Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch sliping because of Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch sliping because of Oil?

Two weeks ago I noticed that i had an oil leak but i am not sure how long it was leaking for ( coming from the drain bolt). Right before I realized i had a leak I noticed the clutch (CF DF) was slipping slightly in higher gears even at low RPM. I had my oil leak fixed yesterday and when driving home i realized the clutch was slipping veryyyy badly in every gear except first (mostly high gears). Pretty much as soon as i get on the gas any more then 1/4 of WOT the rpms shoot up and I can smell the clutch. I brought it back to my buddy who fixed the oil leak and he thinks that oil has gotten into my clutch because the clutch only has about 30k on it and you can also smell some oil burning off when I stop.

Pretty much what I want to know is have any of you ever had oil on your clutch from a leak and if so how can you fix it? Just ***** foot it around till it burns off? or maybe spray some break cleaner in there? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll have to pull the clutch out and spray it down with brake cleaner... but if you have 30K miles on it.. mind as well put a new clutch disc in and check your flywheel to possibly have it turned.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Man i had a spec stage 2 it had 4000 miles on it . It had to much grease on the input shaft that was thrown onto the clutch i had to replace the clutch
Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Teching In

What do you guys think about sparying brake cleaner into the clutch area from the slit behind the oil pan ( where i think the oil entered)?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

if the clutch soaked up oil, cleaning it is not going to do anything.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Teching In

This is bulllshit.. Why is that slit even there? I cannot justify buying a new clutch just because it got oil on it.

Anyone actually have this problem before and fix it without buying a new clutch?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Default ummm

I had a tex did same thing on ! i just put it on 4th and heated it up ! very bad idea though . change it out buddy!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Haha yeah that's not a good idea.. I can drive it but i cant get on it at all in any gear other than 1 and 2. I don't even have the money to put a new clutch in. I have wasted so much money on this car for the stupidest problems. I have not been able to do any performance mods cuz im constantly fixing the most unlikely bullshit.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

I have wasted so much money on this car for the stupidest problems. I have not been able to do any performance mods cuz im constantly fixing the most unlikely bullshit.

lol, welcome to my world.

GL buddy, any threads ive read on oil on the clutch, (new or old) usually results in a new clutch. I feel for ya man, ive been chasing vibrations/noises for over a year now,,,bout ready to call it quits and buy a damn truck and a boat and call it a day.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You CANNOT clean a clutch disk with a solvent of any kind. Cluth material is poarus and soaks up a fluid, u may clean the surface but there is no way to get all of the contaminate out. Once heat builds up in the disk the contaminate will surface and it will slip. Your gonna have to replace. Iv never been a fan of Center Force, when I was a import guy nor now. There product just hasnt sold me compared to other companies with products of the same price. While your in there replace the rear main seal too, its a big cause of clutch failures as well
Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't clean a clutch disk. 30K miles its going to need a complete clutch, and a new slave.

If the flywheel isn't too damaged from you slipping the **** out of it, and creating more hot spots... it can be turned. I'd just buy a complete clutch/flywheel/slave.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Aeroboy
This is bulllshit.. Why is that slit even there? I cannot justify buying a new clutch just because it got oil on it.
Okay, then justify it by saying, "I bought a new clutch because I can't drive my car without one."

Oh, and join the club. SPEC 3+ toasted. Couldn't afford another so I had to get a heavy-*** LS7.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

It's just an inspection hole BTW. How do you figure you would be able to spray through that hole, and somehow through the pressure plate surrounding the clutch disk?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
It's just an inspection hole BTW. How do you figure you would be able to spray through that hole, and somehow through the pressure plate surrounding the clutch disk?
Because that is where the oil entered into the clutch.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I'm willing to bet it's a coincidence, and you're clutch was on it's way out.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I'm willing to bet it's a coincidence, and you're clutch was on it's way out.
No way, Clutch pedal still has full pressure. The clutch does not even slip in first gear. Its the worst in the higher gears at low rpms because that is when its the hardest for the car to accelerate due to gear ratios. I noticed the clutch slipping in the high gears about a week before I realized I was leaking oil.

Quick Reply: Clutch sliping because of Oil?