Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PTK kit Cooling fan Feedback? Anyone wire up a 3rd fan for their turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PTK kit Cooling fan Feedback? Anyone wire up a 3rd fan for their turbo setup?

So far the car has been driving ok with the 2 12inch fans. I have 1 pusher and 1 puller fan on it. They are both crappy hayden fans from Murrays autoparts. As of now, the AC can only be used on the highway as the fans are not moving enough air when stopped.

Stop and go traffic on a hot 90degree day can be a problem.

I was thinking about buying a Flexlite 1986 12inch fan. Its suppose to move about 1400cfm. I was going to add this as another pusher.

What is the best way to wire this up? Should I split 1 of the wires and have it go into a relay, and just grab the power directly from the battery?

The side with the puller/pusher should move air pretty good since they would be working together.

Can anyone give me the part number of what pusher fans you decided to go with. Keep in mind that I still have AC, and the radiator setup is stock.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Keep the puller in the back, passenger side. Put a blanket on the turbo exhaust housing.

Put a Flex-a-Lite 240 (dual pusher fans) unit on the AC condenser... Make sure your condenser is clean and flows air. Make sure you have a radiator shroud up top, and make sure your lower air dam isn't tired or bent... If necessary, fab up some little brackets to push the air dam at a slight angle forward and so it doesn't bend back upon speed. Also, cut the cowl/weatherstripping behind the hood to allow the work of all the fans while the car's not moving to easily flow air since the air will have an exit.

These are some of the tips I've learned in the four years running a PTS kit.

If I remember more, I'll post up.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Launching!

I just cut my stock fans up and made one a pusher and one a puller. Hasn't even thought about overheating since.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 2 of the SPAL 12" pushers that carolina rod shop carries. Google them since they aren't a sponsor. The 2 of them move like 3200 CFM!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dean95z28
I just cut my stock fans up and made one a pusher and one a puller. Hasn't even thought about overheating since.

Can you snap some pics of this setup?

Did you swap the blades on the stock fan and reverse the polarity?

Frost, Any chance of getting the part number for those fans? =)
Old 08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
FormerVendor

12" HP PUSHER on the SPAL list at their site... I will PM you a link, it has fan details. They fit TIGHT, but they fit.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks steve for the info. I bought one and should have it by later today.

Any tips on wiring this fan up? The 2 fans are currently using the stock wiring. I would like to wire up this 3rd fan to go on with the existing fans. I was thinking of maybe splitting one of the positive wires to a relay, and then to the new fan. Basically the positive would be a trigger, and the power would come directly from the battery.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Monello
Thanks steve for the info. I bought one and should have it by later today.

Any tips on wiring this fan up? The 2 fans are currently using the stock wiring. I would like to wire up this 3rd fan to go on with the existing fans. I was thinking of maybe splitting one of the positive wires to a relay, and then to the new fan. Basically the positive would be a trigger, and the power would come directly from the battery.
That would work just fine. You may even have it run with the LOW fan so that you have 2 on when temps even start moving. It will help your A/C too

Quick Reply: PTK kit Cooling fan Feedback? Anyone wire up a 3rd fan for their turbo setup?