Need some advice for over-the-axle true duals..

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice for over-the-axle true duals..

I found out that a quality exhaust shop buys parts from my dealership so I get a pretty sweet discount on exhaust work. Which, to me, means it's time for some true duals! Now there are a few things I'd like to know. First off, I don't know whether I should go with 2.5" or 3". I currently have a 3" catback, so what are my gains or losses if I went 2.5"? I love the sound of my car right now but my y-pipe hits everything I drive over and this shop gaurantees great ground clearance(with 2.5"). I'm leaning towards the Borla XR-1's for my mufflers and the shop will be doing the custom x-pipe. They're also going to be using my Magnaflow hi-flow cats that are on my Y right now. Sooo, do ya'll think I should get the duals and if so, is it worth the possible rattles that go along with 3" over the axle? I'd appreciate any input on the true dual set-up that ya'll can offer me. The dual exhaust will, under no circumstance, be dumped before the axle though.. Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

no one?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

If its done right you won't have any rattle problems. The duals on my car are dumped but the guy I bought them from had two pipes that could be bolted to the duals and they went over the axles..one on each side. I would recommend that you have them do something like this as well just in case you need to get them off down the road. The mufflers I have on my car are the Moroso Spiral flows and they sound amazing, I've been told that the XR-1's sound great as well but when you look at the price difference....I'll just stick to my moroso's.

As far as size goes, I run 3in pipe all the way and my car is lowered on sportlines. My car has no idea what the phrase "ground clearance" means. However these duals were not made to fit my car, so they do not tuck up that well. I do plan on doing another dual setup and i'll still use 3in but i'll take the time to tuck it up nice and neat so that it doesn't drag on speed bumps and steep inclines as much.

so bottom line, there aren't any rattles if its done right. 3in will be fine if they take the time to tuck everything up nice. And for mufflers its just how deep your pocket book is.

-Garrett
Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the advice, i appreciate it. i'd like to here the spiral flows. the manager told me the cheapest ones he could get for me were flowmaster(hell no), dynomax, and spiral flow. i was leaning more towards magnaflow or borla. he also mentioned that i would possibly lose torque with 3" over 2.5" bc of the backpressure being wrong..? from what he told me, it sounds like 2.5">3" unless i plan on making 500rwhp(which i am not)
Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

no prob man

I don't think I lost any back pressure with the 3in. Honestly if you're going to run them out the back it won't make a bit of difference. The 3in will have a deeper tone to it is all I can tell you. My car makes 343/343 bolt ons only and it pulls like a **** from down low and when it hits the higher RPM's it really screams. I don't think I would gain much at all if any going to a 2.5in system.

the dynomax mufflers aren't bad, I used to have one on my old y-pipe setup...not too loud when ur cruising and when you go WOT they really shine. Just stay away from the blowmasters....lol
Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

go over the rear into a cme set up
Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Postman
no prob man

I don't think I lost any back pressure with the 3in. Honestly if you're going to run them out the back it won't make a bit of difference. The 3in will have a deeper tone to it is all I can tell you. My car makes 343/343 bolt ons only and it pulls like a **** from down low and when it hits the higher RPM's it really screams. I don't think I would gain much at all if any going to a 2.5in system.

the dynomax mufflers aren't bad, I used to have one on my old y-pipe setup...not too loud when ur cruising and when you go WOT they really shine. Just stay away from the blowmasters....lol
Nice numbers Gurt

To the OP, I went from a LM1 setup to 3" true duals and it really shines up top just like Gurt was saying. I would stick with the 3" because well frankly, you may not be at 500whp now, but who knows for down the road. Plus the sound is amazing. I have "Sweet Thunder" mufflers however.

I can attest that Borlas sound amazing at WOT, however down low they bug the **** out of me. Working at TWS I hear my fair share of all exhausts and Borlas on a LS motor are by far one of my favorite.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes i think i lost power down low with my TSP 3" system, but i think its due to the fact that i gained alot up top, so now my car feels sluggish down low cause i didnt gain as much there. Make since? I had a magnaflow before this, and i can tell you that after 3500 rpms, my car comes alive now. It's almost like a 2stroke motocross bike lol.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i haven't decided on 2.5 or 3 but i think i have decided on borlas. although, i would really love to hear the spiral flows. i guess my main concern is that i don't want to sounds like a truck. ive only heard 2 or 3 true dual set-ups on an f-body and all of them sounded farrr too deep...pretty much just like a truck thats dumped. all three of those systems were before the axles though. mine will be over the axle and running through my cme.

will it make a difference if i put the mufflers after the axle rather than before? i was thinking of doing this because i may want to swap out mufflers later on down the road and i think it would be a lot easier and cheaper if the shop had more room to work with.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

I just made a recording of my car...it'll be up in a bit.

here you go...Pacesetter LT's, lanes 3in duals and spiral flows dumped at the axle.

Last edited by The Postman; 06-23-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

A PHB relocation kit, like UMI's or BMR's, will make it much easier to get dual 3s over the axle. More exhaust is ALWAYS better with these motors. I prefer a more mellow, sophisticated sound, so cats and Magnaflows with an X pipe are in my future. The only downsides to duals are weight and expense. You'll make more power and torque, have better sound, and can have as much or as little volume as you want based on cats/muffs choice.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Postman do you have cats at all? car sounds great, i was going to do true duals dumped with medium powersticks no cats, will this be too loud lol? but your spiral flows sound pretty good and deep.

Last edited by 94TRANS; 06-23-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the props man......of course it has cats....
Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i can't tell much from my shitty speakers at work, but it sounds good. definitely not hollow or truck-ish. doesnt sound like you have cats tho haha
Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

who said I did....
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Postman
who said I did....
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

anybody else wanna *****-out their duals?? it's really helping me out
Old 06-23-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

now i cant decide between powersticks or spiral flows?? thanks postman.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely going to need a PHB relocation kit! I have the kit for 2.5" pipe over the rear axle.

Duals over the axle = enjoyable conversation for the driver and passenger/whoever is behind me put fingers in your ears!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

well all decisions have been made! i went to the shop last night and was able to hear 2.5 and 3. AND was able to hear spiral flow, dynomax, and magnaflow. i actuallly liked the sound of the 2.5" and the dual magnaflow mufflers sounded badass. SO, i'll be coming out of my headers and into magnaflow hi-flow cats, then going into an x-pipe. after the x, we'll be going down on the passenger side of the driveshaft and over the axle together. the pipes will split off to the driver side and to the passenger side, where each will go through a magnaflow muffler. they'll come out and bend into my cme tips. i can't wait for this! my poly motor mounts go in tomorrow and then the duals will be next week!