Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who runs with no intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who runs with no intercooler?

So there's no room for an intercooler in the budget right now... I'm just running the charge pipes straight to the intake~

Obviously, i'll need a very conservative tune, But who else run's with no intercooler?

Anyone know the intake temp differances with or without an intercooler on these LS engines?

I have my turbo mounted next to my transmission under the truck, so it's taking in cold air, and getting it to the intake away from the exhaust~ Shouldn't be much more than a 50* intake increase than ambiant air.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, $100 bucks, flea-bay. Its worth much more than that, just think how pissed youd be having to replace you $$$ engine because you didnt spend pennies on an intercooler, respectively. Just wait and buy one, or put it all together and dont get into boost at all until you have a chance to put one on the car.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

ok so i re-read the thread again, yes it will have lower temps technically but at least put a small one in there if you cant afford a larger one. You really cant beat the 31x12x3 units for a hundred bucks though.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

If you can get a ebay intercooler than do that, but if not, I wouldn't worry about it to much. Remember, Supercharger companys, other than Procharger never had a intercooler( A/W option) and they seemed to work fine.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
If you can get a ebay intercooler than do that, but if not, I wouldn't worry about it to much. Remember, Supercharger companys, other than Procharger never had a intercooler( A/W option) and they seemed to work fine.
Don't tell him that!

IAT (intake air temp) is very high after the turbo... you've got to cool that air down somehow...

Buy a cooler. Unless you're running E85 or straight Alcohol.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATLSS
Don't tell him that!

IAT (intake air temp) is very high after the turbo... you've got to cool that air down somehow...

Buy a cooler. Unless you're running E85 or straight Alcohol.
LOL, back in the day we used to give my mustang hell with the supercharger and no intercooler. At that time, I didn't even know what a intercooler was?? LOL! But yes, if you can swing the cash, atleast buy a ebay intercooler.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my first turbo setup on my subaru had no intercooler but i had a methanol spray setup to keep EGT's in check. this was when 5-7 psi was good enough didnt last long before it wasnt enough so i put a top mount on it.
low boost and keeping an eye on temps / detonation will be your best bet but id strongly recommend doing it the right way the first time out with some type of intercooling setup if you can.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
LOL, back in the day we used to give my mustang hell with the supercharger and no intercooler. At that time, I didn't even know what a intercooler was?? LOL! But yes, if you can swing the cash, atleast buy a ebay intercooler.
turbo setups tend to run much hotter due to the whole exhaust gas running through it instead of belt driven blowers. my old LT1 with its paxton blower was never as hot under hood as my subaru with no intercooler running similiar boost figures
Old 06-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

where is the best place to get a intercooler kit that will handle 1200 horse dealer cost fom procharger is around 1300bucks ouch
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alc/meth injection can substitue for an intercooler. Intercoolers are not essential at low boost and if you are not into the boost all the time. Stay conservative on tuning especially timing and you will be ok. But I would still add a decent intercooler at some point when you can afford to. Both alc/meth and intercooler are still best and you can run nitrous for even more cooling. Cooling the intake charge is a good thing!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, but i haven't seen any real #'s from you.

I know with the honda guys, the intake temps with a cooler are ussually about 15-20* above ambiant air temps.

Without a cooler it's ussually about 40* above ambiant air temps...

My problem is the truck is lowered... Can run any pipes under the oil pan, or under the frame... Very limited work space.

I WOULD LOVE to buy one of those cheap 100$ FleaGay intercoolers, the 31x12x3 ones...
But my truck is much narrower than the F body's, alot less room between my cooling fans and my front grill than you guys!

To get an intercooler to fit, i'd need a core with Rear exits, and it can't be any wider than 26" outside of the core. And it would have to be 4" thick, and 11 inches tall.

^There is my setback... With that, requires a custom intercooler, and about 700$!!!!!!!
So that's holding me back right now.

