Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any harm/good in putting a filter in place of oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any harm/good in putting a filter in place of oil cap?

On an 02... Speed-Inc sells one to replace the oil fill cap. Any positives or negatives?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will be venting the passenger side of your engine and not the drivers side- unequal pressure is usually not a good thing. Now if you did this to both sides and removed the PCV system like a lot of FI people do then it wouldn't be a problem
Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

you'd have to either eliminate the PCV system or tune for it.

you'll be opening up the PCV to fresh unmetered air, which can cause the car to run lean.

basically, there is no big benefit over running it like stock...so i say keep it that way
Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by teke184

you'll be opening up the PCV to fresh unmetered air, which can cause the car to run lean.

basically, there is no big benefit over running it like stock...so i say keep it that way
AGREED
Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
you will be venting the passenger side of your engine and not the drivers side- unequal pressure is usually not a good thing. Now if you did this to both sides and removed the PCV system like a lot of FI people do then it wouldn't be a problem
Circle track guys cant run vents on both sides due to oil slosh. We ran our motor for 10 years with 2 filters on the driver's side valve cover, nothing on the passenger's side.

Are LS motors different?

BTW, I have been running that same motor on the street for the past 3 years with no issues.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have had the speed inc oil cap breather for about 4 years now and i have not had any problems with it,
Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need some edumacation on this. So does the PCV system tie into both sides or just driver's? If no then what does it mess up on the passenger side? It is to let pressure out so what goes unmetered?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

405hp_z06 has some great posts on PCVs. This is an interesting thread, check out post #6:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

It's fine. Remove the pvc, plug it at the throttle body, and run a line from one valve cover to the other via the nipples in the back(where the pvc was hooked up). Do a search on valve cover breather for more info.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

What happened back in the Dark Ages before the advent of the EPA? Does anyone remember? Look at what the EPA did with EGR. Why do manufacturers only tap EGR gasses off of one side of a "V" engine instead of both sides if EGR is such a great idea? PCV is the same thing. Why does GM only put a PCV valve on one valve cover and vent the other bank directly into the intake witout a check valve? What's up with that? PCV pressures need to go somewhere. I figure if you believe in Global Warming or you're a tree hugger then you keep it stock. Otherwise you scrap the whold thing. Get yourself some rubber hose and a "T" and vent it the way it was done before the EPA came along in the old school days.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

The benefit is no oil in the intake.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ILLWS6
The benefit is no oil in the intake.
good point.....I ran one on my stock z28 and never had an issue running lean.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Doesn't everyone need an intake coated with oil(PCV) and soot(EGR). I don't believe there is even a name for that mixture unless maybe the EPA has thought of one. Not something I want to coat my intake with.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

The idea of the PCV is to create a vacuum in the engine to pull the gases that result naturally in an internal combustion engine and burn them. The benefits for us are that the engine compartment stays cleaner and the negative pressure reduces pressure on seals and gaskets and reduces oil leaks. The negatives are that oil mist accumulates in the intake. A catch can cleans the mist so that you are pulling relatively clean air and get the benefits of a PCV with few drawbacks. "Back in the days" before PCVs, the mist was vented out the filler cap resulting in dirty valve covers and engine compartments or vented out the bottom via a tube, resulting in a greasy undercarriage.

The EGR does not recirculate exhaust gas to burn it a second time as many think, but introduces inflammable gas in the intake on light throttle to reduce the combustion temperature and thereby reduce Nitrogen Oxide gases from the exhaust.

So....with a catch can the PCV system can be a plus and I would do that rather than add a breather.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
What happened back in the Dark Ages before the advent of the EPA? Does anyone remember?

Why does GM only put a PCV valve on one valve cover and vent the other bank directly into the intake witout a check valve? What's up with that? PCV pressures need to go somewhere.

you do realize that in stock form, the PCV pulls fumes from both sides, and through one check valve.

here is a drawing i made up, similar to 450hp_zo6's drawings.

its the route the stock PCV runs on the non-ls6 pcv equipped engines

Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I need some edumacation on this. So does the PCV system tie into both sides or just driver's? If no then what does it mess up on the passenger side? It is to let pressure out so what goes unmetered?

as stated above, it DOES tie in both sides.

if you just pull the filler cap and put a breather on it, but leave the rest of the PCV system intact...than the vacuum from the intake manifold will draw air in through the proper hose (fresh air line in the front of the passenger VC), and through the breather.

the fresh air line comes off the intake track AFTER the MAF sensor, so its been metered
air coming in from the breather would be unmetered since it didn't pass the MAF.

while it may run fine, it can create a lean condition.....just like if you have a hole in the PCV hose someplace (common).

NOW....in regular driving, this may not be enough to create a problem. the computer will adjust the a/f over time via the o2 sensors to fix the problem. i know when i had a hole in my PCV my long term fuel trims (ltft) were reaching +25%, which means enough air was entering the system unmetered to warrant the ECM correcting with 25% more fuel. at 25% the ECM triggers a SES light...if you engine isn't requiring that much fuel correction you may never know it.

HOWEVER...at WOT the engine runs off predetermined a/f calculations. meaning there isn't any "learning" to lean or richen the mix.

so under WOT that added air could be leaning out your engine. now generally our cars are tuned a bit rich, so you MAY actually benefit from the increased air in the system, but it IS possible to run it too lean and cause damage.

there are 2 ways to correct for this.

one is to have the car tuned with the breather in place. and the rest of the PCV system set up in near stock form. that way the tune takes into account the added air at various throttle positions, as well as the added air at WOT. basically banking on the idea that the amount of air coming in is consistent for a given amount of throttle...ie...intake vacuum.

the second is to remove the PCV system, plug the vacuum port on the intake manifold so no more air is drawn in. you also have to plug the fresh air port on the TB so metered air doesn't escape. then just have the breather in place on the valve cover.
that method depends on the pressurization of the crank case to push the gases out the breather, many times in doing so, it pushes oil vapor out as well. hence the issue with oil film on the engine.

so i think i got that all covered....any questions??