Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

the mysterious vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the mysterious vibration

well, the car has had some vibration since i first got it (47,775 miles), currently just over 49k. Figured it was just tires, so I had them balanced (at walmart none the less). It seems to have cut the vibration down some, but its still there. Its not really noticable until above 50 mph. Really not an issue there,but cruising 75 or so it gets annoying. Sometimes it smooths itself out for a second or two, but come right back. 5th or 6th gear, its still there. Neutral its still there. You can still feel it, but doesnt seem as bad accelerting all the way up to 100+ mph.

Alignment issue? It doesnt seem to pull to either side, but it does track the road most of the time with those 275's on front.

Shitty wal-mart balance? I watched them do it, and it doesnt seem like they spin the tires more than 30-40 mph on the machine.

Driveline related? Please say no...
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

driveshaft anyone?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You described the problem I am having to a T. I believe it has to be something w/ the new wheels/tires on my car as it did not happen until I put them on.

What I noticed on my car was that the centering ring did not completely fit on the hub, when I put the wheels on I has to force them on. I took sand paper to remove the rust and other grit on the hub, then I use the sand paper to clean off the centering ring. When I put the wheels back on the fit nicely over the hub and it had removed some of the vibration but it is still there.

I actually did the same thing you did; I immediately thought it was a balance problem and had my wheels rebalanced. When they balanced the wheels, they took off A LOT of the weights. The guy that rebalanced the wheels seem like in a big hurry and and did a very sloppy job. In light of this, I am going to have the wheels balanced someplace else to see if it completely removes the problem.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned

I will look into that hub thing. I talked to a local shop down here about it and they assured me they do high speed wheel balance, compared to the low speed/all speed wheel balance that walmart does. They dont have road force to work with, but its better than nothing. I'm also going to have them align it, even if its just barely off I'm going to have them put it to exact numbers, not just "in the green"
Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default Not the tires/alignment

just got it back from balance and alignment. not the issue. Could warped rotors be what I'm feeling?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

alright. I got some good drive time in the car and this is what I noticed. The vibration is now more of a pulse. It goes smooth then ramps up to a vibration that shakes the car, then goes back to smooth. It just pulses like that as I cruise. If I'm costing down a hill, just barely opening the throttle, it doesnt pulse any more. Also, if I'm on a road with a bunch of dips (dont read as potholes) and it makes the car go up and down, I dont feel it any more. Driveline angle issue?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have no clue. The pulsing/vibration seems so random.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

alright. today I got the u-joints replaced. the rear u-joint felt extremely stiff (dry?). the front I couldnt tell. I also replaced the front pads and rotors, had to replace the pass. front caliper as well since the caliper bracket had a stuck pin. I have the parts to replace the rear rotors, but didnt have time today. On the quick drive I got with it, it seems a little better, but I didnt get a long drive in it. I did still feel some pulsation with. Maybe the SLP catback is causing it?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

i would have thought it was the brakes...its clearly a rotational problem. perhaps itll go away when u swap the rear rotors/pads.

car is auto or manual?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Banned

manual. I also wonder if its a slipping clutch? Maybe I dont know what that feels like, but I havent smelt any burnt clutch, nor does it feel like it has a problem accelerating.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
manual. I also wonder if its a slipping clutch? Maybe I dont know what that feels like, but I havent smelt any burnt clutch, nor does it feel like it has a problem accelerating.
perhaps your flywheel is warped. did u change the rear brakes? u said it went away a little after u swapped the fronts...could jus be the brakes
Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Banned

I have never heard of a warped flywheel, but I wont throw that one out. I do wonder if it is coming from the driveline. I wont be able to get to the rear brakes till this weekend (I work 5-5 and have no garage during the week). I will swap those out and proceede. btw, whats up with parking brake shoes costing so dang much?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

alright. I did rear brakes, and the feeling is still there. I picked up a inclometer today, but won't have a chance to check driveline angle for awhile. So, a list could be's. Help me rule stuff out, or add extra to the list. I thought about the warped flywheel, but it's based on RPM, its based on speed. I can be at any rpm in neutral and its not there. But 50 and above I start to notice. Really becomes noticable at 70.

Driveshaft

Bent Axle

Input shaft not centered on crank

Clutch assemebly loose/unbalanced

Transmission Internals

Quick Reply: the mysterious vibration