Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting swap on 73 nova (what motor mounts)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting swap on 73 nova (what motor mounts)

I have been lurking on this site for about three years now while i dreamed of a swap that i did not have the space or money to do, now i looks like soon i will have both soon. all the nova swaps lately have been getting me excited so i am getting a new place and getting started.

I have done a lot of research so will try not to ask the questions that have been answer a million times. my car is a 73 nova coupe (non-hatchback), right now it has a mild 350 and m21. my plan is to swap in a LQ4 or LQ9 (no A/C or P/S) but keep the 4 speed for now (will put TKO later). I plan on leaving the engine stock for now. I will go with the autokraft pan, Lakewood scattershield, swap flywheel, Centerforce 12" DF with 10 spline input, walbro external for now. I will attempt the rework the truck ECM my self then send it out to be flashed.

I understand that the truck engines have the fuel pressure regulator located on the rails, so i was planning on just running a return line from the engine. What size line should i use?

My main question right now is what engine mounts to use to put the engine in exactly the stock location so I don't have to change the trany mount or drive shaft. my car came stock with the clam shell mounts, but i want to change to the older style mounts. does anybody know what frame side mounts i should use, short or tall?, and what adapter plates should i use?

i drove the car as a daily driver for 5 years but finally got fed up with the SBC, i want to make it reliable again (and better MPG) so i can get back to driving it all the time.

Also is there a way to change my user name? I must have been drunk it was supposed to be jetblack73nova.

Thanks for reading
Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

here is my nova: http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=110543
Old 08-12-2009, 02:51 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done a lot of research
just research camaro builds or look at the stickies.

327 (tall) engine stands, car shop plates, rubber motor mounts, autokraft pan, hooker headers, and ATS t56 swap parts... easy as pie.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good Research on getting your plans in order.. I will be starting my 2nd swap next year, I just picked up a wrecked 02 Z28 for $1,750.00.. with A4 and 71k on it.

I think for getting the engine back to the trans.. most have used 1" set back plates.. but I would ask or research for sure. You should be able to use the earlier style frame mounts for a earlier SBC Nova/Camaro. You can use either the Short/wide or Tall/Narrow, depending on what or how you want the engine to sit... as long as you match up the Engine mounts.. I ended up using a mix and match for my chevelle to get it the sit right.. Short/Wide Frame mounts with Modified Tall/Narrow Frame mounts to work with the engine mounts..

I would use at lease 5/16" for the return, which seem standard OEM that should handle it. How aobut removing the Regulator at the fuel raid and run a Covertte FPR near the tank and that why you can keep the return line shorter and not have to run one if you don't already have a return line on your 73'.

You might ask one of the Mod to that question on your users name...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Make sure you have a 3/8 feed line, some novas with 2bbl carbs from the factory used a 5/16 feed line. You need 3/8 feed and 5/16 return.

And there's no way to get a name changed, since you only have 2 posts, I would say make a new account and delete the old one, you'll only be losing 4 months as a user, not a bad trade-off since the longer you're on here the more you'll want it changed.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt realize you had to change the frame mounts as well. I thought one just bought the adapter plate for the engine mounts and voila!

so, I have stock 350 mounts do I need to change them to the 327 mounts?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did say you had the Clam shell mount right now, and you did say you wanted to switch to the older style mounts ? I was just pointing out your option on the earlier SBC engine and frame mount setup.

They are to completely mounting systems.. the upper clam part would still have the same 3 bolt pattern, so you could adapt them to the plates..!? Not sure of the lower part of the mount and frame mount...could be the same pattern ?? If not, just drill some new holes.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

although i could just use plates with my mounts i would like to buy a set of the old style mounts becasue the clam shell mounts suck when you are trying to drop an engine in because you have to lien up these tabs on each side as well as the bolt.
If I where to say use the short old style frame mounts with there accompanying motor mounts would this put the engien in the same place as my clamshell or the tall frame mount with there motor mounts?

i just ran a 3/8 feed line and will get some aluminum tube to run a 5/8 return line, i figure that is much cheaper than the vett thing with its fittings.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think you mean 5/16" return line.. LOL..

anyway. Yeah. I understand what you mean about the clam shell setup. It all depends on which style plates you use.. the early BRP is designed to be used by moving the frame stands and remounting as required to where you want the engine to sit.

With the S&P style.. there is a few variation of it (ATS, Hooker, Edelbrock, Carshop, etc) .. along with 1" set back. These are designed to use with the Frame stands in there original location. I am using early BRP with my Chevelle, but I am not sure what I will do for my Nova yet... but from what I have researched, the 1" setback one will move the engine back to mate up with the Transmission in its oriiginall location (say if using the TH350/TH400 with its original Trans Cross memeber location).
Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

I guess i will look into 1" setback plates. would all the three mount types (clamshell, tall and short ) put the engine in the same spot or where they designed to move the engine around depending on application? why would chevy make two different mount (tall and short) for the small blocks in novas from 68 to 72?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

although i could not find a comparison to the clam shell mounts i think i found the answer to my question: if i read this (http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm) right the mounts have the same over all dimensions.

thanks for the replies
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jetback73nova
although i could not find a comparison to the clam shell mounts i think i found the answer to my question: if i read this (http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm) right the mounts have the same over all dimensions.

thanks for the replies
Those are 1st gen camaro mounts and stands--I don't know if they translate exactly to Novas. I'm pretty sure the holes in the frame are the same place, but I don't know if the stands are the same.

The 302/350 stands with the matching tall+narrow mounts put the engine in a different location than the standard 307/327 stands with matching short+wide mounts. This was done to make get the 8" balancer on the 302/350 to clear the front sway bar. I'm not sure if the 302/350 mounts moved the engine up or down--I've seen conflicting info on that. One source I read said that the 302/350 mounts moved the engine up so that the balancer was above the sway bar, and another said that it moved the engine down, which changed the angle of the engine and let the balancer tuck in behind the sway bar. Most of the conversion plate makers don't seem to realize that there are two different types of smallblock frame stands and mounts for 1st gen camaro, and can't tell you which their stuff was designed for.

Quick Reply: Starting swap on 73 nova (what motor mounts)