Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd gear pops out, and forth sticks??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear pops out, and forth sticks??

Hey everyone i just purchased a 2002 camaro z28. It had 6000 miles on it. I purchased it 1 month ago. It has ported Ls6 heads, custom comp cam, full headers, and exhaust. 480 horsepower at the flywheel. I love this car, but recently I had the car get stuck in 4th gear and couldn't get it out. Now, it doesn't stick in 4th, but it wants to pop out of 3rd gear in normal everyday driving. From what i read online my 3/4 gear fork is bent. What do you guys think? Also, if i do need it rebuilt what place should i use? TICKshift.com is a place that i have heard of.

What do you guys think about the 3rd gear popping out? It has a B&M short shifter in it, could it be something with that, or could it be that the fork is bent? Also, if you think it is bent who should i use?

Thanks guys, hope to hear some responses.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not checkout the B&M shifter ?

Otherwise... bent 3/4 shift-fork, syncro-slider, shift-keys ???

Some of our sponsors do good rebuilds... Tick Performance in North Carolina, Texas Drivetrain Performance, RPM through EPP in Indiana, D&D Performance in Michigan, Gearbox.org in Michigan.

I did my own and bought my parts from most of the above sources.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 AM
Launching!

To give you an idea...mine did the same thing before it completely lodged itself in between 3rd and 4th gear. I would highly recommend a rebuild before it gets that point. My trans had the shift fork bend and then the synchros went when that happened.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 AM
10 Second Club

Mine would get stuck in 3rd and in 4th. I broke the shift pads. But it does sound like you bent the shift fork.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

It could be a shift fork issue but more than likely its a broken or bent 3-4 shift key. Either way, have an upgraded steel fork installed when you have it rebuilt. Billet 3-4 keys are not a bad investment either.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 PM

thanks guys, i have talked to one shop in town that was recommended to me, the guy says that when he drove it, he doesn't think that the fork is bent. but the shift key is broken. Should i buy the key, and forks from tick performance or where? Thanks for all the help guys, but if the key is broken or the fork is bent, why does it hold 3rd gear if i just hold in place or during hard acceleration, but when i drive in at normal constant rpm does it just want to slip out of 3rd gear? That just bugs the **** out of me, also it doesn't even make any noises when it pops out of gear, it just slips out

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justparts2009
thanks guys, i have talked to one shop in town that was recommended to me, the guy says that when he drove it, he doesn't think that the fork is bent. but the shift key is broken. Should i buy the key, and forks from tick performance or where? Thanks for all the help guys, but if the key is broken or the fork is bent, why does it hold 3rd gear if i just hold in place or during hard acceleration, but when i drive in at normal constant rpm does it just want to slip out of 3rd gear? That just bugs the **** out of me, also it doesn't even make any noises when it pops out of gear, it just slips out

Thanks,

Aaron
I bought my rebuild parts from thegearbox.org. They sell genuine Tremec parts. I have no experience with Tick Performance, but I've heard they are good from many sources.

If you are tearing the trans apart to change the shift forks and keys, you might as well get the whole rebuilt kit while you are in there. I would replace all the blocker rings, the 3-4 shift fork, the shift fork pads, all the snap rings (cheap insurance), upgrade to billet keys, and replace the front and rear seals. You can get the majority of the parts in a basic rebuild kit. I would also inspect the bearings, and replace them if they show any wear.

The reason your car stays in 3rd under acceration is because there is a load on it. Meaning the synchro hub is engaged over the blocker rings, and there is rotational torque keeping the synchro hub from pulling backwards. If you are just cruising, there may not be a a constant rotational torque, and the bent shift fork will slowly pull the synchro hub off the blocker until it just pops out of gear.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Had this same problem myself. Installed a spec clutch and my first run at the track i got stuck in 4th at 110mph. Awesome. When i finally got it out of gear it wouldnt stay in third gear. I had a bent shift fork and broken syncros. Had to rebuild my tranny at 20k miles
Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justparts2009

Thanks,

Aaron
I would give at least a Stage I upgrade with all the goodies.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 PM

Well guys, i have a guy that rebuilds GM trannies for a living, that is going to do the rebuild. i am going to pull it from the car in the next couple of weeks, and get the rebuild. Thanks alot everyone. I love this LS1, and can not wait to make it better. Thanks alot. I will post again soon.

Quick Reply: 3rd gear pops out, and forth sticks??