Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes flowmasters drone so badly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What makes flowmasters drone so badly?

Well one of the mufflers on my dumped H has died. Ive only had the system together for perhaps 5 months. System consists of a dumped 3 inch H pipe with sectioned floor pan so I can fit full size mufflers. I have been running the full size dynomax mufflers and they have been great but one of them decided to come apart inside. Im pretty pissed off that the damn thing broke after only 5 months! Really makes me kind of weary about going with dynomax again, so Ive been thinking about replacement options. I loved that the dynomax mufflers sounded good, were loud at WOT, quiet at cruise and had NO drone, which made me start to wonder why flowmasters drone as badly as they do. I would love to hear some 40 or 44's on my setup but I know they would have unbearable drone. Why do they drone so badly?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a flowmaster and hated them not true duels but they sounded like crap, they were just loud and annoying. I have a magnaflow now and it sounds way better, 0 rasp. I have no idea how true duels would sound with magnaflow true duels though.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drone is just the nature of the muffler and is due to the internal design. It's just a big echo chamber that reflects the sound waves against the internal baffles, which cause them to cancel themselves out. A muffler with a packing to absorb the sound waves does a much better job of absorbing the drone and rasp that is typical of a chambered/sound reflective muffler. I have owned one dynomax muffler and it came apart within 6 months also and I will never buy another one. I recommend you get a set of the 4"X9" oval magnaflows. they have a good tone at idle, part throttle, and cruise but scream at WOT.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Teching In

They drone so badly because the sound bounces around in there in a lot of directions and some of those waves bounce towards you in the car causing a massive drone. With magnaflows and such theya re straight through with insulating material surrounding them to absorb and quiet those annoying drones.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people like drone. They buy FLows. If you don't like the way they sound buy something different.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

/\ thanks so much for that jewel of a post.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
/\ thanks so much for that jewel of a post.
Hey, he was being honest....
Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM

I have the Magnaflow Catalytic Converter 45420, I purchased it direct here. Magnaflow Catalytic Converter 45420, I have no comlaints with this cat I passed emissions and got not engine code errors so Im happy. You would not believe what the dealer wanted to charge me for this thing. Definately buy online and put it on your self its way cheaper.