Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions wanted on project

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions wanted on project

I have decided I wanted to do my 1998 Trans Am in a kind of retro style. I am thinking of patterning the car along the lines of a 70-73 Trans Am/Super Duty

In the short term I am looking at small appearance items as money allows.

INTERIOR
I wanted to swap out my airbag steering wheel for something similar to this:
http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/00/e9/b4/ad_1.JPG

which is real close to the T/A's wheel but it is more modern and brushed instead of black. I don't really car for the holes in the spokes though.

I plan on replaced some of the plastic bezels with aluminum and engine turning them

I want to replace the A4 console w/ the 6-speed and use a hurst t-style shifter (haven't figured a good way to do this yet)

Have the vents made of AL (farm this out)

Door pulls made of AL slightly reshaped and recontoured (I can do this on a mill)

Switch to white faced gauges removing RPMX1000 and replacing with SD400 or Phoenix and if possible going with a 200mph speedo (I just like it) Also removing yellow lines and bumping redline to 6500

possibly gauges in place of two vents in center or a-pillar : undecided on this

Get the interior reupholstered with some SD400 embroidery. Nothing overboard a few things here and there

EXTERIOR
Paint the car LuCerne Blue with a white stripe and black stripe outline
Wondering what you guys think about doing a firebird at the leading edge. I can't think of a good place to put it.My current ideas are on the nostril area or on the hood.

I am planning on making a shaker hood from a base T/A hood not the RA model. I can do this with glass. I just don't see a way to make it really functional.Is it bad in your opinions if it's just for looks?
I figured I could at least hide some solenoids under it or something. If neccessary I can do some convoluted set-up into the airbox but I don't see any HP coming from it.

TTII's tentatively cause they look fantastic and they are classic.

I actually want something along the lines of new Mustang MACH1 wheel with a polished face and black sides of spokes with a red center. Similar to the 70 rallye wheels in 18in. Problem here being that woudl have to be custom and I don't even know where I could have them made let alone how I woudl pay for them

Removing outside molding and filling PONTIAC in the rear and Trans Am on the sides and going with a set-up that matches the font I will be using on the gauges and embroidery.

ENGINE
Iron block 40X

Making power in the 3000-6000 range

N2O direct port or a hidden set-up based off the 5177

Want to get into the 11's on DR's

Braided stainless lines

Weiand intake if it's going to be visible to make it look a little old-school
Coil relocation.Or LS6/FAST intake :Undecided.

Self-Made AL airlid with SD-400 and/or some old pontiac emissions and displacement stickers and **** like that

I want it to look like a early 70's TA would have had some guy bought it and done some mods to it. Not a strict factory look.

Ummm have other idea's now but this is getting pretty long winded. I think you guys get the general idea. If you wouldn't mind letting me know what you think. Where I should start,what will and will nto work in your opinion and why I woudl appreciate it.

If anyone cares to would you mind doing a photochop of what I have described?I just don't have the skills to do this kind of stuff anywhere but my imagination

This will probably take about 5 years total to come together but I need a solid plan to start working off of so I can get things moving now.

thank you in advance,
Chad
Old 11-19-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like it. I always loved the 70-73. I think you have a good plan so far and as it goes more things will come into focus. One idea about the stripe. Wasn't it white with a dark blue edge? I would run the stripe down the hood and onto the inlet on the bumper to match the contour. This way you could paint the bird on the plate, maybee white and outline it with dark blue. This way it will tie in the two. I don't like seeing too many birds in one area imo. What about a base/Formula style rear bumperWith some nice long 3, 3.5 tailpipes? The interior sounds good. GM did a car that was kinda retro like that. It had a custom nose, spoiler, and airdams on the wheelwells. Try to find pics of it that will help. Don't worry too much your on the right track, your gonna have a bad a$$ ride when it's done

One request, could you do it sooner I wanna see pics of this thing. I'm droolin just thinking about it.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

http://images.ofoto.com/photos506/1/...1103_0_ALB.jpg

Here are some images I have been looking at for idea's.

