Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new muffler? ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new muffler? ideas?

alright guys im runnin' the flowmaster american thunder catback with the 80 series muffler that comes with it, i want to replace the muffler. any ideas on good mufflers? does the super 44 or 40 series flow better than the 80 series?
thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

anybody?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

They do but the problem is, I don't think there is a 40 or 44 series that'll be a direct fit replacement for the 80 series you have. I'd look into a magnaflow or hooker muffler to replace.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just get a magnaflow muffler or a hooker aerochamber to replace it
Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can also use a Spin Tech, Sportmans Split Case 344SC.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Camaro, right? On my '97 Z28 I really didn't care about having 2 tailpipes out back so I installed a 3-in. Flowtech Warlock muffler, the one with the built-in cutout. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-50560FLT/ It has a nice rumble without cats and thru the muffler, no rasp. It's kinda quiet if you still have cats (speaking from an LT1 point-of-view). I attached a DMH electric cutout on the "bypass" portion, which gave me 12 rwhp on the dyno when I opened it. I kept the tailpipe short and had it tucked and turndowned nicely before the bumper for the V6 look.

If you have to have 2 tailpipes, my current '02 Trans Am has a Pypes Violator 3-in muffler. This is their Race-Pro version: http://pypesexhaust.com/gallery105.html The Violator version I have uses chambered tubing like Sweet Thunders; same set-up though......no S-curve or baffles or deflectors, just straight from the inlet to a Y, and out to 2 outlets.....this is probably the best flowing transverse muffler out there. If you look at the image of the shot straight-thru the muffler outlets, to the right is a glimpse of the Y-split following the inlet. It has a nice rumble on my stock manifold, catted LS1 and roars when you punch it. Slight rasp coming off the throttle.

I've always had to do a little more searching instead of following the bandwagon Hooker/Magnaflow everyone generally recommends.

Last edited by ponchoV8; 08-23-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

that 3in pypes sounds pretty solid man, i will have to think about that
thanks alot guys
Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ponchoV8
I installed a 3-in. Flowtech Warlock muffler, the one with the built-in cutout. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-50560FLT/ It has a nice rumble without cats and thru the muffler, no rasp. It's kinda quiet if you still have cats (speaking from an LT1 point-of-view). I attached a DMH electric cutout on the "bypass" portion, which gave me 12 rwhp on the dyno when I opened it. I kept the tailpipe short and had it tucked and turndowned nicely before the bumper for the V6 look.
I was looking into the Flowtech Warlocks as a possible way to simulate the Corvettes "Dual Mode" exhaust by using a heat riser valve.
click------> http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6453

I'd like to keep the dual exhaust though, so what I'd like to do is run the piping from the cutout area to the drivers side tip, and the piping from the "quiet" area to the passenger side tip. Is this a good idea?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I was looking into the Flowtech Warlocks as a possible way to simulate the Corvettes "Dual Mode" exhaust by using a heat riser valve.
click------> http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6453

I'd like to keep the dual exhaust though, so what I'd like to do is run the piping from the cutout area to the drivers side tip, and the piping from the "quiet" area to the passenger side tip. Is this a good idea?
for you Lee i would suggest just getting a Magnaflow or Aerochamber muffler. cutouts dont gain much over either of them, and they can be quiet when you want them to be
Old 10-07-2009, 01:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
for you Lee i would suggest just getting a Magnaflow or Aerochamber muffler. cutouts dont gain much over either of them, and they can be quiet when you want them to be
Nothing is as quiet as stock. I'll take you for a drive around the block this Friday at the meet so you can experience the quietness that is my sound deadened stock exhaust LS1 F-body.

I was thinking instead, just attach said vacuum-modulated butterfly valve onto a manual cutout. It would leak a little bit, but electric cutouts start leaking eventually anyways, and this way is much cheaper and potentially more reliable. In the event it doesn't work I can just use the manual cutout like it was intended, or attach an electric cutout later.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Nothing is as quiet as stock. I'll take you for a drive around the block this Friday at the meet so you can experience the quietness that is my sound deadened stock exhaust LS1 F-body.

I was thinking instead, just attach said vacuum-modulated butterfly valve onto a manual cutout. It would leak a little bit, but electric cutouts start leaking eventually anyways, and this way is much cheaper and potentially more reliable. In the event it doesn't work I can just use the manual cutout like it was intended, or attach an electric cutout later.

oh i remember stock, mine was stock back in 07. that idea for a cutout is a good idea. and as stated worse case you just get an actual cutout later

Quick Reply: new muffler? ideas?