Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Weird tapping noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!!! Weird tapping noise.

I had a slight tapping in my car that was loudest around 1500-2000 rpms. The engine wouldn't tap until it got warmed up. I opened the hood and noticed it was only on the passenger side of the engine. I had some friends look at it and was told its probably a rocker arm. I pulled the valve covers and rocker arms. One of the push rods was bent just a bit. I got scorpion roller rockers with a 1.7 ratio. I also got the manley 7.4 long and 5/16th push rods. I installed everything, torqued it and reassembled all the parts. I started it and ran it for about five minutes. Nothing at all. I got in my car and left for my house about a mile away. Halfway there the notorious tap again. I opened the hood and listened to it. Now it seems to be a bit louder and just the same thing. 1500-2000 rpms is when it is the loudest. At idle it does not tap at all. When the rpms hit around 1250 the tap is there and fairly quiet. Over 2000 rpms i think the engine noise is drowning the tap out. Any ideas or thoughts of what it could be? I need to keep the price down because I am planning a wedding for Sep. 12. Please help me out!
I have no clue what bent the push rod. The last time I even reved it above 3000 was on the highway when I race a twin turbo hoped up diesel truck that thought he had something. I was on a long road trip from Jersey back to Ft. Campbell. That was about a months ago. About a week after I was back my oil change was due. That same week it started tapping out of the blue. I hoped that when I changed my oil that it would go away. Not so much. It did seem to get quieter with the oil change but it was still there. This is a dd car so I try not to race it or beat the ***** off of it as it is my only car! I haven't changed any of the internals on the engine up until this point with the rockers and rods.
I heard that this websit is way better than camaroz28.com and figured I would give it a try. Please help me!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

have you messed with the exhaust at all sounds like an exhaust leak to me if you did and didnt change the gaskets that could be your coulprit right there
Old 08-05-2009, 08:15 AM

I did have to take the exhaust off about a year ago to change my clutch. I used the same gasket because it was in good shape and did not crack or split. I guess I could try that. I would assume my header gasket? What type of gasket would you recommend? I heard of some pyloflo or something like that. I also heard they are the best ones to get. I have heard of tons of problems with the steel and copper ones.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 AM

Camaro-(kah-mar-oh) noun,-A small omnivorous animal who's main diet consists of mustangs, rice, and the occasional viper.
your signature is priceless!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

check both the head to exhaust mani and the manifold to cat gasket just use the gm metal gaskets as far as i can tell they are on par or superior to the others
Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Ok. I used some AMSOIL PI today. It made the tap almost disappear. Now I have to open the hood and get very close to hear it. Still think it would be the gasket?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 PM

How do I post a video on here?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 PM

This is the link to the video. I am going to get a pressure tester tomorrow and see what happens.
http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/a...90806-1713.flv
Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM

So for an update. I have done everything except take the heads off. I have used some sea foam in my oil and it has made the noise much more quiet. I am now at a loss. I think I am going to take it to a shop nearby and see what they tell me.