Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here get rid of Borla for something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone here get rid of Borla for something else?

And not regretted it? I like the ability to change the sound from time to time, I should just get a McCord plate. I guess with a catted y, I can only expect so good of a sound. I've been told the SLP dual/dual is the way, but they're extinct. Hookers' rust and don't fit great, didn't care for the Magnaflow with standard tailpipes. I want something that makes power, isn't annoying to my neighbors, but sounds great. I guess I'm crazy.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to have a BORLA on my SS but I hated it. When I got a different head/cam package(went from TPIS to Agostino Racing Engines) I replaced the Borla with a SLP Loudmouth 1 and I put the Borla on my stock Z28. Unfortunetly without cats the Loudmouth 1 sounds like ****! I took my car to the track with slicks my first time out. I launched at 6000 rpm and broke the y-pipe from the twisting of the motor(damn factory rubber mounts! ) ; so, I just took the Loudmouth off and I am just running a y-pipe till I can decide on what exhaust to get myself. I am on the ropes with: custom true-duals, Hooker, MUFFLEX and SLP DD. I think I may go for a used SLP DD and just put a power cutout on.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

i love my Hooker, i've had mine for 3 years with no rust and it fits great and sounds really good. i used to have a corsa catback but it was WAY too loud! and i agree with the loudmouth 1, used to run that as well and it sounded like a dump truck
Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

There is a SLP dual/dual system in the parts classifieds right now for $120.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Borla w/ARH lt's and catted y and it sounds great. I have the baffle out of the Borla and it is really just a long cut-out. Not really loud until WOT.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you like the sound of magnaflow but not the tips, just buy some corsa clones t stick on the end.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got rid of my stock exhaust manifolds catted borla for longtubes no cats and true duals out the back with 2 bullet magnaflows and I couldn't be happier and won't change anytime soon
Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

True duals IMO are the only way to make these cars sound good.. I think a three inch system with an h pipe with your muffler of choice will make you happy
Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FST SS
I have Borla w/ARH lt's and catted y and it sounds great. I have the baffle out of the Borla and it is really just a long cut-out. Not really loud until WOT.
same set-up and love it
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the hits. I just wish the SLP had nicer tips. I didn't care for the sound of the Magnaflow, but like the new quad tips. I have two Borla plates I made and drilled 4 or 5 holes in one and just one hole in the other for quiet mode. McCord still makes a electric cutout that's reasonable. That would eliminate me laying under there and constantly changing my plates.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

borla=worst sounding exhaust for these cars IMO...i got rid of mine of my first car for the TSP rumbler cat-back

IMO though the best sounds exhaust is True duals...but if you have to have a cat back/Y setup go with GMMG
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem with true duals is they are REALLY LOUD! I have yet to hear s TD setup that is not roaring loud. For a daily driver I hvaen't been able to find mufflers that will quiet the exhaust down to a decent catback sound level AND retain good ground clearance. Really the only muffler you can use is a bullet type and those are all loud. I would like to be able to drive my car to work and there is no way I am starting my H/C SS with longtubes and no cats at 5:30am with true duals and bullet mufflers; its just too loud. Now I have seen several guys use a full case size muffler all the way in the back on their TD exhaust. The pics I saw had a mufler on each tailpipe right behind the tips but you could see the muffler and it looked crappy; besides, a few of the cars had to modify the t-top boot area and the spare tire well to fit the mufflers.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

I also have seen the true duals with those bullet mufflers under the bumper and thought they looked like crap, ie ricer almost.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

on LT1 the BOLRA OWNZ them all I think.... it just awesome!
Old 07-29-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99monguse
The problem with true duals is they are REALLY LOUD! I have yet to hear s TD setup that is not roaring loud. For a daily driver I hvaen't been able to find mufflers that will quiet the exhaust down to a decent catback sound level AND retain good ground clearance. Really the only muffler you can use is a bullet type and those are all loud. I would like to be able to drive my car to work and there is no way I am starting my H/C SS with longtubes and no cats at 5:30am with true duals and bullet mufflers; its just too loud. Now I have seen several guys use a full case size muffler all the way in the back on their TD exhaust. The pics I saw had a mufler on each tailpipe right behind the tips but you could see the muffler and it looked crappy; besides, a few of the cars had to modify the t-top boot area and the spare tire well to fit the mufflers.
My true duals aren't really that loud IMO. To some they could be but where I live (south) there are alot of trucks that are way louder and more annoying than my car. I have an H-pipe and that does quiet it down some. I have bullet magnaflows a foot and a half before the tips. For a lil perspective on them cold mornings I crank my car up it idles ~950 rpms to warm up. I open the garage door and walk inside my house into the kitchen. Its probably forty feet away and one wall and I can't hear it. Cruising around town I can't here it at all with my windows up and the radio at a comfortable volume. BUT if I decide to go WOT OMG the LS1 gods come to life and its pure sex.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It really depends how loud you want your car. I switched from the adjustable borla with a wide open plate to our true dual setup and couldn't be happier. IMO the volume is the same, just different tones. Keep in mind the true duals dump before the rear axle so they have more in car noise, but outside the car is relatively the same. The borla with an off road y-pipe gives rasp and higher pitched tone, the true duals with a dynomax bullet muffler will give you little to no rasp with a very low bass tone. I personally prefer the lower bass tone from my car to the higher poppy sound you hear from borla and corsa set ups.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep the Borla closed up (long tubes, off road Y, big cam) and put a DMH cutout in the I pipe. The set up is pretty quiet closed up, hit the switch and all hell breaks loose when I wanna make noise. I'm liking this for now.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think duals with spiral flows or something along those lines with some cats wouldnt be loud at all
Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

I just have to have good looking tailpipes with a TA. I think it helps complete the rear end. I agree, on a LT1, Borla owns. I have QTP's, Magnaflow metallic core cats in a 3" custom Y. I think I may just be getting old and driving this thing every day wears on me.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Is anybody running Loudmouth 2?