Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom rear mount for a GTO. What do you guys think of this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom rear mount for a GTO. What do you guys think of this setup?

It would be based off of the STS setup, with some changes. Here is a pic for reference....

something like this. HOwever eliminate the cats. running a y pipe connecing the exhaust pipes right in the vacinity of the tranny, essentially as soon as possible (to the left or right of the tranny if space is needed). mount the turbo off to the side a bit, where either of those resonators are currently located in the pic, it would tuck under nicely. Then run the cold side pipe back to the intercooler right down the side like it is in the pic, only going a much shorter distance due to the closer turbo setup. This should cut down the lag time due to the decrease on the amount of piping to run and distance the air travels, the loss of heat as it travels through the much shorter exhaust pipes, etc. It would also make the system a bit less complex looking, and it could hopefully be tucked up under nice and neat, not hanging down like people hate.

what do you think? What do you think the cost would be for the supplies?
I am no turbo pro, so i am going to guess at parts needed, perhaps you fellas can fill in missing pieces and prices....

Turbo...
Ebay intercooler (if possible and effective)
tubing\piping
wastegate
blow off valve
oil pump and lines for turbo
air intake tubing and filter for the turbo (which i was considering running back up to the front of the bumper\grill area. Or perhaps tucking under the car with a nice splash shield.

I would sell my kooks long tubes and either re-use my stock manifolds if possible, or use truck manifolds and lots of header wrap.

What dost thou thinketh?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me thinks you are up late, lol. I also don't see a picture.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

I really like how thats routed.

Ive always wanted to do FI and have been debating giving it a try on my GTO.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only reason for a rear mount or (mid) is packaging. I build plenty of them but when ever possible front mounted is the way to go. The gto has plenty of room up front, so why all the tubing, all the couplers, all the clamps, the oil system etc...

Do it just like a turbo buick, plenty of room for the intercooler, short simple runs, less money, performs better. As a friend of mine would say....all the good none of the bad.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Word of advise, if the cats start spitting out pieces of the honeycomb it will tear up the exhaust turbine.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Replace the CATS with a metal core converter if possible. This will keep you street legal and minimizes back pressure. I think the idea looks great as long as you can keep the turbo from bottoming out. A twinscroll turbo would work extremely well for that idea if you wanted to keep the left and right exhaust banks completely separate...

I am not sure what the clearance is under the body of a GTO, but you will definetly have to find another route for the airfilter . It needs to be up higher within the chassis so that it avoids water and dirt...
Maybe you can route the piping for it a little futher so that it goes near the quarter panel.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

that seems like a bunch of excess tubing for no reason. Whats the purpose of that setup? Do u gain anything? Not to bad mouth it; im just curious. It looks neat though.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320
The only reason for a rear mount or (mid) is packaging. I build plenty of them but when ever possible front mounted is the way to go. The gto has plenty of room up front, so why all the tubing, all the couplers, all the clamps, the oil system etc...

Do it just like a turbo buick, plenty of room for the intercooler, short simple runs, less money, performs better. As a friend of mine would say....all the good none of the bad.

werd.

Originally Posted by mike13
Word of advise, if the cats start spitting out pieces of the honeycomb it will tear up the exhaust turbine.

and werd.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

guys, the pic up there is not how i would setup my custom rear mount. I used that pic as a starting point and describeed how i would modify it to make it better. So now i drew over that pic to show how i was thinking of setting up a custom rear mount. I would eliminate the cats and combine both manifold mid pipes into a y-pipe which runs to the turbo which would be located to the side of the tranny, between the cat and the resonator in the above pic. This would allow the turbo to tuck up nicely under the car so it doesnt hang like many rear mounts, and it would drastically shorten the piping involved in a rear mount setup.

The shortened piping should retain more heat and velocity in the exhaust, spooling the turbo faster and harder, and the return piping to the intercooler would be shortened drastically as well.
Attached Thumbnails Custom rear mount for a GTO. What do you guys think of this setup?-sts-turbo.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

If your stuck on a rearmount then I would just mock it up like sts but do it better.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

no, not set on a rear mount at all. In fact, i will likely go with either a TVS 2300 or either the Dragon or Techco twin screw if they get them out for our cars. This was just something i wanted to throw out there because i was looking at STS's setup and thought it had room for some improvement.... so i drew it.

wanted to see what people would think of the changes.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

all i can say is NO!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

So is there any logical/performance boosting purpose to rear mounting or is it strictly for aesthetic value/originality?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

the purpose\benefits of rear mounting are...
1. usually easier to make a turbo kit under and in the rear of the car where it isnt cramped rather than in a cramped engine bay where you may have to move things around.

2. no added heat under the hood. This has the benefits of less heat on other engine components and the engine itself, which is always a good thing. And there is also less heat under the hood to heat the intercooler, the charge pipes, the air intake, the incoming air, etc.

These are the usual reasons.

Quick Reply: Custom rear mount for a GTO. What do you guys think of this setup?