Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dynoed the car today, ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Dynoed the car today, ???

Well I went back and had the car retuned today and was not very happy with the out come. 489rwhp 458rwtq. The dyno was at 5,100 ft elevation, out side temp was 84 deg, timing was left at 17 deg, and the A/F was steady at 12.09-12.45, 11#'s of boost, 91 octane. I blew the stock accordion hose to the throttle body to pieces so that ended the day before we could get more agressive with it. Input, coments, help. I was hoping for around 600 to the wheels, alot of money and time for power that represents a big head/cam set up ??????
Old 06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get discouraged, that's alot of elevation, 84 degrees with elevation is a terrible indicator of how your really doing. Also I would think you would want it a little richer? 11.5 just an opinion. I don't think a head and cam package is going to make big numbers in those conditions.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Deff need that a/f in the 11.5 range. But those are good numbers for 91 oct and the elevation. get some better gas in there and up the timing. What dyno was being used?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont dwell on the number. Its just an arbittrary number. First, what kind of dyno? Second these numbers should be corrected? Right? so the elevation is already corrected out supposedly.....But the question is, what was the correction factor?

Also, besides the number, forget that, look at the real information the dyno gave you. When did it make the power? rpm ? When did it make 11psi?

In other words....post the graph, and the specifics on the dyno. If it was a loaded dyno, what was the weight set to? 4th gear? rear gear? Tire size?

What was the AIT?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darooke
Deff need that a/f in the 11.5 range. But those are good numbers for 91 oct and the elevation. get some better gas in there and up the timing. What dyno was being used?
X2 I like it to be mid to low 11's
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mike13
Don't get discouraged, that's alot of elevation, 84 degrees with elevation is a terrible indicator of how your really doing. Also I would think you would want it a little richer? 11.5 just an opinion. I don't think a head and cam package is going to make big numbers in those conditions.
I know the dyno is just a tool used for tuning the car, and I'm not that caught up in the #'s just thought they would be higher. The elevation does kill power so I was not suprised by that.
Originally Posted by darooke
There was no knock what so ever through out the entire 14 pulls on the dyno before the hose blew so I think I am going to go more agressive after I fix the plumbing and get a wide band gauge. I realy don't want to add higher than pump gas octane because this is a 95% street car and 91 is the highest we can get here in utah at the pumps.

Originally Posted by 1320
Dont dwell on the number. Its just an arbittrary number. First, what kind of dyno? Second these numbers should be corrected? Right? so the elevation is already corrected out supposedly.....But the question is, what was the correction factor?

Also, besides the number, forget that, look at the real information the dyno gave you. When did it make the power? rpm ? When did it make 11psi?

In other words....post the graph, and the specifics on the dyno. If it was a loaded dyno, what was the weight set to? 4th gear? rear gear? Tire size?

What was the AIT?
The dyno was a dyno jet, 4th gear on the dyno, 3,600#'s car weight, tire size is a nitto 315, 342 rear gear ratio, corrected was sae 1.18, and it made 11 #'s of boost at 5,500 rpms.

Don't get me wrong the car ran great and pulled hard to 6,500 rpms. I'm happy with the way it's running the car made 390 rwtq, 345 rwhp at 4,000 rpms. Thanks for the input guys!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Regardless of knock...your EGT's could be damn high with lean mixtures, which will result in melted pistons.

It isnt worth the risk
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Regardless of knock...your EGT's could be damn high with lean mixtures, which will result in melted pistons.

It isnt worth the risk
+1 on that. Also 17 degrees of timing without meth, thats quite a bit of timing.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

What ever you do is your business, but that is a little lean. On a dyno you can get away with that, but under a load (driving) will be a different story. The fuel you are putting in is also cooling the cylinders hence why one of the reasons for running it on the rich side during WOT runs. Not giving you a lesson you probably already know, just reminding you of what is happening with the extra fuel. I run about 20* and about 11.5-11.8 AFR. GL! Knock is caused by a lot of things and not only being lean.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
What ever you do is your business, but that is a little lean. On a dyno you can get away with that, but under a load (driving) will be a different story. The fuel you are putting in is also cooling the cylinders hence why one of the reasons for running it on the rich side during WOT runs. Not giving you a lesson you probably already know, just reminding you of what is happening with the extra fuel. I run about 20* and about 11.5-11.8 AFR. GL! Knock is caused by a lot of things and not only being lean.
Do you have meth or c16 to run 20*?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

No, but I do have 93. I was running 24 on 93 on the 408 it worked untill I added about 8Lbs of boost ha ha ha. I burnt one of my pistons going lean my mistake got in a hurry etc...
Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

