Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody done this yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anybody done this yet?

i have been doing soem research...and planning my dream car..sponsors have been more than generous with links and info.. here's my thought..

5.3L h/c/i MN12 9" in a 70-73 camaro...
Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just thought that since the 5.3L are getting cheap that itd be a pretty low buck swap that could make gobs of power..dont know if the MN12 tranny will bolt up but again itd be nice for the gear ratio and its sposed to take more hp/tq abuse...
Old 06-19-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think anybody has done a 70-73 Camaro heads and Cam LS motor with intake yet.....go for it
Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The reason you might not have gotten many responses is because what you're asking is pretty basic... To be honest the heads/cam stuff doesnt matter much, that's all sub-level stuff. This conversions forum is more for fitting the physical size of the LS1 into stuff it never came in. To the best of my memory there are several 70-73 Camaro's with LS's in them.

Now you said a 5.3L, do you want to know whether the truck intake/accessory/oilpan will fit? By doing an intake swap are you referring to an f-body swap or aftermarket? This would dictate what accessory drive you use. Look up in this forum what accessory drives 70-73 people have used on their LS, it'll work the same on your 5.3L

The MN12 will bolt up to any LS motor because that's what it was intended for, you'll just have to decide what bellhousing/starter to use.

Regarding the internal heads/cam swaps, there should be plenty of info on that in the Gen III Internal/External Engine sections of this forum, just need to do a search and read lots.

Generally the people with good, detailed builds have a tendancy to know the other people on here with the same swap/good knowledge, so start with looking at/contacting these:

If you ignore the blower, this swap would be near identical externally... https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...aro-build.html

Possibly helpful too... https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-1971-z28.html

Can't find a build thread but PM him with q's... https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=58075