Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'65 Buick Special conversion- it has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '65 Buick Special conversion- it has begun!

Hello everyone- just thought I would start my newest project and share it with everyone in this section. I am reading a ton already and have gotten some great ideas and tips! THANKS!

I almost had to sell this bad boy a few months ago, but I was lucky and wound up keeping her. Anyway, not sure exatly what powertrain will go in, but I am leaning towards either a 5.3 or 6.0, EFI, and some kind of power adder. Car came with a 454 and TH400, but I didn't want that kind of stuff, so I sold it off and put the money in the car account. Haven't decided on the tranny yet either, but I am thinking that I will keep it auto for now!

For now I am removing most of the the interior and am stripping the exterior for paint. Car will be flat black with red interior- I am going to the hot rod look which should look pretty cool!

Car is backhalved and sports 33" MT Sportsmans. 12 bolt rear and ladder bars complete the rear. Should be fun!

I will add pics as I go- this definately will be a slow project but I am not worried...

Pics are attached!
Attached Thumbnails '65 Buick Special conversion- it has begun!-p1160034.jpg   '65 Buick Special conversion- it has begun!-p1160035.jpg   '65 Buick Special conversion- it has begun!-p6300169.jpg   '65 Buick Special conversion- it has begun!-p7070166.jpg   '65 Buick Special conversion- it has begun!-p6300171.jpg  

Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Nice buick... Looks like a good foundation to start with please keep us updated with the build...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

UPDATE....

Still stripping paint from the body...I have been experimenting with many different methods including paint stripper and sanding. I contacted a mobile soda blaster, but he wants $1200 for the outside of the car only...I realize it would be the fastest way to strip the car, but for $1200 I'd rather buy my own set up and have it forever!

So anyway, sanding continues for now...it is slow but effective. I use a 5" DA sander with 120 grit, then smooth with 220 grit...technically I do not have to sand all the way to bare metal, but I am curious to see how much body work was really done to this bad boy. So far I have found small amounts of filler and some touch up here and there- overall thgou the car is STRAIGHT! NICE!

Cant wait until she is STRIPPED!

Stay tuned...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Buick, gotta love the chevy power that its had and will be getting
Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Thats what Im talking about, another buick in the works..
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Erik, I just completed a carburated 6.0 LQ9 swap in my '66 Skylark. I already had a 200R4 trans in it that was in the stock location for the original ST300. Once we worked out which combination of frame & engine brackets and mounts to use, it went in pretty smoothly. I was able to use the stock '04 Escalade accessory drive with the small case alternator to fit under the hood (with a slightly clearanced hood brace). The Caddy CTSV oil pan cleared everything including the steering linkage. Tomorrow the car comes back from the exhaust shop with new down pipes. I'll do a detailed posting soon on this.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

AWESOME!!! Aceonbass, keep me posted- THANKS!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SkylarkLS1
Thats what Im talking about, another buick in the works..

Whatcha got?!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Some updates...

The build has been slow, mainly because I graduate in a week and really had to get my **** together this semester. However, in the mean time I collected parts, removed more items from the car, and bought some equipment to get the job done right.

I bought new floor pans as well as a new 6.0L iron block which will be the base of what should be a 400+ c.i. boosted engine combo I also bought a soda blaster from eastwood as I grew tired of using a DA on the exterior panels- especially with my shitty compressor. Also bought a new compressor- an Ingersol Rand 60 gal- that will be sure to get the job done!

Once I graduate, I will be able to devote more time to the vehicle. I am also saving up sooo...

Will post photos soon!

Quick Reply: '65 Buick Special conversion- it has begun!