Sponsored by:

questions about 383/396 ls1 *help*

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Where our street cars are faster than your racecars..Mississippi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about 383/396 ls1 *help*

this will be in a 2ng gen s10 regular cab with a TH350 and 1 7/8 long tubes and will be ran on the street way more than the track and i plan on spraying 150-225 shot and this will be more of a weekend toy than a DD

ok here are the questions:

1) which one would you recommend over the other 383 or 396?

2) who has the best stroker kit?

3) will my heads work? they are PRC 2.5 from tsp

4) will my cam work? it is a MS3

5) i have a ls6 intake do i need a fast? if so what size??

6) what would the estimated power be with a 383 setup with my heads/cam?

7) what would the estimated power be with a 396 setup with my heads/cam?

thank you for your time i will consider every bit of help i can get
Old 07-27-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

trying to order parts monday anything would be appreciated
Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the fast response time
Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am i no way an engine builder but i do like to help out, so please dont take my opinions as gospel.

Originally Posted by denali_on_26's
this will be in a 2ng gen s10 regular cab with a TH350 and 1 7/8 long tubes and will be ran on the street way more than the track and i plan on spraying 150-225 shot and this will be more of a weekend toy than a DD

ok here are the questions:

1) which one would you recommend over the other 383 or 396?

A) 396 would probably be better for a N/A build, but with a big shot of nitrous most people will say that it isnt good to have the piston travel that far down the bore with the cylinder pressure created by a big shot of nitrous. That being said there are plenty of people that do it, so that would be up to you and if you do make sure you use quality parts.

2) who has the best stroker kit?

A) Depends how much you want to spend. Eagle and scat both make a good stroker kit that alot of people use. Callies has a real good reputation and alot of hardcore races use there parts along with Lunati. If you have alot of money you can look into Billet rods and stuff like that but that would be overkill for a street car. I think eagle and scat would be good for street use and would save a couple dollars over a Callie or Lunati kit but for a nitrous 396 you might want to get the higher price kit.

3) will my heads work? they are PRC 2.5 from tsp

A) I'm not really sure about this one. Are they 5.3 2.5 heads or 243 2.5's. I mean yes they will work, but yes you will lose some peak upper rpm power versus a set of TFS or AFR heads. If you have 243's they flow better than 5.3's so they will work better than 5.3's as far as what works check the dyno section.

4) will my cam work? it is a MS3

A) The MS3 was designed to be a cam only monster in a 346, but since it is a such a big cam it should work ok on a 383 or 396, but the best thing to do is get a custom spec'd cam from Patrick G or Pred Z.

5) i have a ls6 intake do i need a fast? if so what size??

A) LS6 will also work but if you want big peak power a Fast 92/92 or a ported fast will be better depending on your budget.

6) what would the estimated power be with a 383 setup with my heads/cam?

A) Check dyno section for a similar setup but if i had to guess i would say 480-500 RWHP

7) what would the estimated power be with a 396 setup with my heads/cam?

A) You'll probably pick up some torque and a little more HP than with the 383

thank you for your time i will consider every bit of help i can get
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well how about you give us more details on what you want, such as HP or ET goal your trying to reach.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our stroker kits are very competitively priced. A far as whats better we like to stick to the 4" stroke when using a power add with these engines. It's not to say it can't be done with a longer stroke, its just not our preference.
We use Wiseco pistons 99.9% of the time as well in all our combinations. Yes your heads and cam will work.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

my goals are
mid 10's on motor
mid 9's on no more than a 200 hit

it will be in a s10 that weights arouln 3000-3100lbs with me in it and will have a th350/pg
is it possible with this setup???
Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say its possible.

Your going to want to make a little more than 500HP at the crank to get it into the mid 10's I would say...around 525.

What heads are you referring to? Are they 5.3's or LS6's?

To REALLY make it run good, I would say get a set of TFS 215's for that bird. You could even sell the heads you have now on here to recoop some money if need be.

Also, are you looking to stay fuel injected or go carbed? The newest Hot Rod mag dyno'd 4 different Comp Cams and the carbed motor with the single plane intake made more power than the LS6 that they used for fuel injection. If your staying FI, then a 90 or 92 mm intake or having TPIS cut up your LS6 intake to make it a 90mm is probably the way to go to let it breath.

I would also use the 350 over the glide. I think it will be way more fun to drive on the street with the 3 speed over the glide...my opinion. Plus, its way more fun to race...see my sig.

As far as stroker kits, I would say the best quality is Lunati and Callies. That other **** is cast in CHINA and sent here to be machined. I actually think my machine shop guy said that scat recently started casting their **** over here, but im not 100% on that and have nothing to back it up. Just make sure its forged and you use good rod bolts, rings and bearings, get a good balance job on it and rock on.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, what are you doing for the rear suspension setup?

If your staying with leafs, are you gonna add caltrac bars? Ive read and seen that they work really good.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
I would say its possible.

Your going to want to make a little more than 500HP at the crank to get it into the mid 10's I would say...around 525.

What heads are you referring to? Are they 5.3's or LS6's?

To REALLY make it run good, I would say get a set of TFS 215's for that bird. You could even sell the heads you have now on here to recoop some money if need be.

Also, are you looking to stay fuel injected or go carbed? The newest Hot Rod mag dyno'd 4 different Comp Cams and the carbed motor with the single plane intake made more power than the LS6 that they used for fuel injection. If your staying FI, then a 90 or 92 mm intake or having TPIS cut up your LS6 intake to make it a 90mm is probably the way to go to let it breath.

I would also use the 350 over the glide. I think it will be way more fun to drive on the street with the 3 speed over the glide...my opinion. Plus, its way more fun to race...see my sig.

As far as stroker kits, I would say the best quality is Lunati and Callies. That other **** is cast in CHINA and sent here to be machined. I actually think my machine shop guy said that scat recently started casting their **** over here, but im not 100% on that and have nothing to back it up. Just make sure its forged and you use good rod bolts, rings and bearings, get a good balance job on it and rock on.
Where is Lunati cast?..LOL

Whats the budget is the question. We have Callies/Compstar customers and Scat and Eagle customers as well as Oliver customers. It comes down to budget and application. Then its up to the builder to put it together correctly and the tuner to not blow it up
Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Where is Lunati cast?..LOL

Whats the budget is the question. We have Callies/Compstar customers and Scat and Eagle customers as well as Oliver customers. It comes down to budget and application. Then its up to the builder to put it together correctly and the tuner to not blow it up
I'm running the Eagle stroker kit...4.00" forged crank,H-beam rods,JE -2 pistons.and L19 rod bolts. The engine makes 605/589 on a mild nitrous hit and I know the bottom end can handle a lot more than that. I will most likely put the 250 shot jets in this fall and will have complete confidence that the Eagle kit can (will) perform.
-
Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Our stroker kits are very competitively priced. A far as whats better we like to stick to the 4" stroke when using a power add with these engines. It's not to say it can't be done with a longer stroke, its just not our preference.
We use Wiseco pistons 99.9% of the time as well in all our combinations. Yes your heads and cam will work.
just for clarification for the op and me. Is it that the 396 would take the piston to far out of the bottom of the cyclinder with nitrous or is there another reason not to use a power adder on a 396.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have the 5.3 heads and will stay FI....

now a new question also
76mm turbo or 200 shot of gas

whats gonna be faster??

Quick Reply: questions about 383/396 ls1 *help*