Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different cam Q. 450 rwhp 410 rwtq...NO LOPE

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A different cam Q. 450 rwhp 410 rwtq...NO LOPE

I currently am running a G5X2 232/240 .595''/.609'' 112...bit to peaky for my taste. Don't get me wrong, awesome cam. Just too street-drag, and that's not what the car is being built for.

I primarily use the car on the street...but as a road race street car. I live within 20 minutes of 5 amazing Utah canyons with great fast open corners and don't drive in traffic much...I want more torque.

My question is: Which cam with the Victor Jr. EFI in a road racing application? I love the way the car rev's above 5k now (a little more like the porsche flat 6[slightly] with the new Victor intake and heads)...I'll never go back to the LS6 intake or even a fast. Top end is still important to me.

The catch...Is it possible to get 450 rwhp and 410 rwtq with no or little lope N/A in a 346? The motor is in the wrong car facing the wrong direction...not many things are typical with my requests...sorry for the tall order.

I know Patrick G is the Cam God here and Thunder is an awesome place to call...but i'm looking for your ideas and experiences. I'll be contacting them soon.

Thanks, Russ
Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

I would shoot Predator Z a PM and see what he recommends, he is very helpful and my goals were a little less yet similar to yours. He spec'd me the cam below mated to some unworked 243s, the goal is more TQ coming in sooner and less high rev/peak up top.

230/230 .612/.592 111+2 LSA

I am looking to beak 400 RWTQ...what kind of work is done to your heads and who did it, I am debating to have my worked over before the install.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's possible, but you'll need a good set of heads to do it.

I've done 460/410 with a set of hand finished TEA 5.3's, and the cam had very very little lope and drove like stock.

Vengeance just finished up an X3 build (226/228) with Trick Flow 215's that made 450rwhp through a heavy drivetrain, and the X3 doesn't lope very much at all. I've installed about 3-4 of those, nice cam.

It can be done if the supporting mods are there.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
dug
Banned

did you lose any lowend with the victor intake?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you should change the intake 1st is your really running a victor and wnat to change cams for low end.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by studderin
sounds like you should change the intake 1st is your really running a victor and wnat to change cams for low end.
I swapped from a Ls6 intake because i didn't like the "strain" i felt above even 4500 rpm. I LOVE THE VICTOR JR. Now it loves hanging out at 5500 rpm mid corner. Swapping from this intake probably wont happen. The heads and intake are port matched and the setup flowed 311 cfm through a tall elbow and 90mm TB when it was on my buddies 427 C5.

did you lose any lowend with the victor intake?
The throttle response is WWAAYY better in the low rpms with the 4150 TB. No surging, and if i did lose any tq if at all, (-10 rwtq @ 2500 rpm and -5 rwtq @ 3000 rpm) it was minimal and barely felt.

Just a side note-The intake sounds much different than the LS6. Much louder SUCKING sound at idle due to IAC motor. If the car wasn't so damn loud without cat's, it would be really annoying.

I would shoot Predator Z a PM and see what he recommends, he is very helpful and my goals were a little less yet similar to yours. He spec'd me the cam below mated to some unworked 243s, the goal is more TQ coming in sooner and less high rev/peak up top.

230/230 .612/.592 111+2 LSA

I am looking to beak 400 RWTQ...what kind of work is done to your heads and who did it, I am debating to have my worked over before the install.
The head work was done by a local LS Guru friend that had them on his own car. When i was at his house i asked how many porting hours he would estimate he had into them, his wife interrupted and answered "days honey, not hours". I'm very happy with them. I went from unported 243's with springs and stock valves, to these (2.02'' 1.60'' 10* locks Ti retainers 62cc). They love upper rpms and i do too.

I really should talk to predator Z. He seems like a nice guy. Every response i read from him seems respectful even if someone is being a douche.

I've heard lingenfelter's cams are ground to avoid lope. I might give them a call this next week.

I love lope guys...but it's a narrow body 911 and it does NOT sound right sounding like a stock car with two small mufflers a little over a foot from the heads.

Thanks guys, Any more suggestions? I'll post a little video if the rain stops tonight.

Last edited by lazylongboarder; 07-11-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Damian
It's possible, but you'll need a good set of heads to do it.

I've done 460/410 with a set of hand finished TEA 5.3's, and the cam had very very little lope and drove like stock.

Vengeance just finished up an X3 build (226/228) with Trick Flow 215's that made 450rwhp through a heavy drivetrain, and the X3 doesn't lope very much at all. I've installed about 3-4 of those, nice cam.

It can be done if the supporting mods are there.
Do you have more info on the cam? Any video's? Very little lope and 460/410 sounds good to me.

I need a UD pulley and LT's. I'm running cut off block huggers with a 3'' collector. I probably have around 15-20 wheel left on the table with these two changes.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM
dug
Banned

the wider the lsa the less lope, but it also means less lowend torque.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dug
the wider the lsa the less lope, but it also means less lowend torque.

I've been thinking that same theory but i'm confused. Stock cams are in the low 120's right? Big cams often yeild LESS TQ with 110 LSA...I don't get it.
I thought LSA is TQ placement in the powerband.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:10 PM
dug
Banned

Theres more to it than that. Look at the stock ls6 cam. It makes good topend power, but there are aftermarket grinds that match or exceed the topend while making more midrange.

