Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 Build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Th400 Build.

I am rebuilding a Th400 with rmvb and trans brake and I am wondering what everyone is doing to to strengthen the center support. I've looked into case savers, but I was curious if there are any other options.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always make sure that the area where the support is bolted to the case looks good. I have seen where the support actually wears the case and it will make a knocking sound while not in first gear. I personally can not remember ever seeing a case saver for a th400 so I'm not sure what you are talking about there. I think the best thing to do is make sure you adjust the rear and front end plays of the unit. Also make sure that all your bushings are good and tight. Vince
Old 08-09-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 09jyounger
I am rebuilding a Th400 with rmvb and trans brake and I am wondering what everyone is doing to to strengthen the center support. I've looked into case savers, but I was curious if there are any other options.
All the case savers do, is help aid in not knocking out the intermediate snap ring lugs. As long as you don't have excessive line pressure, and set the intermediates up on the tight side, .010 per friction, you shouldn't have a problem knocking out the case lugs. They make an hd snap ring for the intermediates, but I've built a ton of them without that. You can also leave the cushion plate in the intermediates.

A little tip for setting your intermediate clearance, you can use a fwd drum snap ring from a torque flight 8. They are selective, and come in different thicknesses.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am actaully the one building this th400 for the car. and the problem we have run into before on several RMVB with t-brake setup. well. the brake dont hurt anything. the problem is there is a pin that gives max line pressure causing a sudden hard impact. well on every unit i have seen before that is like this. all the tabs in the case break off and causes intermediate clutches to move freely. i didnt know if anyone out there has ever drilled a case or anything to fix this problem. if so please give some tips. i have a clue what to do but its alot of mods
Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

i beleive i found out how to reinforce it after i studied the case for a while. it will require the case being drilled at least 2 or 3 holes. which bolts will go in to hold a retainer plate to the snap ring and steels in the intermediate clutch. i beleive we can do this becuase RMVB setup do not use a band. and that will give enough room for anything to be reinforced
Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure what pin you are referring to. The pr spring is in the pump. You should look into lowering the line pressure if you're having cases fail due to that. 200-220 psi is more than enough.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have seen stock setups break after putting a shift kit in. and even though its enough. i dont want to have a weak spot at all.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pyronotic138
i have seen stock setups break after putting a shift kit in. and even though its enough. i dont want to have a weak spot at all.
The feed holes in the plate were probably drilled entirely too large, which I've found to be the case in most cheap kits, particularly the B&M stuff. Hydraulics will make or break (literally) you in any transmission.

I would also recommend restricting the converter feed circuit if using a transbrake valve body, or you'll be putting a new thrust bearing in the engine.

Quick Reply: Th400 Build.