Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Real Bad Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Real Bad Vibration

I had a 93Z28 with a 383 and D1 Combo, It had a bad vibration after the motor install, which I never drove much then tore it apart.

I recently bought a 95Z28 with a bad T56, missing 2nd gear. Other than that, no real problems or vibrations. I swapped the T56 out of my 93Z28 into this 95, and now I have this horrible vibration, starting at 40 its vibrating the center console around, and it just gets worse, at 100 it feels like the cars coming apart. The car is lowered with Eibach Pro kit, stock driveshaft, LS1 rear end with LS1 brakes front and rear.

Its not the driveshaft as it wasnt vibrating like this till I swapped transmissions, still, I jacked the rear of the car up and pulled the rear tires off, and ran the car with no rims and tires, same vibration from 40 and up. shaking the car around.

I checked the Tailshaft bushing, and there is slight movement in the driveshaft where it goes into the back of the T56, wear in the tailshaft bushing is what Im guessing, but would this slight movement cause so much of a vibration in the car? It has to be in the transmission.

I forgot to mention, when this trans was in the 93 with the stroker, I twisted 3 LS1 Aluminum driveshafts in half, slamming them around under the car, Im wondering if this bent the mainshaft in the trans...

Anywho, any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,
James
Old 07-17-2009, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ULOSE
I had a 93Z28 with a 383 and D1 Combo, It had a bad vibration after the motor install, which I never drove much then tore it apart.

I recently bought a 95Z28 with a bad T56, missing 2nd gear. Other than that, no real problems or vibrations. I swapped the T56 out of my 93Z28 into this 95, and now I have this horrible vibration, starting at 40 its vibrating the center console around, and it just gets worse, at 100 it feels like the cars coming apart. The car is lowered with Eibach Pro kit, stock driveshaft, LS1 rear end with LS1 brakes front and rear.

Its not the driveshaft as it wasnt vibrating like this till I swapped transmissions, still, I jacked the rear of the car up and pulled the rear tires off, and ran the car with no rims and tires, same vibration from 40 and up. shaking the car around.

I checked the Tailshaft bushing, and there is slight movement in the driveshaft where it goes into the back of the T56, wear in the tailshaft bushing is what Im guessing, but would this slight movement cause so much of a vibration in the car? It has to be in the transmission.

I forgot to mention, when this trans was in the 93 with the stroker, I twisted 3 LS1 Aluminum driveshafts in half, slamming them around under the car, Im wondering if this bent the mainshaft in the trans...

Anywho, any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,
James

Well, we can eliminate alot of things real easily.....when you first got this car (the 95) and you went and drove it, and you got it up to speed, right? No vibration, right? And then you pull the tranny out, and put in YOUR tranny, and THAT WAS IT right? No driveshaft swap? Flywheel? Clutch swap? Etc....JUST the tranny? If so, then yeah, something is bent internally (probaly teh mainshaft like you think) and since you are saying there IS some slop @ tailshaft bushing, etc....
Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, we can eliminate alot of things real easily.....when you first got this car (the 95) and you went and drove it, and you got it up to speed, right? No vibration, right? And then you pull the tranny out, and put in YOUR tranny, and THAT WAS IT right? No driveshaft swap? Flywheel? Clutch swap? Etc....JUST the tranny? If so, then yeah, something is bent internally (probaly teh mainshaft like you think) and since you are saying there IS some slop @ tailshaft bushing, etc....

Yes, just the trans, and the trans mount were changed.

I guess I know its in the trans, my question is is this a common problem for a Mainshaft in the trans to be bent, as Ive not heard of this before? Also, ive done alot of reading on vibrations in these cars, and the Tailshaft Bushing keeps coming up, my question is would the tailshaft bushing be the culprit for such a bad vibration, or would it just cause a minor vibe..

Thanks,
James
Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Yes, just the trans, and the trans mount were changed.

I guess I know its in the trans, my question is is this a common problem for a Mainshaft in the trans to be bent, as Ive not heard of this before? Also, ive done alot of reading on vibrations in these cars, and the Tailshaft Bushing keeps coming up, my question is would the tailshaft bushing be the culprit for such a bad vibration, or would it just cause a minor vibe..

Thanks,
James

No, it is not common. People DO upgrade to teh Viper shaft, but you really do not hear much from people that bend the mainshaft. But, by you breaking/snapping a few DRIVEshafts, and they bounce around once snapped, ANYTHING could have happened, and a damaged output/mainshaft is one of them.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

I would doubt the mainshaft is bent. I would start with the front U joint of the driveshaft if it were me. Also inspect the splines on the yoke and look for a twist in them about half way down the yoke.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by thesource
I would doubt the mainshaft is bent. I would start with the front U joint of the driveshaft if it were me. Also inspect the splines on the yoke and look for a twist in them about half way down the yoke.

But, that driveshaft was in teh car with the old tranny and it did not vibrate. The only thing he changed is the tranny is why I believe it has to be in the tranny.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
But, that driveshaft was in teh car with the old tranny and it did not vibrate. The only thing he changed is the tranny is why I believe it has to be in the tranny.

Precisely, would a bad tailshaft bushing cause a really bad vibration?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Precisely, would a bad tailshaft bushing cause a really bad vibration?
It can depending on how worn it is. Where do you feel the vibration at inside the car?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

would a bad tailshaft bushing cause a really bad vibration?

I agree with tehsource on this...yes, it can, and like thesource said, depending on how bad it is

Quick Reply: Real Bad Vibration