Sponsored by:

Throttle cable recommendation for A-body swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 AM
RYU
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cable recommendation for A-body swap

I have to upgrade gas pedals and try to fit a 1968 pedal onto my firewall. I currently have the 66 pedal on my Chevelle and with the long throw arm it just won't work - it'll end up hitting the intake I think. The middle one below should work (the left one is my stock pedal, right is from a 64 I believe).

Do you guys have any recommendations on which cable to use? Part #'s too please if not too much trouble.

My research tells me others have used this lokar piece PN TC-1000LS1 but I can't picture how this part will mount to one of my pedals below. Will I need an anchor fitting of some kind onto the firewall or maybe not?

Last edited by RYU; 07-10-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a small plastic piece that pushes into the spot I drew the circle around. You will need to remove the clevis from the end of the cable. Slide the cable through the slot in the plastic piece and then pop the that part back into the pedal arm.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle cable recommendation for A-body swap-pedal.jpg  
Old 07-10-2009, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

I used the one in the middle for my 65
Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I reused the stock one, changed the pedal to a 69 Camaro. Used a lokar cable, and a Holley swivel end....see pictures...

T,

Last edited by TomM; 07-10-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the stock 71 pedal... looked like the middle one and used the LS1 Lokar cable.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
RYU
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
There is a small plastic piece that pushes into the spot I drew the circle around. You will need to remove the clevis from the end of the cable. Slide the cable through the slot in the plastic piece and then pop the that part back into the pedal arm.
That's what I suspected. Any idea if this plastic housing piece comes with the lokar cable? I might have to rig up something
Originally Posted by TomM
I reused the stock one, changed the pedal to a 69 Camaro. Used a lokar cable, and a Holley swivel end....see pictures...

T,
Man... I wish I had that much room back there. I've got my motor pushed back as close to the firewall as possible - about 3/4" from firewall to passenger side cyl head. What motor mounts are you using?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RYU
Man... I wish I had that much room back there. I've got my motor pushed back as close to the firewall as possible - about 3/4" from firewall to passenger side cyl head. What motor mounts are you using?
Used the Street and Performance mounts......

T,
Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

I used the stock 67 pedal. I did away with all the parts that go past the firewall. I just bolted a piece of U Channel aluminum to the lower part of the pedal just above where the rubber pedal touches. Then bent it slightly backwards and attached the throttle cable to the top of the aluminum. Then I drilled a hole and anchored the cable at the firewall. I should have taken pics but it has been working great for 10k miles now.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't understand what I'm looking at. My pedal is like the middle one except it has the top rod like the third one. My old pedal just connected to that. My Lokar had a U shaped end that you put a bolt or something through, so I had to twist the rod on the pedal sideways to line up with the U end.

I guess my car was missing some kinda piece that goes between the pedal and the engine bay...I just made it work.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:54 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

I was thinking of twisting the hole end as well but I think an adapter exists.

The other hole is for the kickdown cable. Some were mounted on the pedal and not the carb. If you have a manual trans you might not have had one.. just guess on my part.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I don't understand what I'm looking at. My pedal is like the middle one except it has the top rod like the third one. My old pedal just connected to that. My Lokar had a U shaped end that you put a bolt or something through, so I had to twist the rod on the pedal sideways to line up with the U end.

I guess my car was missing some kinda piece that goes between the pedal and the engine bay...I just made it work.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=RYU;11889173]I was thinking of twisting the hole end as well but I think an adapter exists.

Any updates on this?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:52 AM
RYU
Staging Lane

I used the cable available from Autozone. It's a shorter steel braided line. it barely fits.

I used the top of the two holes in the gas pedal.

Works great. Nothing trick but very functional.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Launching!

I toss out my stock pedal and go with Lokar pedal and cable, pricey but plug and playis so easy

Quick Reply: Throttle cable recommendation for A-body swap