Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Aluminum Flywheel & Clutch Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Flywheel & Clutch Q's

Im in need of a new flywheel and clutch. Im only putting down 400/400. and im planning on spraying sometime in the near future.

Im looking for suggestions or places/sponsors to purchase a aluminum flywheel and clutch. So far im inbetween a fidanza alum. flywheel w/ spec clutch(not sure what stage) or the LS7 clutch w. ls2 alum flywheel. I dont want to run a heavy steel flywheel.

Any info would help. Especially if you know of a good hook up! Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered a Monster Stage 3 with their 15lb Chromoly flywheel from MorrisMotorsports. All the reviews for Monster have been excellent and they just started a sale....I'd look into a Monster setup.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoever you get the flywheel from, I can say I love the revs (how fast they are coming up) with the aluminum flywheel. 450hp here.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Banging some gears

I would think you'd want a steel FW for drag racing and a aluminum FW for autocross type racing...
Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

The are certainly benefits to both lower and heavier weighted flywheels. This is why the majority of manufactures provide options of Steel and Aluminum, which allows you to select the unit that best fits your needs. To that end we also provide 7 different single disc clutch kit options too...and with our Super-Single Kits shipping you wind up with a kit that has a higher capacity and less effort than our previous offerings. Let me know what type of usage you have planned for the vehicle and I will be happy to assist you with more info. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

more info please! iam also looking for a clutch/flywheel set up. going to be making power in the 500s
Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I was going to post the same question but decided to search first and found this thread.

I am going to be ordering a monster clutch this week and am trying to decide on which flywheel.

My car is a street car that doesn't see the track. The car is setup more for handling but I am doing a H/C/I swap while the car is down.

Isn't the Monster billet flywheel still lighter than the factory piece?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I

Isn't the Monster billet flywheel still lighter than the factory piece?
Hey LilJay...the Monster setup (disc, PP, and billet Flywheel) combined, weighs @ 3Lbs more than the stock setup, so if you wanted a Chromoly Fly (which is 13 Lbs lighter than the Billet Fly), but since the Monster setup is @ 3 Lbs heavier (total), doing some math here, would mean that the Monster setup with Chromoly Fly would be @ 10 Lbs lighter than the stock setup, total.
Hope that helps some!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I have had too much bad luck with spec, I would go with Monster.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gen414
Hey LilJay...the Monster setup (disc, PP, and billet Flywheel) combined, weighs @ 3Lbs more than the stock setup, so if you wanted a Chromoly Fly (which is 13 Lbs lighter than the Billet Fly), but since the Monster setup is @ 3 Lbs heavier (total), doing some math here, would mean that the Monster setup with Chromoly Fly would be @ 10 Lbs lighter than the stock setup, total.
Hope that helps some!
Thank you for the reply. I got your PM's, thank you for the repsonse. I will be getting with you in the next week to order mine.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Im kinda on the fence about spec or monster. I hear a bunch of bad news about spec's and have a friend who went through one quick style even with a solid break in. I prefer the light flywheel, thats just my preference.

How are the differences between the monster/spec stages 2 and 3. I see that the stage 2 is a single disk where stage 3 is puck. How are the manners on a stage 3 with only 400hp?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my LS6 clutch and the aluminum flywheel. Really smooth. I had a spec stage 2 and it was a heavier, so I like the light pedal of the factory GM parts.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jroc99SS
How are the differences between the monster/spec stages 2 and 3. I see that the stage 2 is a single disk where stage 3 is puck. How are the manners on a stage 3 with only 400hp?
Level III Monster will definitely be overkill for 400 HP, but it can and will give ya room to grow (like 300 MORE HP/TQ room ) Now, how are the manners for the III opposed to the II, you ask? Well, you are gonna sacrifice SOME manners (though not too much ) with the III over teh II. The II having teh dual friction, is really not meant for alot of track use, more street oriented I should say. The III can and will handle teh track, but yet, still be able to drive it on the street. The II is gonna have more of "smooth engagement and teh III is gonna be a bit more "grabby" (is that a word ) You know what I mean though! Any more questions, let me know!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The III can and will handle teh track..
I'm holdin' you to that buddy!
I'm excited to break this thing in and start clutch kicking again
Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Level III Monster will definitely be overkill for 400 HP, but it can and will give ya room to grow (like 300 MORE HP/TQ room ) Now, how are the manners for the III opposed to the II, you ask? Well, you are gonna sacrifice SOME manners (though not too much ) with the III over teh II. The II having teh dual friction, is really not meant for alot of track use, more street oriented I should say. The III can and will handle teh track, but yet, still be able to drive it on the street. The II is gonna have more of "smooth engagement and teh III is gonna be a bit more "grabby" (is that a word ) You know what I mean though! Any more questions, let me know!
Well, i plan on giving my car the bottle. the stage 2 is 500, which is probably fine. I just hope it wont be burned out fast by having the car go through a lot of wot shifts. The car see's the road about 4-5 times a month sometimes a bit more..... and is driven hard for those 4-5 times.

So i guess stage 3 is overkill? hard call when its only 50 bucks difference. I just dont want no chatter and a jerky *** clutch.

Also, how long would it take to be shipped to northern california when ordered?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, i plan on giving my car the bottle. the stage 2 is 500, which is probably fine. I just hope it wont be burned out fast by having the car go through a lot of wot shifts. The car see's the road about 4-5 times a month sometimes a bit more..... and is driven hard for those 4-5 times.

So i guess stage 3 is overkill? hard call when its only 50 bucks difference. I just dont want no chatter and a jerky *** clutch.

I asked the same question and Gen414 said if you are plan on spraying it then you should go with the stage 3.

I am sure he will reply later on.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Our Stage 2 uses a Kevlar friction material which provides a very progressive engagement and better capacity than an OE clutch or our stage 1 clutch kit. This unit is generally more drivable than the Stage 3 which uses a Carbon-Graphite pucked friction material and that as a result is less progressive in engagement but more torque capable. It all comes down to picking the option that best suits your needs. You can give me a call if you like to discuss more specifics if you like. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MunsonAuto
I'm holdin' you to that buddy!
I'm excited to break this thing in and start clutch kicking again
Let everyone know how it turns out for ya. Monster makes one heck of a clutch!

Well, if the car sees that little of street duty, AND you plan on spraying it AND taken it to the track AND you beat on it hard when you do drive it, than NO, the Monster Level III will not be overkill. It is a clutch designed for EXACTLY what you want. The Level II is more a "street" clutch (hence the dual friction material) and the III is more of "give me all the abuse (up to 700HP/TQ) you can throw at me" type of clutch. It is NOT gonna be a "jerky" type of clutch however. When you break it in, it may give you a little bit of chatter, but that's it. Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I asked the same question and Gen414 said if you are plan on spraying it then you should go with the stage 3.

I am sure he will reply later on.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Aluminum Flywheel & Clutch Q's