Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler W/Fan Wiring Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission cooler W/Fan Wiring Questions?

I'm installing a perma-cool tranny cooler with fan tomorrow in series with my BM and have a few questions. I would like the fan to be running all the time during the summer. What would be the best way to wire the fan so that it only comes on when the car is started? I hear i should run a relay, How exactly do relays work and what circuit should i wire one off of. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did this and used my air pump relay to run it all the time. Now if this is your everyday driver and you only wanna run it in the summer i would suggest just going with a switch to a relay and then to the fan. A relay works just like a switch pretty much but the relay is what will take the blunt of the amperage instead of the switch.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
I just did this and used my air pump relay to run it all the time. Now if this is your everyday driver and you only wanna run it in the summer i would suggest just going with a switch to a relay and then to the fan. A relay works just like a switch pretty much but the relay is what will take the blunt of the amperage instead of the switch.
So you just tapped off of one of the wires running to the smog pump relay on the back of the fuse -box? which wire was it? Color? location ect?
Is there any need to run an in-line fuse?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Teching In

wondering the same question
Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

This is the best way to wire any accessory. Just a basic 5 terminal relay. With a switch on it all your doing is grounding relay to run the accessory so it wont burn up your switch either.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Banned

I used the fuel pump signal still ran the fan on its own relay but trigger wire from fuel pump. I figured if the fuel pump goes out the fan will be the least of my worries.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks everyone for the help. I tapped the gray ignition wire going to the fuse box and ran an in-line fuse for safety. I took some pictures of the complete fan install if anyone is interested for some pics on installing a large tranny cooler With fan.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed my electric fan transmission cooler and have not wired it yet, I was wondering if I could have it kick on with the engine fan?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smf_ss
I just installed my electric fan transmission cooler and have not wired it yet, I was wondering if I could have it kick on with the engine fan?
That would not be a problem, just use a relay like they stated above. Just make sure to check the wire you use for triggering the relay whether it is a ground, or 12V. My car is not a GM, so I dont know if GM uses a ground trigger or 12v trigger for the fan. Either way, as long as you found a wire that changes states when the fan turns on, you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler W/Fan Wiring Questions?