Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time at the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First time at the track

I'm taking my car to the track next week for the first time with the set up in my sig. My questions are, how much air pressure in the tires (MT et street radials 275-40-17), how many rpm's do I leave at, and do I do a burn out in 1st or 2nd gear? I took it to the track when it was bone stock and my best was 13.5 @ 104. with a 2.20 60ft. I couldn't get out of the hole at all. Now that should be solved. What times can I expect now? I'm guessing around 12.5, what do you all think?

thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for tire pressure start at 20psi then you can work down to 18 or 15psi. The M/Ts are sticky but you really have to heat them up. Drive around the water box (if you have street tires in the front they will hold water in the threads) then back into it so your rear tires are in the water. Chirp the tires real quick in the water so the whole tire will get wet. Pull out of the water box and do a heel to toe burnout (unless you have a line lock) Dump the clutch in second gear at around 4 or 5000rpm and hold the burnout for a 10-20 seconds then get off the brake and keep spinning towards the line (you dont want to stop your burnout in the same place you started because the tires are gunna be sticky and will pick up all the **** and rubber you just burnt off) Now for the launch if you have the stock 10 bolt if you dump the clutch at 5k and the tires are sticky odds are its not gunna end well. If i were you i would try slipping the clutch out at around 3000 rpm and if that dont work try different rps.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mormjatt
for tire pressure start at 20psi then you can work down to 18 or 15psi. The M/Ts are sticky but you really have to heat them up. Drive around the water box (if you have street tires in the front they will hold water in the threads) then back into it so your rear tires are in the water. Chirp the tires real quick in the water so the whole tire will get wet. Pull out of the water box and do a heel to toe burnout (unless you have a line lock) Dump the clutch in second gear at around 4 or 5000rpm and hold the burnout for a 10-20 seconds then get off the brake and keep spinning towards the line (you dont want to stop your burnout in the same place you started because the tires are gunna be sticky and will pick up all the **** and rubber you just burnt off) Now for the launch if you have the stock 10 bolt if you dump the clutch at 5k and the tires are sticky odds are its not gunna end well. If i were you i would try slipping the clutch out at around 3000 rpm and if that dont work try different rps.
good info
Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

edit:

I didn't see that you went 13.5 before your sig. I thought all you changed was the tires.

That being said, I would think mid 12s is attainable with a 1.7ish 60. If not a little quicker.

Last edited by b00sted; 07-25-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perfect info right here!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Teching In

please update with your track results after you race... i think mid to high 12s
Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

I got a 9" w/3.89 gears so hopefully I won't break anything. good information, thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'm going to Gateway in St. Louis tomorrow evening (Tuesday). I'm thinking I'll try dumping the clutch at 4000rpm's and hope it hooks good. I'll give a report wednesday morning.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

When My car was stockish with 3.42's (12 bolt), it was making 326 rwhp and on a M/T 255/40-16 (me thinks) it bogged no matter how high of an RPM of the launch, that was with a good line lock burn out.

I had 4.10's swapped in and the car went from night to day. It made a great deal of difference.

Has the car been dynoed?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
When My car was stockish with 3.42's (12 bolt), it was making 326 rwhp and on a M/T 255/40-16 (me thinks) it bogged no matter how high of an RPM of the launch, that was with a good line lock burn out.

I had 4.10's swapped in and the car went from night to day. It made a great deal of difference.

Has the car been dynoed?
My dyno numbers are in my sig. 355/365. I don't have a line lock, I'll have to touch the brakes a bit to hold it. I have 3.89's so I don't think it will bog. If it does I'll try putting more air in the M/T's. I think I will start with about 22 psi.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by FST SS
My dyno numbers are in my sig. 355/365. I don't have a line lock, I'll have to touch the brakes a bit to hold it. I have 3.89's so I don't think it will bog. If it does I'll try putting more air in the M/T's. I think I will start with about 22 psi.

Thanks
NP, you just want as much air as you can get into it w/o having issues of spinning. The more air = better mph down the back half. With a M6 car, a Line lock was required and when I had my LT1 383, my car needed A LOT of water so it could get the tires going.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Well it rained last night so the track was a no go. tuesday nights are test and tune so hopefully next week......