Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stock T56 vs built level V T56

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock T56 vs built level V T56

What can a person expect going from a stocker to a race prepped level V ?

Smoother shifting? Durability ? What else ??

Please come in if you have a level V T56 and tell me about your experience. Don't forget to put your HP/TQ and basic setup. N/A setups preferred but anyone with a level V would be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
What can a person expect going from a stocker to a race prepped level V ?

Smoother shifting? Durability ? What else ??

Please come in if you have a level V T56 and tell me about your experience. Don't forget to put your HP/TQ and basic setup. N/A setups preferred but anyone with a level V would be appreciated.

Well, we (our shop) do not have a Level V, but I know what you mean, almost. Now, for a full fledged race prepped tranny, are you talking about a pro shifted or face plated tranny? If so, big difference.
If not, and say a "Viperized" type build, than yes, smoother shifting, more durable, that can take a load of abuse. Good for @ 700+HP
Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am going to steal your term "Viperized" and use it for my own terminology. I like that term.

What all is included in a "viperized" tranny? 31 spline input/output shafts, what else ?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

I am going to steal your term "Viperized" and use it for my own terminology. I like that term.

What all is included in a "viperized" tranny? 31 spline input/output shafts, what else ?

Well, I can't say I came up with the term though

For teh most part, when people refer to a "viperized" it is in reference to using a Viper output shaft and sometimes Viper input shaft, as well as the other upgrades, like the steel 3/4 fork, Billet Keys, Bronze pads, carbon fiber blocking rings, etc...

I found out that the input shaft is NORMALLY left alone (in other words kept stock) and the output (mainshaft) is what is swapped out, as most people don't break teh LS input. BUT, you CAN do teh Viper input as well, just requires some remachining and such.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks , I appreciate the info.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Went from stock '98 T56 to RPM's Level V and 3.90's. I think the mods in my sig are up to date.

Honestly, I can't tell a whole lot of difference as far as shifting goes. The car was in the shop for quite awhile before I was able to drive it again and I've only got about 150 miles on the new tranny, so take it for what its worth. This is also with the Hurst shifter which is pretty notchy to begin with.

Even though I can't tell much of a difference, its nice knowing that the tranny won't let me down.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the HURST shifter as well. I hear you on the notchy part. I still like it though. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by k-mart
Went from stock '98 T56 to RPM's Level V and 3.90's. I think the mods in my sig are up to date.

Honestly, I can't tell a whole lot of difference as far as shifting goes. The car was in the shop for quite awhile before I was able to drive it again and I've only got about 150 miles on the new tranny, so take it for what its worth. This is also with the Hurst shifter which is pretty notchy to begin with.

Even though I can't tell much of a difference, its nice knowing that the tranny won't let me down.
A lot of people think by adding billet keys or upgrading the shift fork makes the transmission stronger or shift better. This is not the case. Basically what you are doing is eliminating weak spots in the unit and trying to fix the weakest links in the chain that most commonly give issues in the T56. The physical gears, shafts and strength has not been changed what so ever. Its not until you actually start doing the Viper upgrade mainshaft and input shafts that you actually increase the capacity of torque the unit can handle. Rarely do I see stock mainshafts or input shafts twist or break even in high powered street cars. Most of the time you see the driveshaft yoke twist the splines and cause massive amounts of damage in some cases. The solution to this is installing a better yoke but this requires a larger yoke and that requires installing the "Viper" mainshaft upgrade. Changing the input shaft from the factory GM Ls1 shaft to a modified Viper shaft offers a slight amount of strength increase but exactly how much is cannot accurately be said.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good information. I appreciate it.

Can you get a t56 with custom gears ?? I'd really love to be able to hit 62mph in first gear so that I can see how fast she is to 60 mph. Then I'd like each gear selected to compliment next. Is this possible without having to spend $$$$$ or are there only a few available sets of individual gears to select from ? With my 3.42 ratio dte STG III w/brace the MN12 gearing vs M6 gearing would be an improvement, but I'd like it customized a little bit more. I'd really like 6th gear to be my top speed gear too. Hope I am making sense.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

Good information. I appreciate it.

Can you get a t56 with custom gears ?? I'd really love to be able to hit 62mph in first gear so that I can see how fast she is to 60 mph. Then I'd like each gear selected to compliment next. Is this possible without having to spend $$$$$ or are there only a few available sets of individual gears to select from ? With my 3.42 ratio dte STG III w/brace the MN12 gearing vs M6 gearing would be an improvement, but I'd like it customized a little bit more. I'd really like 6th gear to be my top speed gear too. Hope I am making sense.
Tremec only offers 2 sets of gears for the T56. There is a 2.97 ratio and a 2.66 ratio. Each set requires the entire 1-4 gears to be used as a matching set.