I don't really care for some of the front end work they did on the concept car.I like where they have the bird but they eliminated the nostrils to do that. I think the hood is sweet but I want to keep the front end I have now with the nostrils and what not. I figure with an aftermarket repop of a stock TA hood in glass I can cannibalize a 70's shaker and integrate it into the new hood. Making small changes to the shaker to help it follow the body lines better.

I had not thought about the stripe going all the way down to the license plate area. That sounds promising. I wish I could see a picture of that.

I'm with you on over logoing areas. Right now I run a license plate in front. I might have to make a blank for the license plate cover to keep the bird count down.

What do you think of removing the existing side vents that are down near the wheels and using older vents that mount high on the fenders?

Last edited by lerajie; 11-20-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

all I see are red X's
the host might not allow others to view them ???
Old 11-20-2003, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

wow that is so not cool... I think your right. I'll try to fix it.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You can view the pictures if you copy their address into a new window. Ofoto doesn't like people linking to their images. Maybe you should just privide links.

--VIP1
Old 11-20-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

edited pics to links. hope that works for you guys.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the idea of engine turned dash pieces. I've looked into this myself, but haven't found any over the counter parts that are available. There are several shops that specialize in engine turning that can be found on the web.

Please let us know how these can be done.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I decided to go ahead with what I can for now.
MBA just replied and said they can do custom engraving on the parts I want engraved differently but they don't make a Aluminum bezel for the 98 T/A. Anyone know where I could get one?

Also: ANy opinions on the color of the shift ****? The aluminum in the interior will be aluminum finish should I keep the **** that way or get a blue one? I'm leaning toward aluminum finish but it will be hard to see the engraving

opinions appreciated

ZigZagZ: Last time I checked Eastwood sold an engine turning KIT. They are a sponsor as well. Check the icons on the right side of the screen.I have a way I do this myself. If you have problems PM me.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

I think you have an awesome idea going. I have a lot of respect for people
who are willing to go out on a limb and try something new. You never know until
your try. My uncle has a 72 SD sitting in his garage with the motor out of it just waiting
to be installed. It's been sitting for at least 10 years in his garage. I can't wait till
he finally gives in and lets me help him put it all back togeather again. Maybe one
day he will let me buy it off of him and completly restore it.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the encouragement! I was wondering what people would think of the whole idea.

Unfortunately it's nto anything that is going to be done soon due to funds and lack of time.

I am worrying about small things right now like getting the interior set-up properly
and getting the logo worked out.

Got any pictures of the '72? I'd love to see any you might have.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:59 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

For the shift ****, you could leave it aluminum and have the engraving polished or painted to stand out more.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z98
For the shift ****, you could leave it aluminum and have the engraving polished or painted to stand out more.

That's a great idea. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey man ive got a shaker hood scoop just kicking around in my gradge. if you want it let me know.
i think you need to get a wrap around airfoil the one that goes across the back deck and wraps around the back edge of the rear quorterpannels.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, I am interested in the Shaker I'll PM you.

Also, What do you guys think for the shifter : Pontiac Crest or Phoenix?

Last edited by lerajie; 11-24-2003 at 04:57 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 11-24-2003, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

After fiddling with the mess that is MBA's website. I ordered the Phoenix engraved shift ****.

Last edited by lerajie; 11-24-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok..so you have $45 of the $30k project out of the way. congrats.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

heheh mc tullis so true so very true. yeah man you made the right choice on the phoenix
Old 11-24-2003, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by McTullis
ok..so you have $45 of the $30k project out of the way. congrats.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry after reading that

Yeah, I know it's going to be costly.Just about everything is. I think $30,000 including the cost of the vehicle sounds about right so far.I can do alot of things on my own and I know alot of people that can help with other parts.I'll know for sure near the end when the nickel and diming starts.

I have alotted myself several years to complete the project.So barring some catastrophe it should come in on or ahead of schedule.Now in the planning stage is when you make or break yourself I figure. Good solid planning can save alot of money and time in the long run.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Theres a company that makes an adapter so you can run a manual shift **** on your auto.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on project