Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Build my own or crate engine?
Build my own engine
64.29%
Buy crate engine
35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

New engine ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New engine ideas

sorry if this is not the right spot, if its not move it

i have a 97 firebird formula that has an LT1 with 120k miles.

I got it used at like 118k miles so i have no idea how it was treated and so i dont know how long it will last.

So do i buy a crate engine or build something? Its going to be daily driven, but work, food, stores, etc. are all 5 mins away tops. So most of the miles will be cruzin on the interstate or hot roddin somewhere.

Ideally i would like to out run everything i come across on the street. bmw, vettes, 2010 camaro, etc. Obviously its on the street so im mostly looking for 0-60 speeds, but if i can find a track i would love to drag race.

im guessing most of u will say build something, but how much is the difference between building and buying a crate engine? would it be worth paying that little extra to not have to do all that work?

smeding has a 383 450hp 460tq $6300 dyno testing and tuning
T&L engines has a 383 440hp 465tq $6700 and get power steering and AC
if i built either on my own how much would it run me?

i dont really have a budget set because i plan on keeping this car(do whatever it takes to have what i want), but i prefer to go cheap by building my own, or easy by buying the best crate deal or the most complete crate that i can literally drop in, change tranny, rear end/gears, etc.

any thoughts or ideas let me know, maybe if u were going to buy a crate engine what company would u use/trust

Last edited by Cruzer23; 06-13-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Anyone? not even a quick vote?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

My opinion? Find an LQ9, a set of CNC ported LS6 heads, and a healthy cam to match. Add an LS6 intake and ported TB and you should be putting out well over what those 383s are advertised at for a LOT less money. Sure, the swap might cost a little more money, but what you gain in engine is more than worth it.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
My opinion? Find an LQ9, a set of CNC ported LS6 heads, and a healthy cam to match. Add an LS6 intake and ported TB and you should be putting out well over what those 383s are advertised at for a LOT less money. Sure, the swap might cost a little more money, but what you gain in engine is more than worth it.
i agree 100%
along with a th350 and a stall, your car will hurt alot of ppls feelings
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking to do an LS1 conversion or stay LT1 ?

If you don't have a good amount of experience building an engines I would not do it. Wasting money trying to do something you don't know how is not a good way to go with an engine and wont put you where you want to be.

You really do need to set a budget first. Then decide LT1 or LS1.
We can help either way if you build your own or buy one. Our rotating assemblies are some of the best priced you will find.

$6700 seems a bit on the hi side for an LT1 383, we can put you into an LS1 long block for that much and you will make more power

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-13-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Launching!

It does not really matter to me if its lt1 ls1, though ls1 is better in every aspect right?

Why do i have to have a budget? I would like to keep it as cheap as i can get it. No more than 7k, but if i can get what i want for only 5k then obviously thats what i want. And just because my budget is 7k doesnt mean i want a 600hp LS1 that costs me 7k.

i realize if i never done this before its not smart to try it, but i have to learn at some point.

where can i find a lq9 if its not in the sales part of this forum? i goggled a bit, found 1 ebay auction, but that was it. i would look more but i have to go to work

just a quick price quote it looks like about $5500 for lq9@$3500,ls6 heads, ls6 intake, comp cam, and ported TB. that sound right? just an estimate of power i would get from this?

thanks for the help so far please keep it comming!

Last edited by Cruzer23; 06-13-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned

local junkyard for a crashed truck.

Yes you can take the time and learn just be prepared for the learning curve and to trash a few engines before you get it right. If it were that simple there wouldn't be sponsors selling short and long blocks Most people want it done right even if they're only spending $1775 on a rotating assembly there will be machining costs so really your not getting out for under 3k after odds and ends. If that 3k engine last you 500-1000 miles then what? It happens time and time again. I'm not trying to scare you either, people go to school to learn and still get it wrong and you want to just pick it up and do it in your garage.

Yes you need to make a few decisions before you start.

Yes budget for the engine. How much do you want to spend and what is the intended use. Going into it without a game plan to follow is the quickest way to **** away money.

You need a direction to follow and if anyone is gong to help you they need to know what direction your going in and what budget to work with... Scat crank or Sonny Bryant, Carrillo rods or Eagle. There is a big money difference and both will get you to the same place depending on the application.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Well in my first post i gave the intended use, and my 2nd post was my budget. Instead of telling me what u can do for me, you want to tell me what i cant do.

A little more organized so maybe you understand

-Daily driven (5 minutes to work, food, stores, so not tons of miles going to be racking up, just when i decide to go have fun)
-7$k budget
-Want to be able to put in a 97 firebird formula and out run everything i come across on the streets (bmw,2010 camaro, hopefully corvettes too

I wouldnt expect to do it all by myself in my garage, but i have a friend who has built motors, obviously knows wtf he is doing, and my dad who has been working on cars for 25 years. I would guess that plus research would get me through it, but i dont know your the expert you tell me.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

415ci schwanke short block with long block upgrade #2
http://schwankeshortblocks.com/Short...rt%20Block.htm

so 3300 +

LS3 Long Block Upgrade Includes: Custom Cam(.570 Lift), LS7/Cadillac Lifters, LS2 Timing Chain Kit, LS2 Front Cover, High Volume Oil Pump, New LS3 Heads, MLS Head Gaskets, Fully Assembled

Add: $2,999.99

add a ls3 intake and your golden
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nastychevelle
415ci schwanke short block with long block upgrade #2
http://schwankeshortblocks.com/Short...rt%20Block.htm

so 3300 +

LS3 Long Block Upgrade Includes: Custom Cam(.570 Lift), LS7/Cadillac Lifters, LS2 Timing Chain Kit, LS2 Front Cover, High Volume Oil Pump, New LS3 Heads, MLS Head Gaskets, Fully Assembled

Add: $2,999.99

add a ls3 intake and your golden
wow. looks like a good deal! how are schwanke's engines?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
wow. looks like a good deal! how are schwanke's engines?
ive heard good things.......
Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching!