8psi for now.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

They can be made for exactly what you are looking for. I have a ton of 2 1/2 pipe that you could buy off of me if you would like. Buy a core and someone weld on some tanks and save yourself the money
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

i ran without a IC on my buick GN (6.0L, 4l80, 76mm) for 2 years with no problems at all. On my regular fill of 89 octane it was 9-10psi and 12* timing, car would pull a good 620hp at the crank. with premium (91 or 92) i would run 11-12psi and it would make around 650hp at the crank. I put some 105 in it once and was running 14psi, 14* timing. I put C16 in it twice and was running 16psi, 18* timing and it was 85* outside, that was good for ~720hp and 133mph traps in a 4000lb car. You wont have any problems at all if you just keep an eye on it, i would boost that thing around every corner and put a good 10k miles on it that way
Gary
Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want real cheap look at the starion one. It should work on a fbody....alot of the import guys run them
Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
They can be made for exactly what you are looking for. I have a ton of 2 1/2 pipe that you could buy off of me if you would like. Buy a core and someone weld on some tanks and save yourself the money

I know they can be made! haha, it's just out of my budget. I wish they made one that i needed for $100 bones. I have lots of pipe also... i can plumb it any way i want, it's just the part of getting the IC to fit.

This has been the best place i've found for custom intercoolers:
http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/AAAssm.html
Old 06-24-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grr
i ran without a IC on my buick GN (6.0L, 4l80, 76mm) for 2 years with no problems at all. On my regular fill of 89 octane it was 9-10psi and 12* timing, car would pull a good 620hp at the crank. with premium (91 or 92) i would run 11-12psi and it would make around 650hp at the crank. I put some 105 in it once and was running 14psi, 14* timing. I put C16 in it twice and was running 16psi, 18* timing and it was 85* outside, that was good for ~720hp and 133mph traps in a 4000lb car. You wont have any problems at all if you just keep an eye on it, i would boost that thing around every corner and put a good 10k miles on it that way
Gary
Glad to see somebody with some real world experience of running without an IC weigh in. I am also running no IC or Meth (yet) and mine runs just fine on 92-93 octane at 12 psi. No knock (except for these rediculous 95 degree, 95% humidity days). Most I see on a cool day is 145*F IAT, and today I saw 180* IAT while playing at lunch.

Is an intercooler necessary? No
Is it a nice addition to get all you can from your setup. Hell yes.
Will you instantly detonate your engine to the stratosphere by boosting without one? No way!!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Restricted User

Is the S10 the project your looking to add a intercooler ? how much room do you have ?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check out some old SAAB intercoolers off ebay, small and cheap (20-50 bucks).
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your local craigslist someone might have a intercooler you can pick up for a good price i went from the twin intercoolers to the single fmic with my set up
Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speeddemon651
Is the S10 the project your looking to add a intercooler ? how much room do you have ?
Yep, that's the one i'm in need of one for.
Well, i have pusher fans infront of my radiator, so behind the grill is not an option.

The only other place i have room for one is in the lower portion of the front bumper. Basically from the Airbag sensors, and below.

Originally Posted by subarubill96
check out some old SAAB intercoolers off ebay, small and cheap (20-50 bucks).
I've looked at them... But for the amount of boost drop i'm going to get out of those TINY little things, I wont' get the airflow i need. I think i calculated out that my engine should be flowing 750cfm. I think... There's no way those little Saab intercoolers will flow that much. However, they work GREAT on a honda! (past experience)

Originally Posted by baylove
check your local craigslist someone might have a intercooler you can pick up for a good price i went from the twin intercoolers to the single fmic with my set up
I wish i had room for a generic styled... but the locations that i need my inlet and outlet is the hardest part to match up. with my radiator, pusher fans, and engine bay crammed under the hood of my little 2000 S-10, i have no room for a "behind the grill" intercooler.

So i'm only going to be boosting 8psi, and if 140* is about the highest temps i'll see, i'm going to run to IC for now. I've already got pictures, but i'll add those to the S10 // T56 // T70 // LS1 thread in the Conversions/Hybrids section.

Quick Reply: Who runs with no intercooler?