars on a track at once, half circle/half autox type thing?
Its a once in a while thing nothing serious there trophys and payouts to winners so im all about the money lol.

And the circle track is 2 cars on the track at once for one lap.

I actually got my hands on another set of wheels im going to borrow that have GoodYear Eagle F1's on them and im going to use those tires on the back and take the DR's off for the event
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Eskimo
10-4. DR's go straight. You will hurt them or they will hurt you.