Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Monster Clutch Level 2.5 with Lightweight Flywheel: Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Clutch Level 2.5 with Lightweight Flywheel: Review

1500 miles ago I had SNL Performance install a Monster Clutch Level 2.5 Premium package with the lightweight chromoly flywheel. The difference between the Level 2.5 and 2 is that the 2.5 has a hybrid organic layer on the flywheel side that makes for smoother engagement and a ceramic button on the pressure plate side that increases the torque capabilities. I could not be happier! It seems that after 40k miles my stock clutch was on its last legs.

The install went seamless. I dropped my car off Monday morning and it was ready later that day. They use their own version of a modified C6 slave cylinder (for those who were going to ask). The Level 2.5 is rated to hold 525rwhp. I'm at 375rwhp/368rwtq right now, but my future mods will include; a nice size cam, ported heads, ported TB, and a ported/replacement intake manifold. Enough to easily get me to 425rwhp. But, there is a chance that down the road I may throw on a small dry shot so I wanted to make sure my clutch would hold.

In the break in period I did notice some chatter when starting in first. I wasn't too worried about it because this is a heavy duty clutch, I don't expect it to be as smooth when starting. Now that I'm at 1500 mile I rarely get chatter and the more I beat on the clutch the better it feels. My fiance even made the comment that the car is smoother now when shifting between the gears. That's a lot coming from a woman that despises my car!

The 15lb chromoly flywheel that came with the package is AMAZING! My car feels like it gained 50rwhp from it. It revs up so quickly. 1st and 2nd gears fly by now. It is a bit easier to kill the car with the lightweight flywheel, but nothing a few blips of the throttle won't cure. I am so glads I went with the lightweight flywheel.

Overall I am very pleased. I would recommend Monster Clutches to anyone. Their customer service was great as well. They are a great group of guys to work with. If anyone in the DFW area wants to drive my car to see how the clutch and flywheel feel just let me know.

Here is the link to their LSx clutches... http://www.monsterclutches.com/gm.html
Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Never heard of them but sound like a good company. Thanks for the write-up, let us know how that setup holds up over time. Any track or dyno #s with the new flywheel?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmaro00
Never heard of them but sound like a good company. Thanks for the write-up, let us know how that setup holds up over time. Any track or dyno #s with the new flywheel?
374rwhp/368rwtq. It went up from 363rwhp/361rwtq. My a/f was better this run so I'm not sure which helped more. My numbers are definitely higher.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They use their own version of a modified C6 slave cylinder (for those who were going to ask).

^how/what is modified???^
Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whisler151
My fiance even made the comment that the car is smoother now when shifting between the gears. That's a lot coming from a woman that despises my car!
Despises your car! Don't get married to that one man... trade her in!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
They use their own version of a modified C6 slave cylinder (for those who were going to ask).

^how/what is modified???^
Not sure, I'll ask them. I think it's their own design.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you manage to find any info on the slave yet?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Launching!

whats the overal cost of this set up.(not installed)
Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

good question..
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BOATDOCTOR
whats the overal cost of this set up.(not installed)
I would like to know the installed price! SNL is a good shop. I had some dealings with Phoenix(tuner) on a long strip of road a few months back!

Whisler do you plan on getting your cam from SNL also?

Quick Reply: Monster Clutch Level 2.5 with Lightweight Flywheel: Review