Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

maiden voyage tonight at the track with my aps kit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maiden voyage tonight at the track with my aps kit...

like i said before..... it is a bone stock LS1 with aps twins at 8lbs of boost....
good fuel pump and 60 # injectors...... it made 465 to the wheels on 10deg. of timing in 112 deg. weather....... it was hot as hell tonight too....
i foot braked it to 1500 rpm and then launched it....so basically idle...lol
went 11.80 at 119 with a 1.85 60ft. ........ second pass i got it to spool on
launch and it smoked my nitto drag radials through first and all of second....
i was sideways half way down the track and went 12.7 at 116.... 2.21 60ft.
trans is a th350 with a vig 3000 converter with 3.42 gears...... went through the traps at 6100 rpm.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to have to get something better than Nittos to get down the track. I'm in the same boat, I'm waiting on some Bogarts that I can put my 275/60/15 Mickey's on.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you had some fun..scary fun but fun. A new z06 went sideways at our track a few weeks back.Pretty much totalled it ,it hit the wall and just missed being t boned but the car in the other lane.Not a good night for that guy.Think he had nitto 05 and track was unprepped I think they don't prep every time just sometimes.

I have not tracked my 99 yet but did a launch at 4000 yesterday just on the street.I have nitto drag radials. Being a six speedl I doubt built any boost. Car easily broke the nittos free and they spun all the way thru first ,car stayed fairly straight but was fishtailing pretty much the whole way thru first and those nittos never stopped spinnning. It was fun but of course if your spinning your not winning .

I was just at stock aps boost but of course being a built 408 lots of torque and hp there. I had timing very low like 12 degrees just running 94 octane no alc/meth.

So learned that the nittos are pretty much useless thru first and second. I have a set of et street radials in garage that buddy left there for me to try out and will give them a try shortly.

I bought new street tires for daily driving to replace the quickly aging nittos and of course realize they are not going to hook in those lower gears but they are much better in rain ,quiet ,better ride etc. Then have second set of et street radials or m and h street radials mounted up for when want to seriously play or when go to track.

I have quite a bit of suspension stuff ,still have to install adjustable torque arm. I have lower control arms and lower control arm brackets, adjustable shocks.

I have a few ideas that want to try out as well. Ramping in boost with my eboost 2 is one thing and possibly buying a variable high end traction control made by racelogic.
My car has no factory traction control ,factory traction control not being very variable would not work that great anyway. Still wish had it for option in bad weather.

How were your car temps doing at the track? I was seeing 220 yesterday just driving it hard for awhile and temps were only around mid to high 80s. Usually they have stayed around 200 .I have redline water wetter with 50/50 antifreeze. I was seeing 220 yesterday. I was not running air. I had one overheat when was running air so far or close didn't actually boil out.
I plan on cooling system upgrades over the winter.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Track and the street are 2 totally different ball games. Even an unprepped track is far stickier than the best unprepped street surface as there is USUALLY no rubber on the ground. I capped USUALLY because we do have a spot on the street with lots of rubber but that is a result of lots of money worth of prep and lots of tires being burned down to cords there over the last couple of years. So you can't go by that. I do agree that the difference between the Nitto DR and the Mickey is night and day. The mickeys still wont hold the clutch drop though on the street. As far as 119 MPH goes, that's good for bottom 11's with a good tire and a properly setup suspension. Once you get some good air, you should be in the 10's with a 123 MPH.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

the only thing i have done for suspension is remove the front sway bar and have a spohn adjustable torque arm...... car never went over 210 last night...
i iced the intercooler and intake between runs... not sure i liked the 6100 rpm traps...... kinda pushing the ls1 valve springs... not sure if my converter is too loose or too tight..... so for all you th350 guys out there if you can answer this...... i was shifting at 6k.... when i shifted from 2nd to 3rd at 6 k....it only dropped to 5 k..... and then ran the whole rest of the pass in that last 1000 rpm ? i have the stick 3.42 gears in it.

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Sounds like you had some fun..scary fun but fun. A new z06 went sideways at our track a few weeks back.Pretty much totalled it ,it hit the wall and just missed being t boned but the car in the other lane.Not a good night for that guy.Think he had nitto 05 and track was unprepped I think they don't prep every time just sometimes.