The 2.97 ration was used in the Z06, GTO as a triple/double syncro setup and used in the Tremec aftermarket T56 in a single/double syncro setup. This ratio is well suited for heavier cars or cars lacking the torque needed to make the 2.66 ratio work well.

The 2.66 ration was used in the 03-04 Cobra, Viper, F body and C5 Vette. All of the these gears are a single/double syncro setup except for the Vette. This gear ratio is stronger in strength capacity but is considered a softer gear ratio. This gear set is better suited for cars making strong torque or in light weight vehicles.

There are after market gears available for the T56 but you better prepare to spend some serious cash!!! With the release of the T56 Magnum/TR6060 as an after market unit, I really do not see those after market T56 gears having a strong presence at their current cost.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have an RPM Built Level V T56, thats got the viper parts, including the input. Also, all the parts are cryo'd and micropolished. In our old 02 WS.6, with a lid, catback, and 3.73s it made 351rwhp/372rwtq after a dyno tune. Its now in our 00 WS.6, thats cammed with full bolt ons. Made 392rwhp/368rwtq before the trans.

Have had the trans since March of 06 and havent had a single problem with it. it shifts about the same as the stock trans that was in our 00, maybe a little smoother. It had the Stock hurst and 6" stick while it was in the 02, now it has a Pro 5.0 with Lous short stick. Both shifters felt great on it.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good info. Thank you too, for sharing. Glad to hear the good experiences with a heavy duty built tranny.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We ussually just upgrade the output shaft to a hardened one and do the basic rebuild with new syncro's,billet keys and bronze pucks. Many 700-900rwhp F-body's and Vette's. One Vette had 25k miles and probly 150 track passes on his.No problems.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. Its been most helpful.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 AM
CARTEK Racing

Going from a stock T-56 to a Viper internals Faceplated unit from Tick was deffinatly a wake up call... LOL

I love how it "bangs" when you put it in 1st standing still lol... makes me feel like a race car driver! hahahaha I love It! Can't wait to race it.

In all seriousness, I would imagine that in your case, a well built trans will shift smoother, with less shifter effort I would imagine, and less missed gears if any at all.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've also been told the new tremec 6060 would be perfect. Any thoughts on that guys ?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by thesource
A lot of people think by adding billet keys or upgrading the shift fork makes the transmission stronger or shift better. This is not the case. Basically what you are doing is eliminating weak spots in the unit and trying to fix the weakest links in the chain .
While I understand what thesource is saying, I just wanted to clarify, that technically speaking, by performing these mods you are not increasing teh TQ rating of the tranny over it's "stock" rating, you are still making it stronger than stock by eliminating weak points (like teh shift fork and keys) So, he is right, it might just seem "mis-worded" is all.
That being said, I personally think it shifts better though after these mods are performed.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Banned

I've also been told the new tremec 6060 would be perfect. Any thoughts on that guys ?
The TR6060/Magnum looks like a good unit on paper. The biggest issue is the parts are super expensive right now if there is an issue. If you did not have a core to work with, I would say go for it. Since you do have a core, you could build a true Viper spec unit for a lot less.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Well, I perosnally don't have any experience with that tranny. Just not that many out, yet. But all teh read up on it, it SOUNDS like a real nice tranny. I do think thesource has had a few in his possession though, could be wrong.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thesource
The TR6060/Magnum looks like a good unit on paper. The biggest issue is the parts are super expensive right now if there is an issue. If you did not have a core to work with, I would say go for it. Since you do have a core, you could build a true Viper spec unit for a lot less.
I guess I am just doing research for the future. I have been told that my trans is not very important to upgrade at this time. Just keep the fluid changed and shift cleanly and she'll hold everything I throw at it, even 150 shot on top of what my motor is putting out already. Just thinking ahead. I was most curious to how much smoother the "built" trans shifts and I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.

A Pfadt Coil over system with upgraded Anti Sway bars and all the other upgrades is on the list first, so I can keep my bitch under control at high speeds under heavy throttle. I also really like the trans brace they have. Supports the tranny, and is supposed to assist with reducing wheel hop? I believe I read that. Anyone else?

Quick Reply: Stock T56 vs built level V T56