I also had someone on a different forum suggest that website. He said he had worked there one summer and was impressed.

Thank you nastychevelle, any ball park estimates on the #s i would get from it?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

i'd say depending on the cam specs exactly 475-500hp is very possible
Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Which is better, what u suggested or just their stage III engine?
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/E...%20Package.htm

it gives 485HP 450 Ft. Lbs Torque
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cruzer23
Which is better, what u suggested or just their stage III engine?
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/E...%20Package.htm

it gives 485HP 450 Ft. Lbs Torque
thats on an engine dyno... i was talkin RWHP i think what i posted you'll have more fun with!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Sounds nasty! im sure i will have tons of fun with it.
Definitely the best crate engine i have seen for that price.

One last question though, im going to have to add a lot still to make that run though?
manifold
carburetor
Distributor
Alternator
Power Steering Pump
Fuel Pump
Wiring Harness & PCM ???

really wouldnt want to use stuff off my stock LT1 because its all worn out

how would "LQ9, a set of CNC ported LS6 heads, and a healthy cam to match. Add an LS6 intake and ported TB" compare to the longblock from schwanke engines? that way i have an already running engine just modding it to be fast, instead of having a really fast engine and need to add everything to it.

Last edited by Cruzer23; 06-15-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds nasty! im sure i will have tons of fun with it.
Definitely the best crate engine i have seen for that price.

One last question though, im going to have to add a lot still to make that run though?
manifold
carburetor
Distributor
Alternator
Power Steering Pump
Fuel Pump
Wiring Harness & PCM ???

really wouldnt want to use stuff off my stock LT1 because its all worn out

how would "LQ9, a set of CNC ported LS6 heads, and a healthy cam to match. Add an LS6 intake and ported TB" compare to the longblock from schwanke engines? that way i have an already running engine just modding it to be fast, instead of having a really fast engine and need to add everything to it.
would it compare? no, but it would still make decent power probably in the 450ish range depnding on cam size and heads. but instead of those heads i'd find a set of stock l92 heads and a l76 intake they flow a little over 300cfm stock i believe (or you could pick up a set of PRC CNC'd L92 heads with PRC dual springs for less than a set of PRC CNC'd LS6 heads)
Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

Well in my first post i gave the intended use, and my 2nd post was my budget. Instead of telling me what u can do for me, you want to tell me what i cant do.

A little more organized so maybe you understand

-Daily driven (5 minutes to work, food, stores, so not tons of miles going to be racking up, just when i decide to go have fun)
-7$k budget
-Want to be able to put in a 97 firebird formula and out run everything i come across on the streets (bmw,2010 camaro, hopefully corvettes too

I wouldnt expect to do it all by myself in my garage, but i have a friend who has built motors, obviously knows wtf he is doing, and my dad who has been working on cars for 25 years. I would guess that plus research would get me through it, but i dont know your the expert you tell me.
Well first of all I'm not an expert.. I offer advice based on what we know works..LOL Erik(HKE) has been around a while and has developed an excellent reputation.

If you go LS you will need to a few things more obviously than if you stay LT. If you find a crashed truck and grab the 6.0 out of it I would go with a 408. Have the block machined and have your dad and friend do the assembly.
Its not rocket science and if they've built a few engines then they know the procedures and should be able to figure it out with some patience ans like you said research and asking questions.

Rotating assembly is about $2250 delivered balanced with bearings. SO that will give you and idea of costs involved doing it yourself.

Our typical 408 goes for $4474 and we use Callies and Wiseco and ARP but do build them for less using Scat and Eagle.

A 408 with a set of decent heads on top ( not just flow numbers read the sticky) can be very formidable. We've seen as much as 600+ hp from a 408 so it's nothing to take lightly. With a few parts (harness and sensors) from a crashed or used fbody you should be in for under 7k for the LS 408. There is plenty of help for the conversion too.

Or you can stay LT and build a nasty 383

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-15-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spell check corrections
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Your typical 408 gives what kind of power? What all will i have to add to have it running, with power steering, ac, etc. just the harness and sensors?

The price is good, so long as power is decent and i dont have to spend another 3k adding extras on it to get it running.

How easily will the 408 fit in my 97 firebird?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your typical 408 gives what kind of power? What all will i have to add to have it running, with power steering, ac, etc. just the harness and sensors?

The price is good, so long as power is decent and i dont have to spend another 3k adding extras on it to get it running.

How easily will the 408 fit in my 97 firebird?
I guess I'll ask, how much do you HAVE to spend on everything? You can build a 416ci pretty cheap and make around 530 RWHP.

And I vote for, "have a professional build it."