I have not tracked my 99 yet but did a launch at 4000 yesterday just on the street.I have nitto drag radials. Being a six speedl I doubt built any boost. Car easily broke the nittos free and they spun all the way thru first ,car stayed fairly straight but was fishtailing pretty much the whole way thru first and those nittos never stopped spinnning. It was fun but of course if your spinning your not winning .

I was just at stock aps boost but of course being a built 408 lots of torque and hp there. I had timing very low like 12 degrees just running 94 octane no alc/meth.

So learned that the nittos are pretty much useless thru first and second. I have a set of et street radials in garage that buddy left there for me to try out and will give them a try shortly.

I bought new street tires for daily driving to replace the quickly aging nittos and of course realize they are not going to hook in those lower gears but they are much better in rain ,quiet ,better ride etc. Then have second set of et street radials or m and h street radials mounted up for when want to seriously play or when go to track.

I have quite a bit of suspension stuff ,still have to install adjustable torque arm. I have lower control arms and lower control arm brackets, adjustable shocks.

I have a few ideas that want to try out as well. Ramping in boost with my eboost 2 is one thing and possibly buying a variable high end traction control made by racelogic.
My car has no factory traction control ,factory traction control not being very variable would not work that great anyway. Still wish had it for option in bad weather.

How were your car temps doing at the track? I was seeing 220 yesterday just driving it hard for awhile and temps were only around mid to high 80s. Usually they have stayed around 200 .I have redline water wetter with 50/50 antifreeze. I was seeing 220 yesterday. I was not running air. I had one overheat when was running air so far or close didn't actually boil out.
I plan on cooling system upgrades over the winter.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

i wanna make sure the mickey et drag radials are gonna be worth the money.... don't wanna blow 300 to 400 on tires that are not gonna hook...
was thinking et streets...... any feed back on those mickey drag radials ?

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Track and the street are 2 totally different ball games. Even an unprepped track is far stickier than the best unprepped street surface as there is USUALLY no rubber on the ground. I capped USUALLY because we do have a spot on the street with lots of rubber but that is a result of lots of money worth of prep and lots of tires being burned down to cords there over the last couple of years. So you can't go by that. I do agree that the difference between the Nitto DR and the Mickey is night and day. The mickeys still wont hold the clutch drop though on the street. As far as 119 MPH goes, that's good for bottom 11's with a good tire and a properly setup suspension. Once you get some good air, you should be in the 10's with a 123 MPH.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club

i run 275/50/15 at the track and 315/35/17 on the street love them
the 275 i dont even smoke them after the frist burnout at the track i run 17psi in them and i launch at 4500rpm at 7psi on the 2-step (M6 car) with 3.42s 1.67 60 foot
the 315s on the street 20psi in them and 11psi boost at thats about 600wheel in my car

so like i said love them
Old 08-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Launching!

You in Az with that Navy blue SS? I had my Turbo car out there, I talked to you for a bit.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinbluess
i wanna make sure the mickey et drag radials are gonna be worth the money.... don't wanna blow 300 to 400 on tires that are not gonna hook...
was thinking et streets...... any feed back on those mickey drag radials ?
The drag radials are getting people down the track in as fast as 6 seconds. You just have to find out what tire pressure your car likes.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tomz28
i run 275/50/15 at the track and 315/35/17 on the street love them
the 275 i dont even smoke them after the frist burnout at the track i run 17psi in them and i launch at 4500rpm at 7psi on the 2-step (M6 car) with 3.42s 1.67 60 foot
the 315s on the street 20psi in them and 11psi boost at thats about 600wheel in my car

so like i said love them
Sorry Tom you know I have bad memory..So you run 315 /17 nittos on the street or 315 drag radials on the street?

And I disagree abit with street being worse than unprepped track. Have done some good 60fts on the street and sometimes our unprepped track is super slippery.

So wondering how good 295/17 et street radials are for track or would m and h street radials in 325/17 size be better.I don't think 315/17 will fit well on my 10.5 inch TTm wheels. Think 295 is recommended for et street radials on them and m and h 325 will fit being pretty narrow. I didn't really want to do the BFH mod.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

yup.... i was the bald guy with all the tatts.....did u have the silver cam ?

