Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Struggles

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 Struggles

Okay guys here goes. I have a 2003 5.3 from a Silverado. Truck intake will not fit into my application so I have chosen to go with an LS1 intake. I have the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors. I also have gone with an LS1 water pump to make clearance for the throttle body. Now I need to convert to F-Body accessories. I have the alternator bracket and plan to tap the boss on the block for the mount. Is there an issue with mounting the alternator with only two bolts? It also does not look like the idler pulley from the truck is the proper size, anyone know? I also think the power steering pump from the truck is not correct. Does anyone have pictures of the F-Body accessory setup? I seem to be chasing my tail here and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks.................
Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a bracket that is made to use car style intakes with truck accessories....Area 51 Motorsports makes one and some others I believe...looks like this:

Old 07-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks Petrazewsky. Looks like Area 51 is having some financial difficulties. Your picture did not work Can you send again? Do you recall the name of the others that may have the setup?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a link with a pic...4th pic down...oh and Speartech makes it also...there's is a lil different..and there's a guy over on S10forum that makes them like the speartech ones...but you said that you have already bought a LS1 car style water pump... and I guess you're already trying to fit the F-body stuff onto the truck brackets? And this bracket won't allow for the car style water pump to be used because of the forward pointing outlet...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Pic of Speartech one:

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 07-02-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply Petraszewsky. I purchased the waterpump but it can still be returned. I would like to stay with the truck setup but the alternator sits up too high. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now deciding which way to go and not break the bank. How does the throttle body clear the upper water pump outlet? When I drop the intake on the TB clearly is hitting. Can the outlet be bent out of the way easily without damaging it? This swap is starting to get out of hand with these little issues piling up.

Thanks for any suggestions............
Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

What all accessories do you want to use? alternator , power steering , a/c..etc??? I've seen guys twist the outlet out of the way so i don't see any issues with that...but the alternator not clearing the hood is a different problem...It won't even clear with notching the hood??

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 07-02-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I will be using the power steering pump, alternator and A/C. I am going to do another test fit this weekend and double check the alternator clearance. The truck intake would definately not clear. I have the LS1 intake on and can easily put the alternator back on for the test. (The water pump is currently not on)
Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I mean if you didn't mind notching the hood if need be then it could save ya some money and you might not even have to notch anyways...Although from looking at pics the alternator looks just as high if not higher than the truck intake....

Quick Reply: 5.3 Struggles