Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What Wastgate spring is in the STS kit? Can I use it in my build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Wastgate spring is in the STS kit? Can I use it in my build?

Will I need to change the wastegate spring for my build I want 8-10#'s on low end using there sts boost control. But swapped turbo to TC78. Do I need a different spring to keep the TC78 in check and also meet those boost goal? This is in a 383 forged stroker
Old 08-23-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

hmm good ? but I believe the everything revolves around the spring pressure even with a larger turbo. You can use the STS boost controller to manipulate this to achieve what you want.

I have a 5lb. spring but run on hi about 10-11psi.

If you need any help or have questions hit me up since it looks like we are in the same area.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 38mm tial is fine from the kit and a 7 psi spring is fine because you can double the pressure of the spring to 14-16 with out creep or spikes.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so on the low setting what boost will I max out at I know about manipulating the top end setting
Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Should be what ever you set the controller at. The spring in the gate is just for gate pressure without a boost controller. Adding the boost controller lets you change the settings to what ever. But rule of thmb is to only double what the gate spring is rated at. 5 psi spring is good to 10 psi, Some will say you can push it higher but its more stress on the spring and u lose control over the gate wich leads to boost spikes and so on.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you really want to you could just buy another spring from Tial and just not worry about anything with the 5lb spring and whatever spring you buy with it. Tial mentions this on their website
Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but the sts I thought runs through the wastegate spring on low pressure, and there controller when switch restricts so it raises the wastegate pressure so you can boost more. Correct? So wouldnt I run what wastegate spring I have when on low then whatever when using the sts boost controller valve
Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

u dont need to change anything in the wastegate..
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vipvegas
but the sts I thought runs through the wastegate spring on low pressure, and there controller when switch restricts so it raises the wastegate pressure so you can boost more. Correct? So wouldnt I run what wastegate spring I have when on low then whatever when using the sts boost controller valve
You have to set both points high and low through the boost controller. When I had the sts controller my low setting was 5 psi and my high was 8 psi. I watch Billy adjust both settings.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the controller supplied with sts has one manual valve to adjust and that only adjust the high end, when on low your running whatever wastegate spring you got is what I understood.

When my sts was stock totally it ran 7-8 then we always adjusted the valve to control the high setting.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vipvegas
the controller supplied with sts has one manual valve to adjust and that only adjust the high end, when on low your running whatever wastegate spring you got is what I understood.

When my sts was stock totally it ran 7-8 then we always adjusted the valve to control the high setting.
If its the dual stage controller yes. In the switches off position your running whatever the WG spring will let you and with the switch in the on position it will run at what you set by the regulator.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

exactly so Im wondering if I need to replace my spring so I can make 10 on low and 14-16 on high. Dont know which spring to get me to 10