Originally Posted by projectcam
You in Az with that Navy blue SS? I had my Turbo car out there, I talked to you for a bit.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

i tried between 20 and 15 psi... no luck... the nittos wont hold boost out of the hole......grrrr.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
The drag radials are getting people down the track in as fast as 6 seconds. You just have to find out what tire pressure your car likes.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

by the way my car has the lowering springs on it and i am also
running the stock chrome 10 spoke.......... whats the biggest tire
i can fit on that rim and on the car without rubbing ?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Sorry Tom you know I have bad memory..So you run 315 /17 nittos on the street or 315 drag radials on the street?

And I disagree abit with street being worse than unprepped track. Have done some good 60fts on the street and sometimes our unprepped track is super slippery.

So wondering how good 295/17 et street radials are for track or would m and h street radials in 325/17 size be better.I don't think 315/17 will fit well on my 10.5 inch TTm wheels. Think 295 is recommended for et street radials on them and m and h 325 will fit being pretty narrow. I didn't really want to do the BFH mod.
right now im running MTs 315s ive had BFG, nittos , and now MT all 315s the nittos work good and so do the MTs. the BFGs sucked

a 315 can fit a 10.5 rim i think the cars set up has more to do with hooking up then the tire or at least 50/50
Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Check your fluid for signs of a slipping trans, but im betting the converter is not working correctly. That RPM going through the traps is a bit high, showing alot of converter slip.

Get the converter up to the task of handling the APS kit, and some good weather and I wouldnt be suprised if you get down in 11.1-11.3 range with a couple more MPH.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tomz28
right now im running MTs 315s ive had BFG, nittos , and now MT all 315s the nittos work good and so do the MTs. the BFGs sucked

a 315 can fit a 10.5 rim i think the cars set up has more to do with hooking up then the tire or at least 50/50
So what is your setup to compare..I have as you can see in sig kyb agx adjustable shocks. I have hotchkis boxed lower control arms with bmr lower control arm brackets in the middle hole.I just went back to stock springs. I have bmr adjustable torque arm but its not installed yet.Hotchkis panhard.
No front sway currently but planning to put one back on.
As said my 275 /17 nittos are pretty useless even on a 4000 launch with no two step on the still m6. I do have more gear 3.54 and do have 408 .I am only at 7.5psi. Course this is trying to launch on street not prepped track. Actually even on our local track prepped or unprepped the nittos don't hold a candle to the et street radials. Some guys are saying I need to run the et streets not the et street radials and hearing good things about the m and h street radials. I wasn't planning to run 15 inch at all just 295 /17 et street radials still not sure want to put 315/ 17 on my 10.5 rims still think mt recommened the 295 in that size and also didn't want to have to roll lip or pound on car to fit the 315s. I did think 325 m and h 17 would fit without maybe any lip work or pounding with BFH?

Also wondering how effective ramping the boost in with rpm or time would be. Would also may want to try by gear but not sure how that works with eboost2 and an auto??Anyone ramp in boost by gear with auto and eboost2.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Launching!

get some mickey thomsons, i have 315s and mine never even try to spin even with a crappy burnout ( leaving of the trans brake with about 5 psi as well) other than that you should throw some timing at it, im running 9.5 psi and 17 degrees on pump gas & meth on a bone stock long block. I would think at your boost level you should be seeing 124-5 mph
Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flyinbluess
yup.... i was the bald guy with all the tatts.....did u have the silver cam ?
Yea I have the Pewter camaro that was parked with my rx7.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

315 by what 30 or 35 ? stock 10 spoke wheel. my tuner tried 12 deg. of timing and the computer pulled out a deg. ? so it was put back to 10 deg.

Originally Posted by crf538
get some mickey thomsons, i have 315s and mine never even try to spin even with a crappy burnout ( leaving of the trans brake with about 5 psi as well) other than that you should throw some timing at it, im running 9.5 psi and 17 degrees on pump gas & meth on a bone stock long block. I would think at your boost level you should be seeing 124-5 mph
Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

ya..... i remember..... both cars were rockin..... i belive u know my tuner...nic d

Originally Posted by projectcam
Yea I have the Pewter camaro that was parked with my rx7.

Quick Reply: maiden voyage tonight at the track with my aps kit...