No, but I do have 93. I was running 24 on 93 on the 408 it worked untill I added about 8Lbs of boost ha ha ha. I burnt one of my pistons going lean my mistake got in a hurry etc...
That's alot of timing, I'd be scared. I'd be scaredof the motor blowing up, but more scared of the beating I would receive from the wife when I told why it happened
Old 06-07-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Alright, so heres some more Q's. So the general consensus is that I'm too lean and the timing is too high. So the adjustment's need to be getting the AFR's in the 11 range and more timing or less? Also at this high elevation we don't need as much fuel as you sea level guys does this apply in the FI world too? I'm a golf course mechanic and with all my carburetored equipment I either have to change to smaller jets or adjust the carb to remove fuel so they don't run pig rich and foul plugs. As most of my equipment is set up to run at sea level not a mile high. I'm not a expert in the tuning word, the tuner told me this tune was very safe and was not close to pushing any limits of my engine ??? Keep the comments comming.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:44 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
That's alot of timing, I'd be scared. I'd be scaredof the motor blowing up, but more scared of the beating I would receive from the wife when I told why it happened
That is where you and I are different I guess cause I don't have to tell her anything as it is me who is paying for it not her, money and the work lol!

Alright, so heres some more Q's. So the general consensus is that I'm too lean and the timing is too high. So the adjustment's need to be getting the AFR's in the 11 range and more timing or less? Also at this high elevation we don't need as much fuel as you sea level guys does this apply in the FI world too? I'm a golf course mechanic and with all my carburetored equipment I either have to change to smaller jets or adjust the carb to remove fuel so they don't run pig rich and foul plugs. As most of my equipment is set up to run at sea level not a mile high. I'm not a expert in the tuning word, the tuner told me this tune was very safe and was not close to pushing any limits of my engine ??? Keep the comments comming.
Well I was saying that it was ok on the timing and you could probably put a little more in it depending on how safe you wanted to be etc.. I do think you need more fuel in the 11.5-11.8 range IMO. And as far as being safe at that elevation and all I am going to tell you AFR is going to be the same no mater where you are because the WB reads the amount of O2 and not fuel and so if you have less O2 at elevation etc... you would need less fuel (That is about you leaning the golf carts out so that would be right.), but the AFR should be in the same range no matter what elevation you are at 11.5 at 5000ft and 11.5 at sea level should be the same amount of O2 being measured etc...You might not need as much fuel to make it to 11.5AFR but it should be the same ratio basicly. I hope it came out so you could understand what I am saying. And I am not an expert tunner either I just do mine.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

That is where you and I are different I guess cause I don't have to tell her anything as it is me who is paying for it not her, money and the work lol!
No difference there, I guess mine just bitches more
Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I was saying that it was ok on the timing and you could probably put a little more in it depending on how safe you wanted to be etc.. I do think you need more fuel in the 11.5-11.8 range IMO. And as far as being safe at that elevation and all I am going to tell you AFR is going to be the same no mater where you are because the WB reads the amount of O2 and not fuel and so if you have less O2 at elevation etc... you would need less fuel (That is about you leaning the golf carts out so that would be right.), but the AFR should be in the same range no matter what elevation you are at 11.5 at 5000ft and 11.5 at sea level should be the same amount of O2 being measured etc...You might not need as much fuel to make it to 11.5AFR but it should be the same ratio basicly. I hope it came out so you could understand what I am saying. And I am not an expert tunner either I just do mine.
I got ya so the ratio will always be the same it just takes less fuel in high elevation to reach the 11's AFR VS sea level.

Lets talk timing... The first guy that tuned had my timing at 25* and the new tuner yesterday told me that was way to high and thats why he backed it off to 17*. Comments? Also the lower the timing # the safer and less power and the higher the timing # more power and getting more dangerous???
Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
I got ya so the ratio will always be the same it just takes less fuel in high elevation to reach the 11's AFR VS sea level.

Lets talk timing... The first guy that tuned had my timing at 25* and the new tuner yesterday told me that was way to high and thats why he backed it off to 17*. Comments? Also the lower the timing # the safer and less power and the higher the timing # more power and getting more dangerous???
That's my understanding of it as well. I run 15* total timing with 93 octane.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
That's my understanding of it as well. I run 15* total timing with 93 octane.
Coppy that, thanks man.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Coppy that, thanks man.
No problem. Something I overlooked, what is your compression ratio?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah there are different tuners that do different stuff I know of one who just insisits that he can run up to 26* when he does it lol etc..., but I do what I want, and generally don't recomend people going over 20 with 93 down here, that is why I said it is your choice where you want to end up on the WOT timing with 91 I would thing 17-19 probably being in the correct range. But it will typicly make less power to a point with less timing, but be safer because less chance of detonation when its hot etc... GL.

Quick Reply: Dynoed the car today, ???