Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Dilema* is it worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Dilema* is it worth it??

MODS in SIG.

right now I have pacesetter long tubes and a borla catback. I like the borla a lot, but the bad rasp crackle can get annoying.

Is it worth switching to a true dual set up with the new H/C for power reasons?

Also my car is DD and I can't handle drone. Right now there is absolutely no drone. By switching to lets say a TSP dumps set up am I guaranteeing myself getting some drone?

What exhaust are you running on your street driven H/C set up?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL

If you don't want drone, you're WAAAAAY off the reservation with the consideration of true duals. If you think your Borla is loud, think about 2x that for interior noise. That'd be true duals for you.

Look into the Hooker Catback, or SLP dual/dual catback. Both of those flow great, and are fairly quiet around town. Sound great too.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL

If you don't want drone, you're WAAAAAY off the reservation with the consideration of true duals. If you think your Borla is loud, think about 2x that for interior noise. That'd be true duals for you.

Look into the Hooker Catback, or SLP dual/dual catback. Both of those flow great, and are fairly quiet around town. Sound great too.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Damian
LOL

I have been in a few cars with true duals and the drone was not bad. I know it won't be as quiet as a cat back.

Is there a muffler some people use with duals to bring drone to a minimum? I was thinking about flowmaster single chambers.

I'm not planning on switching for another catback. Either duals or don't change.

Appreciate the input
Old 08-01-2009, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ I know from experience that one chamber flows won't be good for that at all the drone and rasp. I heard it all the time when I had a true dual system on my T/A. I heard some people say they like the sweet thunder mufflers though but I don't know how they sound on the inside.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you still using a Pacesetter Y-pipe? From what I've read/heard, a new merge can help solve the rasp problems.

I am installing a flowmaster merge collector on my car...
Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i had my tds i had cats and sweet thunder mufflers, there was no drone and it was not loud at all. depends on what setup you go with.

just an fyi i just switched back to ypipe and catback
Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Hooker max-flow mufflers not only offer great gains but they are quiet untilyou get on them, not a whole lot of drone either,if any but the only thing is getting them to fit since they are only offered in a case-type design, I'd def look into these..I have em on my TBSS and it sounds good...deep too!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FNQUIK
Hooker max-flow mufflers not only offer great gains but they are quiet untilyou get on them, not a whole lot of drone either,if any but the only thing is getting them to fit since they are only offered in a case-type design, I'd def look into these..I have em on my TBSS and it sounds good...deep too!

The Hooker aerochamber will fit.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

I'm really leaning towards running some dumps with single chamber flowmasters. They just sound awesome. I'll have to put up with some more interior noise to get the sound I'm looking for.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheLSgun
I'm really leaning towards running some dumps with single chamber flowmasters. They just sound awesome. I'll have to put up with some more interior noise to get the sound I'm looking for.
will be loud as hell. HAd TD'S out the back and switched to my current set up in sig. Loud inside and out as well as massive fume from raw fuel due to no cats. Minimal <5 power loss with the switch(dyno proven)and the car is much more enjoyable to drive now. Good luck.