Sponsored by:

? about switching to FI but keeping the victor jr

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ? about switching to FI but keeping the victor jr

What would be easier if i were to switch to FI? Getting an LS6 intake, maf, TB, and Map sensor

or keeping my victor getting it drilled for injectors and adding an elbow and a TB.

I take it a speartech harness and worked out PCM can handle either of those setups right?

I have been toying with the FI idea because my demon carb is a real piece! and the whole thing has to come out because my T56 has a busted 3rd gear. I was thinking of going auto...
Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell the intake, you will get about $280 for it, buy your FI intake for $320, buy the edelbrock fuel rails for $90, and buy an Edelbrock 3978 4150 style throttle body for $380 from Race Mart, and then some injectors and whatever harness. It's what i did. No sense in having victor jr drilled, just buy the right one that will fit the edelbrock fuel rails which are 9/16" NPT on each end.

The only down side to the setup is having to run a speed density setup which can be tricky to get tuned. Would need to be dyno tuned basically but wouldnt lose any driveability.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

i saw your setup on your myspace page. pretty sick man.

what about running an elbow on the carb flange and running a 90mm TB and still retaining the MAF?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U can keep the maf with it and get an elbow. With a 90mm tb. Worm boy had a 2000hp+ camaro with this intake a 90 degree elbow and a 90mm tb.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Just don't get one of the necked down elbows made to fit an F-Body. A larger smooth elbow would be much better and most swap cars have some extra space up there.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
U can keep the maf with it and get an elbow. With a 90mm tb.
X2..I've seen pics of setups with an Elbow and a MAF.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

it would be going in my 69 camaro. my demon carb and air cleaner are pretty tall.

it sounds pretty tempting, considering i was going to drop over $500 on a new holley carb. looks like i might have a project on my hands in the near future.

anyone know just how much flow the victor has over an LS6? FAST 90 is just ridiculous in price, and i dont know much about the street warrior intake.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Victor JR is one of the best flowing intakes out there. The 90 degree elbow is sort of restrictive by causing the air to make a sharp 90 degree. That 2000hp car is forced induction im sure where the elbow wouldnt matter hardly at all but on an NA setup, air coming straight in into an intake of the victor style is the most efficient way. More so than a Fast or LS6 or anyhting of the sort. Speed density is not a bad route at all. This edelbrock TB is 1.25" shorter than my demon carb was so you would be gaining space.

Heres a thread where a guy switched from a 90 degree on the victor JR to a 4150 style tb and gained 50rwhp

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-b-change.html
Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DCx
and i dont know much about the street warrior intake.
Ha..don't count on that one..
Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DCx

what about running an elbow on the carb flange and running a 90mm TB and still retaining the MAF?
You could also try using one of the carb hats used for forced induction blow through applications. Put the hat on the carb style throttle body and place the MAF sensor between the hat and remote filter. I'm sure someone makes a big enough hat that flow shouldn't be restricted.

Ken
Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Its not the flow rating, its the pattern of air flow. Air is a fluid, well moves as such. Take any intake and imagine pouring water through the opening, the one that would flow the absolute fastested and efficiently is the 4150 tb with an air filter. Now imagine that air traveling at 200mph how much its going to hit the back of that elbow, and then go down. imagine the turbulance. Think of the 4150 style. Its going to start a swirl pattern right below the butterflies and the air is going to gain velocity like the port of a head. Its dyno proven. Same exact setup just switching to a 4500 style (just larger butterflies than 4150) gained 50rwhp, a 10% increase in power. That's absolutely insane
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

how would you get a speed density tune?

Shawn MacAnanny, are you running a tuned PCM or FAST? also who are you getting your harness from.

eh, all this tuning talk and EFI is what scared the hell outta me in the first place! having a broken T56 and a demon with some stupid idle issues wasnt the best way to start off my LS swap.

but for what its worth it friggin hauls *** in first and second gear.. lol!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Speed density tunes are best done on a dyno by someone whos done a few but they can be done by yourself with HPtuners or EFI live or something. I am going to be using HPtuners as they offer an additional program that has a TPS multiplier table that helps with the tuning or something haha.

