Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

A/C help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C help!!!

Hey guys I was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on this for me. Up untill a 2 months ago my a/c was working fine, then out of nowhere it just stopped working and blows hot. My first thought was that mabye it just needed a charge so I bought a can of R-134a one with a guage on it. As soon as I hooked it up It was reading that it was already fully charged????
I am not sure what to do with it at this point, I am trying to avoid taking it to a a/c shop because I need to a huge repair bill. As it is I dont really drive the car, only on weekends but now it is so damn hot out i dont want to drive it at all.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!
thanks!!!!

Last edited by bigken; 07-07-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i work for autozone and weve had alot of people coming in with that problem and most of the time its the clutch not working properly
Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Teching In

lol same **** happened to me brought it to my guy..

he told me it was shot and about 1,000 for him to drain out install new clutch/compressor and put the freon back in.

I told him naw i rather sweat my *** off.

Tbh if ur compressor is shot its not worth it.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

i thought i had the same problem,but mine just takes 20 minutes to become cool
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

F that. Open the system, change the compressor, and recharge. Find someone like me that has a/c tools, or find a shop that will vacuum the system and recharge for cheap. It ain't rocket science. My guages, vacuum pump, and everything paid for itself in about 2 jobs.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
F that. Open the system, change the compressor, and recharge. Find someone like me that has a/c tools, or find a shop that will vacuum the system and recharge for cheap. It ain't rocket science. My guages, vacuum pump, and everything paid for itself in about 2 jobs.
how much do you charge to vacuum & recharge a system?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Before throwing parts at it you need to find out exactly what is wrong with the system. Not to be rude but those gauges on a can aren't really worth a crap!

First off you need to find out if it is fully charged by having a decent set of gauges for high and low side. Then are you getting power to the compressor, if you are can you tap on the compressor clutch and get it to engage?
If no power, why are you not getting power, fuse, relay, pressure switch, internal pressure problem with the system, a/c control head signal???

May cost a little upfront but instead of throwing parts at it and hoping to get it right have it properly diagnosed and save a lot in the long run but at the same time find someone that is honest and not someone wanting to replace half the system for around 1K!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Launching!

You should really go to a few AC shops and see what they say
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Launching!

thanks for the info guys, can anyone reccomend a good shop in the Spring Hill Brooksville are that isnt going to rob me just to diagnose the car or am i going to get stuck paying for an hour or two of labor no matter where i go?
Just want to have someone look at it who is honest!
I know the guages on the cans from the store arent accurate, mabye the relay could be bad? I have had to replace alot of various sensors on the car, i dont know if the car sitting and not really using it has something to do with it.
thanks for the help guys!
or if anybody locally who has the tools could look at it that would be great, but if anyone knows a good shop here that works too.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed. I have true a/c guages, and you can diagnose a lot from just them. The can guage is nice for recharging a known good system I guess.

Find out what you got. We can talk once you know more if you want to drive over here. I bet you find a honest shop near you if you ask around. If not, let me know.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

jump your low pressure switch and see what happens. if the compressor engages and works fine then may very well be the culprit. thats what sends the signal to the compressor to activate. i learned about ac real quick with my old lt1 car. 2 south florida summers without ac.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Launching!

how do you jump the low pressure switch? is it possible that the a/c relay could be bad?...... One thing i did notice is that when i was trying to fill the a/c the condensor was getting cold, but now if i turn the air on it doesnt form that condensation around it. I havent paid attention if the clutch is engaging at all i guess that is something i should look for later today.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

the condensor or the accumulator?
Old 07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Launching!

the condensor isnt getting cold, and the clutch on the compressor seems to be engaging, I can see it spinning but it isnt making alof of noise. When I put the cheap can guage on it again it was reading in the red zone so I have no idea whats wrong? Dont know how something can work fine that all of a sudden take a crap
Old 07-13-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is your fan blowing air? sounds like the main vent is stuck closed.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

High low side is either overcharge or something in the comressor or some wierd blockage in the low side. As long as you did not overcharge, I would say compressor....
Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

pull the pcm fuse to reset my 1995 would stop working if it sat all i would do is reset the pcm then it would work fine don't know why but it worked for me .
Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Launching!

I am getting air out of the vents but it just feels warm at best. I most likely over charged the a/c and at this point need to take it somewhere to have it looked at or mabye have the system drained and re charged?...
Old 07-14-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

You need someone to hook a set of guages (low and high) up to it. Otherwise you are just guessing.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Launching!

I dont suppose anyone here has a set of guages and would be willing to take a look at it???

Quick Reply: A/C help!!!