Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping gauge clusters with LSX swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default swapping gauge clusters with LSX swap

I am planning on purchasing an entire car for my LS swap into my 70 A-Body. Either an F body, or GTO, maybe even a CTS-V. I will be trying to use any and all parts from the donor car to make my swap as cost effictive as possible. I'd like to add some creature comforts to my Chevelle, like Power windows, power locks, Newer HVAC (preferably out of the donor car) cruise ect... Anyway I don't really like the look of any of the stock clusters in any of the possible donor cars, and really don't like the look of the sweep cluster that is in my Chevelle. I found an OEM cluster that looks very nice and I'd like to try to adapt it into my swap. The custer I'm looking at is the new 08+ Silverado cluster. Is there a way to adapt the new silverado cluster to say a camaro or GTO BCM?

Steve
Old 07-21-2009, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Deserttaco
I am planning on purchasing an entire car for my LS swap into my 70 A-Body. Either an F body, or GTO, maybe even a CTS-V. I will be trying to use any and all parts from the donor car to make my swap as cost effictive as possible. I'd like to add some creature comforts to my Chevelle, like Power windows, power locks, Newer HVAC (preferably out of the donor car) cruise ect... Anyway I don't really like the look of any of the stock clusters in any of the possible donor cars, and really don't like the look of the sweep cluster that is in my Chevelle. I found an OEM cluster that looks very nice and I'd like to try to adapt it into my swap. The custer I'm looking at is the new 08+ Silverado cluster. Is there a way to adapt the new silverado cluster to say a camaro or GTO BCM?

Steve

Anyone ever done anything like this? i think the aftermarket gauges are nice, but I just like the look, functionality, and price of the stock silverado cluster.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

hoping someone has done/though of this...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not use a truck BCM and computer.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bo185
Why not use a truck BCM and computer.
Please excuse me if this is a newbie question. If I were to pickup a GTO LS2 T56 engine harness and computer would that work with a truck BCM? I'm not too sure on how the two interact with eachother. Could I get a truck Computer and have it run the LS2 with no problems? I'd originally planned on using just about every component from the donor car so I wouldn't have to worry about incompatabilities...

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is a BCM?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please excuse me if this is a newbie question. If I were to pickup a GTO LS2 T56 engine harness and computer would that work with a truck BCM? I'm not too sure on how the two interact with eachother. Could I get a truck Computer and have it run the LS2 with no problems? I'd originally planned on using just about every component from the donor car so I wouldn't have to worry about incompatabilities...

Thanks
Steve
A truck harness and ECM will work with the LS2 might have to mod somethings for it to work.

Just find a 07-up GMT-900 truck (newest body style) and you have everything. Might as well use the ACM (air condition model as well).
Old 07-26-2009, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

A truck harness and ECM will work with the LS2 might have to mod somethings for it to work.

Just find a 07-up GMT-900 truck (newest body style) and you have everything. Might as well use the ACM (air condition model as well).
I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm fairly sure I'll be looking for an 05-06 GTO M6 or even a new Camaro if they are cheap enough... I'm planning on using most every part from the GTO to keep the swap costs down (fuel system, engine, tranny, Front calipers, rear calipers, BCM (for the power front windows, and the transponder key) I'd like the possibility of swapping over to the GTO tilt column, HVAC, Radiator, condensor, pedals ect... The only thing I really don't like is the gauge cluster. I do however really like the silverado cluster, and am curious if anyone has had any experience with swapping clusters. it might get a little spendy picking up a whole nother vehicle just for the gauge cluster.

Anyone have any experience with using a cluster from one vehicle that uses an LS based engine to another? using the BCM from the original/donor car? and have everything work?

Steve
Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chris10an
what is a bcm?
bcm = body control module
Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

OK, so the hole idea is to use the ECU,BCM,TAC from a truck? it should go, Problems, yes.
To use it on a LS2 should not be any problems, its basic the same engine *** a LM or LQ series. You must change the oil pres sens with a truck style. You must use the xlink to convert to the 90MM Gm throttle body, or change to a 85 mm electric throttleB for truck. But this is the smallest job..
All the wiring in the doors, mirrors, inside mirror etc etc.. and what about all the error codes it Will throw out on the BCM. What program do you use to edit that?

Last edited by Chris10an; 07-29-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: wron spelling
Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing I really don't like is the gauge cluster. I do however really like the silverado cluster, and am curious if anyone has had any experience with swapping clusters. it might get a little spendy picking up a whole nother vehicle just for the gauge cluster.

Anyone have any experience with using a cluster from one vehicle that uses an LS based engine to another? using the BCM from the original/donor car? and have everything work?

Steve
What don't you like about the GTO cluster? The layout or style of the overlay . I am sure you could get a custom overlay for it. To change the style.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

What don't you like about the GTO cluster? The layout or style of the overlay . I am sure you could get a custom overlay for it. To change the style.
It's not a bad design, It's more like the newer silverado clusters are similar in look and layout to the 70-72 Supersport dashes (except two large gauges, instead of three...) This car will be more of a resto-mod. I'm building it with my kids, my dad, and my father in law. I want it to have classic style, but modern reliability. I like my stuff to be unique.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Check this out, a bit more $$$ but

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...t=41543&page=6
Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71 chevelle
I followed that build, and was really impressed and inspired by that build. It gave me a lot of really good ideas. But in my opinion, you just can't beat the look of most newer OEM gauge clusters, everything is integrated, lighting is better, and very reliable.

Here's the SS Chevelle dash.

And here's the silverado cluster

Just like the style. I think with a nice dash built around the silverado cluster, it'd just look sharp and like it was supposed to be in there. it's got the 4 smaller gauges pods just like the original (yes I know that the lower left was originally the headlight switch, I am planning on running the GTO column, and headlight switch)

Steve

Last edited by Deserttaco; 08-06-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: swapping gauge clusters with LSX swap