Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3 bar map sensor instalation help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3 bar map sensor instalation help

Ok I know I'm asking a lot of questions lately but I need help and search and google just aint cutting it. I keep finding all kinds of stuff about 2 bar map sensors but nothing about 3 bar.

The problem is I have a fast 3bar map sensor and for the life of me can't figure out how to connect it. Is there some kind of pig tail to connect the stock wireing harness to the map sensor? I have tryed calling fast 3 days in a row and sit on hold for like 2 hours at a time.

Also I have read that the best way to connect the map sensor is by tapping the manifold and putting in a barbed fitting with a piece of vacum line running to the map sensor. That would of worked great if the engine was still out of the car but it isn't and reaching the back of the manifold will be a PITA! Also I would have all those shavings from tapping my intake in my engine I know they're only plastic but... Still don't sound like a good thought.

My idea is put it in its stock location but to... (hate to sound so redneck on this) gorilla glue it in place lol I know the stock one works because it sees no pressure since its under vaccum all the time but what about this idea with close to 20psi. Will it just blow it right out? Anyone have and suggestions and or places to get the connector also

Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM
8 Second Club

You can get the harness from Frost on here or Speed Inc. I would not glue the sensor in, Take an hour and pull the intake and do it right. Just be very careful of the oil pressure sending unit back there, I have seen quite a few people break that off, dont rip and tear to get the intake out.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to get to the stock vacuum line and t in there possibly do that without having to pull off the intake. And yeah you need adapter harnes.I got mine longer so can move my 3 bar its by my computer now easy to get to. No real reason to have it on the back of the intake. The fast like I have suck for holding the map in under boost. So I tapped my fast out and ran big line to vacuum manifold and then run lines to various things.Fast is easy to drill and tap.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02anti_vnm
Ok I know I'm asking a lot of questions lately but I need help and search and google just aint cutting it. I keep finding all kinds of stuff about 2 bar map sensors but nothing about 3 bar.

The problem is I have a fast 3bar map sensor and for the life of me can't figure out how to connect it. Is there some kind of pig tail to connect the stock wireing harness to the map sensor? I have tryed calling fast 3 days in a row and sit on hold for like 2 hours at a time.

Also I have read that the best way to connect the map sensor is by tapping the manifold and putting in a barbed fitting with a piece of vacum line running to the map sensor. That would of worked great if the engine was still out of the car but it isn't and reaching the back of the manifold will be a PITA! Also I would have all those shavings from tapping my intake in my engine I know they're only plastic but... Still don't sound like a good thought.

My idea is put it in its stock location but to... (hate to sound so redneck on this) gorilla glue it in place lol I know the stock one works because it sees no pressure since its under vaccum all the time but what about this idea with close to 20psi. Will it just blow it right out? Anyone have and suggestions and or places to get the connector also

Thanks!!
I'm running a FAST 3 bar sensor and the harness that speed inc sells. Its plug and play providing you upgraded your vcm for a 3 bar ve table. The only bad thing that I have to say is that the adapter harness I got was pinned wrong, for 2 weeks my car would crank up run for 1-2 seconds and die. I finally tried switching the 2 outside wires around and it cranked up and ran with no problem. My situation was probably just a one time freak mistake at the manufacturer though.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

I made a vaccum manifold and put it inline with the brake booster line, thats where my sensor gets its signal BTW
Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
I'm running a FAST 3 bar sensor and the harness that speed inc sells. Its plug and play providing you upgraded your vcm for a 3 bar ve table. The only bad thing that I have to say is that the adapter harness I got was pinned wrong, for 2 weeks my car would crank up run for 1-2 seconds and die. I finally tried switching the 2 outside wires around and it cranked up and ran with no problem. My situation was probably just a one time freak mistake at the manufacturer though.
So if yall T'd into the stock brake booster line then whatd you do about the stock map sensor hole?

Also what is a 3 bar ve table is that something else I'm going to have to buy or will that be tuned in when I get it sd tuned?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Gorilla glue............cumon...........you know better than that!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bonestock99
Gorilla glue............cumon...........you know better than that!
Haha come on! You don't think thatll work that's some strong ****! Lol I just wanted to figure out a clean sollution and wanted to leave the map in the stock location
Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

So if yall T'd into the stock brake booster line then whatd you do about the stock map sensor hole?

Also what is a 3 bar ve table is that something else I'm going to have to buy or will that be tuned in when I get it sd tuned?
I just left mine in there to plug the hole, it did leak slightly when I pressure tested my system with compressed air. I used a little rtv on the stock grommett, retested it, and its air tight now.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i follwed these guys advice ^ and pulled the intake and tapped it and use a fitting attached to some vaccum line and the map sensor off that and just used my brake booster for i dont know what yet aint quite there yet probably just my waste gate boost gauge and my fpr

but what is a ve table?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

i follwed these guys advice ^ and pulled the intake and tapped it and use a fitting attached to some vaccum line and the map sensor off that and just used my brake booster for i dont know what yet aint quite there yet probably just my waste gate boost gauge and my fpr

but what is a ve table?
A VE table is basicly your MAP table, its a table that plots map vs rpm, its calculated airflow. If you only have a one bar VE table and try to run a 2 or 3 bar sensor it wont work right, you have to upgrade your VE table for the car to be able to see above 1 bar (boost). The stock VE table only goes to 100 kpa (atmosphereic pressure or loss of vaccum) boost starts after 100 kpa and goes up from there.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody got any pics of the 3bar installed im so confused
Old 11-09-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
urs wasnt the only one mine is fucked up bad as well.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a 2bar but its in there tight!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

got my sensor and adapter here for the connector

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/831

Quick Reply: 3 bar map sensor instalation help