The cam I had in the sig had more of a lumpy idle than lopey. I think a 230 114 +4 on xer lobes would idle noticably smoother than your current cam but the lowend wouldnt be any better. I dont know, Im not an expert.

Actually check out PatG's old set up. He had a combo that made a lot of power with a cam that had only 226 duration.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you stuck on the Vic JR? Really no need for that unless you are spinning 7k+ RPMS all the time... (or have a bigger cube motor)
Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
Is it possible to get 450 rwhp and 410 rwtq with no or little lope N/A in a 346?
No. You can make a little less power with a small amount, but still very noticable.

I LOVE THE VICTOR JR. Now it loves hanging out at 5500 rpm mid corner. Swapping from this intake probably wont happen.
Low end torque won't happen either, not even with some super secret magic grind. Edelbrock rates it's powerband at 3500-7500RPM. That means even with a 400+ ci engine under it, the low RPM torque won't be there.

You'll probably make better average power and still keep the high RPM feel you like with a ported FAST 92mm intake manifold and throttle body.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the op:

what are you goals for this setup? do you know how these parts work together? using a cam with little to no lope with a single plane is bassackwards. if anything i'd say you need something like a 24x/24x on a 108 to make the most use of that single plane. you're trying to go the other way. the car won't scream above 5k with a baby cam in it, regardless of intake choice. it sounds like you'd be better off going with a lingenfelter cam and fast 92 setup, as i don't see a single plane and 118lsa cam getting along very well at all.

pm the cam guys, i'd guess they'll all tell you to change intakes first haha.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by s346k
to the op:

what are you goals for this setup? do you know how these parts work together? using a cam with little to no lope with a single plane is bassackwards. if anything i'd say you need something like a 24x/24x on a 108 to make the most use of that single plane. you're trying to go the other way. the car won't scream above 5k with a baby cam in it, regardless of intake choice. it sounds like you'd be better off going with a lingenfelter cam and fast 92 setup, as i don't see a single plane and 118lsa cam getting along very well at all.

pm the cam guys, i'd guess they'll all tell you to change intakes first haha.

I was really just curious if it was possible. I'm in complete agreement with the bassackwards. The car has such little weight to it that even with the current G5X2 it's got good low end at WOT @ 2500 rpm. I just wanted more, and i imagine with a well spec'd cam for this intake (which probably has a hell of a lot of lope) would yield another 10 rwhp at 6000 rpm and 20 rwtq at 3500 rpm. I know my figures are backwards and the single planes make more at the top...I WON'T BE SWAPPING THE INTAKE unless i can find someone to trade a Mamo'd fast 90 for this setup.

I'm looking for another 10-15 rwhp up top and 20 rwtq @ 3500 rpm. You're probably right that it won't happen with a single plain and a wide LSA. I'm looking for these figures obviously AFTER the UD pulley and LT's.

I'm not hellbent on #'s by any means. I'd rather tell someone it's got 330 rwhp (because it's always asked with an exhaust note like this in a narrow 911) and blow past them than work from inflated #'s. In other words, i don't care about the figure, just burning the wheels in thirdand i want more.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Launching!

My number are in the sig. I really enjoy my VRX2. Plenty of torque and rwhp was not to bad either.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:48 PM
dug
Banned

a solid roller cam can use more agressive lobes which have a smoother idle. Or you could use the rhoads bleed down lifters
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6RED2002TA
My number are in the sig. I really enjoy my VRX2. Plenty of torque and rwhp was not to bad either.
That's awesome for a 224/228! Probably has a little to do with the TFS 215's

What lifts does your cam have? Man you've got a nice setup. Are your heads touched?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why your so hung up on an intake thats intended for high RPM power but yet your driving it on the street.

Will changing the camshaft to something different help? Maybe. But your still using the wrong intake for the job..period, IMO.

I really dont think its worth all the work to swap cams to gain less than you would with swapping intakes.

Again, just my $.02
Old 07-12-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Not sure why your so hung up on an intake thats intended for high RPM power but yet your driving it on the street.

Will changing the camshaft to something different help? Maybe. But your still using the wrong intake for the job..period, IMO.

I really dont think its worth all the work to swap cams to gain less than you would with swapping intakes.

Again, just my $.02
So you're saying there are no ported Victor Jr's over 400 rwtq on a 346?

I'm coming from less than 200 lb. ft. of torque and the car was superb in what the car was built to do. The car was not built for drag racing and that's not what i'm trying to do. I'm just looking for more torque than what i've got with the peaky G5X2. I DON'T WANT TO SWAP INTAKES.

Cam question: What cam would yield 15-20 lbs. ft. more torque and keep the top end i've got or a little more, without changing intakes? I might rephrase the question and leave the lope part out of it.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC

Again, just my $.02
Swapping cams takes very little time with my setup and is fairly convenient since all i need to do is pull the rear bumper and the the timing cover is right there. About 2.5 hours. Not a big deal.

Quick Reply: A different cam Q. 450 rwhp 410 rwtq...NO LOPE