General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

E-brake or rotor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-brake or rotor problem?

Okay, so whenever I'm driving, regardless of how long I'm driving or how fast I'm going, there is a consistent squeak for each revolution of my rear right wheel. Ideas?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it goes away when you apply the brakes, it's likely worn pads.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eseibel67
If it goes away when you apply the brakes, it's likely worn pads.
The brakes are 10k old, but you can still hear it when it brakes. Actually, the brakes will squeak to the same beat to the wheel when pressed lightly.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It isn't the pads I can promise you that. It is the brake hardware that holds the pads in the bracket. The little metal pieces in the bracket. Those are worn and rubbing the rotor that is causing the squeak. Get new hardware from GM they are the only ones that won't squeak.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
It isn't the pads I can promise you that. It is the brake hardware that holds the pads in the bracket. The little metal pieces in the bracket. Those are worn and rubbing the rotor that is causing the squeak. Get new hardware from GM they are the only ones that won't squeak.
Are they in the calipers or something? I'll try to take pictures of the wheel taken off and try to look for what you're talking about.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No they are the little metal tab thingys that are in the bracket. You know when you take off the caliper and the pads are still in the bracket? When you slide them out those little metal tabs between the bracket and pads.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
No they are the little metal tab thingys that are in the bracket. You know when you take off the caliper and the pads are still in the bracket? When you slide them out those little metal tabs between the bracket and pads.
they are pad shims but any ways i dont know if the rears are dual piston calipers like the front but when my front calipers went out if the two pistons arent exactly extended the same it will cause sqeaking. i fought my front calipers for months trying to get em right. but on the other hand a warped rotor will cause this also. if a shop used an impact wrench on ur rears recently this is likely the cause. good luck i hate doing brakes also
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by antsls1
they are pad shims but any ways i dont know if the rears are dual piston calipers like the front but when my front calipers went out if the two pistons arent exactly extended the same it will cause sqeaking. i fought my front calipers for months trying to get em right. but on the other hand a warped rotor will cause this also. if a shop used an impact wrench on ur rears recently this is likely the cause. good luck i hate doing brakes also
Well, for all I know, a shop could have used an impact wrench on it, since I bought the car at 124k. I personally haven't taken the car to the shop, since I've done all my own work.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Rear caliper is a single piston.

Jack that side up and pull the tire and rotor off.

Inspect the rotor for heavy wear like a dragging pad or the brake shim that was mentioned above.
Check the shims themself as the rotor might not show wear from the shims after the pad has ran across the face.

When you pull up to a light/stop sign and brake while not touching the steering wheel, does the car pull in that dirrection?

I had that issue and found out that I had something wrong in my caliper (spring or something I think the shop said that wasn't let it open after the brakes were released) and the rotor its self had a nice 1/4" groove all around on the inside of the rotor... pad was almost completely gone.