I am running a 2000 Trans am PCM, ill be using HPTuners Pro with my fast dual wideband setup since the pro version can log with a wideband as well. I already have a painless harness. They are about $600 from Jegs. I didnt bother taking any pics of the harness installed but its installed.

Have you had the Demon apart? My 750 came with the metering plates on the wrond sides. Maybe its your tune causing idle issues too? What idle issues are you having? Yeah broken T56s suck thats why i just went with the D&D viper spec trans so i wouldnt have to worry.

I bet it does man haha. I am running straight 3" pipes into an x pipe and out the sides before the rear wheels, no mufflers. It sounds like a 5.7L motorcycle revving to 10,000rpm. I love the sound of the x-pipe.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

the stupid demons idle will jump up all high if i take the throttle return spring off. seems like i have to have huge spring tension on there to keep the throttle blades closed.

its been apart a few times. i even had "the carb shop" take a look at it.

the friggin thing is always out of tune. one day its mega rich, the next its way lean. the idle is erratic and im just sick of it.

i would love to run the victor, elbow, 85mm MAF, and a cone filter. how horrible are intake setups that put the MAF just in front of the TB?

I am undecided on a brand of harness. I am running LS1 camaro fans in my car at the moment. I would like to mount the PCM inside the car. I pretty much have the basic wiring idea down except the whole fans thing. right now i have each fan run through a 40amp relay. one comes on at 200* and the other is on a switch on the dash. pretty basic.

i figured going auto and selling all my ATS T56 parts, LS7 clutch and flywheel, and T56 would cover the auto swap and some small other details.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default I have a SP GMPP and edelbrock elbow for sale!

I have a Single Plane GMPP intake and an edelbrock elbow for sale! they are brand new, never been even bolted, the intake was drilled to use with the stock injectors, and the elbow is the low profile one (not the ultra low for F-bodies).
The prices are $505for the intake, and $130 for the elbow brand new at summit IIRC, but I could take 500 for both.
Add an extra $50 if you would like to keep the NOS Cheater plate in between the intake and elbow.
Once drilled the intake will take the stock injectors and stock fuel rails from an escalade/truck if you flip them to put the connectors conveniently to the front.
Any questions? offers?
email me at lcorbala@hotmail.com
Attached Thumbnails ? about switching to FI but keeping the victor jr-chevelle-lsx-1small.jpg   ? about switching to FI but keeping the victor jr-chevelle-lsx-2small.jpg  
Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just run a blow through hat and maf

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Sell the intake, you will get about $280 for it, buy your FI intake for $320, buy the edelbrock fuel rails for $90, and buy an Edelbrock 3978 4150 style throttle body for $380 from Race Mart, and then some injectors and whatever harness. It's what i did. No sense in having victor jr drilled, just buy the right one that will fit the edelbrock fuel rails which are 9/16" NPT on each end.

The only down side to the setup is having to run a speed density setup which can be tricky to get tuned. Would need to be dyno tuned basically but wouldnt lose any driveability.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

The idea is not to 'bend' the air as it comes into the throttle body. Also i have a street scoop that goes on the top of that throttble body so it wouldnt work.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a LS1 in my 67 Firebird and I used a Vic JR carb intake with the FAST EZ EFI set up and used a MSD controller for my coils. The system works very well and no tuning required. It runs in closed loop and controls back to the WB o2 that comes with the kit. My motor was a GM crate motor so I had no harness or computer and by the time I factored in the cost of buying a computer, harness, TB, injectors and tuning software the Fast set up could be had for not much more money and the system works great.

Last edited by Steve88; 08-12-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:49 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

going back to the victor jr idea. what about a box style intake elbow?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny

I'm not trying to thread jack here, but I just converted my GMPP intake over to EFI, added the Edelbrock elbow and a Wilson 90mm tb and I'm having trouble figuring out where to tap for the map sensor and power brake booster?

Quick Reply: ? about switching to FI but keeping the victor jr