Sponsored by:

anyone tryed to fit straight 6 cylinder in F-body

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default anyone tryed to fit straight 6 cylinder in F-body

please have a open mind.

if I don't do this to a 98-02 F-body it will be done to a older S-10.

anyone installed a Toyota Supra 2jz-gte motor in a 98-02 F-body?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/E...2JZ_195979.htm
Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you considering this for the gas mileage benefits? Or..? Little know fact: In 1982, Chevrolet offered the Camaro with their, then available, 181 cu. in. 4 cylinder engine, nicknamed the "Iron Duke"...and was rated at 50 miles per gallon.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about doing it to a light 4th gen.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

CALL ME UN-OPEN MINDED BUT THAT IS
Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

I think you will have a tough time fitting it in either fbody or s10 without modifying the firewall and/or the radiator support. If you're set on this idea maybe try a canyon/colorado, i tossed around the idea with either of those due to it fitting a larger I5 with some room to spare
Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

first of all it sounds retarded when you see a 67 camaro you expect it to sound like a beast *** muscle car not a rice rocket and secondly dont be fooled by those made up numbers it doesnt gain 368 hp just by adding race gas! lmao and i love how it says bhp (brake horsepower) but its on a chassis dyno lol
Old 06-14-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok.. educate me..
What is the weight difference ? can you show me some dyno graphs comparing the two engines..
What is the weight difference of a 4th Gen F-body (with a LS1/V8 or a V6) and the Toyota Supra with the 2jz?

If doing something like this, Mileage is not something I would be in consideration in doing a swap like this to me. So give me some facts as to the benifits, advantages and performance gaines. Also what is the cost of doing something like this?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't really see the point in it. The 2jz is a very potent engine, and I don't think anyone is going to argue that. I just think for the money thrown at the swap you could throw it all at an FI lsx, or big cube NA lsx.

I have been thinking about a 2jz swap into a 240z for a while, but don't really have the money or know how. But I just don't think a 2jz fits a Camaro.

In the end its all about what you want. I just don't see the point.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

They put one in a 67 Camaro. Why not in a 4th gen? Might be tight...might have to modify some stuff. However if you have the chops to pull off the swap you already know that.

Also...I hardly consider a motor like that rice. Anyone that does is just silly. Those are great motors and make gobs of fun power. Would I do it? No... But I certainly wont take anything away from someone who would.

As for muscle car sound...I agree. However out of all the import motors, a properly built 2JZ with a DECENT exhaust (read: not a can from autozone) sounds f'in awesome. Especially if you are putting a couple turbos on it.

J.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The early camaros came with a straight 6 as the base engine. Those things were a dream to work on. Everything was accessible and the engine lasted forever.

Hard to imagine one in a 4th gen. Especialy with all the FI wiring and turbo plumbing. The car would be a nightmare to work on.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

i wouldn't do either one but it's all about personal choice and opinion when it comes to what you wanna do with your car
Old 06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 240

Originally Posted by Juicy J
I don't really see the point in it. The 2jz is a very potent engine, and I don't think anyone is going to argue that. I just think for the money thrown at the swap you could throw it all at an FI lsx, or big cube NA lsx.

I have been thinking about a 2jz swap into a 240z for a while, but don't really have the money or know how. But I just don't think a 2jz fits a Camaro.

In the end its all about what you want. I just don't see the point.
a 240z would be a easy swap, however the easiest swap is the Lexus 300sc I think the year model is 93 this car had the NA Supra motor but it's heavy more than the 4th gen F-body.

I like the idea of something differnt when folks hear it rev to 9 grand w/ the un-V8 sound that sounds like pure power.

I expect to be flamed on this topic and most here probably think it should be disscussed on a rice forum.however you LS1 folks are real smart and have advice.

from what I know the Japs are forced to change there motors at 40-60K miles for emmision reasons can't beat the price for a 2jz that's not even broken in usally less than $2K for motor, trans & ECU.

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-15-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badmfkr
from what I know the Japs are forced to change there motors at 40-60K miles for emmision reasons can't beat the price for a 2jz that's not even broken in usally less than $2K for motor, trans & ECU.
I would be careful about buying a used motor from the "Japs", from what I have heard, many owners cheap out on oil change intervals and do not change them nearly as religiously as we do in the states due to the prices over there, so it is possible the motors with only 40-60k could have much more wear than it should have.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Is the Supra 2jz engine cool? Hell yes.

Could it be put in a 4th gen? Well yes with enough money, time, and skills anything motor swap is possible.

Your just answering a question no one really wants to the know the answer too. It is a good waste of a 4th gen and a 2jz engine. Leave the 2jz where it belongs in a Supra or how about doing something different with a 4th gen.......use a 98-02 F-body with a 3.8 SFI Buick v6 and put twin turbos on it. The Buick has just as much potential as the I6 toyota and guess what GM did alot of the work for you.......it is called the Grand National.

If your heart set on a 2jz then put it in something cool that it fits in better. How about an early Supra or a Jaguar XJ6.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the older Jaguar XJ6's have a curb weight north of 4,000 lbs. Even the later ones still weighed a lot more than the F-Bodies ever did. If you put a small displacement engine in a car that heavy you would be working the engine pretty hard, pretty often. I'm not saying it wouldn't move, but you'd have two feet in the gas every time you pulled onto the hiway - not because you wanted to, but because you had to! The Jag's stock 2.88 gears don't help, either.

That's why guys (like me) take out the 4.2L Jag straight six and replace it with a 5.7L+ Chevy V8. Aside from better reliability, the performance aspect is considerably better because 1) more cubes/low end torque and 2) you have a chance to move up to a 4-speed trans with OD. There are a couple kits out there to put install a regular SBC/LT1 or a BBC and at least one guy who makes a kit to put an LS1 in.

Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship
Is the Supra 2jz engine cool? Hell yes.

Could it be put in a 4th gen? Well yes with enough money, time, and skills anything motor swap is possible.

If your heart set on a 2jz then put it in something cool that it fits in better. How about an early Supra or a Jaguar XJ6.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
please have a open mind.

if I don't do this to a 98-02 F-body it will be done to a older S-10.

anyone installed a Toyota Supra 2jz-gte motor in a 98-02 F-body?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/E...2JZ_195979.htm
Not to flame, but I don't see any benefits to this. You will be adding weight over swapping the LS1 out (a good 200lbs), and the cost would be much much higher than it would to just build the LS1 (which would yield better times anyway with no lag).
Old 06-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Launching!

The oil change interval is a truth note, its not a change out the motor deal IIRC, after 50,000km's on a car, the japanese government offers a tax credit to replace the car.

In canada (Where you can legally import a RHD car that is 15years old, USA is 25 years old), theres a ton of JDM RHD car's with 50-60,000km's on them. Seeing a RHD car, the 2JZ's, RB26DETT's etc just isnt really anything special anymore.

It would be a neat swap, **** off as many f-body guys with this, as guys do putting an LS1 into a MKIV supra, or a skyline.

To simplify things, with the cowling hanging over the engine bay, id say a single turbo might make things a little more accessible, after working on a few JDM cars, its nuts how tightly compacted the motors are, 0 wasted space, makes them a bitch to work on.

Do your research and git'r done. Biggest issue is see is going to to be the front sump oiling, and the motor is longer then the LS1, so you might have a rad jammed forward with some pusher fans to get yourself all the extra space you can find.

Quick Reply: anyone tryed to fit straight 6 cylinder in F-body