Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

aluminum 9 inch case.... no go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default aluminum 9 inch case.... no go?

i know just about everyone on this website runs one or wants one.
i just spoke with rocky at moser eng, and he told me that at 3300 pounds and 1.3 60ft, with street driving, he would never recommend their aluminum thru bolted center section for my application.
i explained in detail that street driving wasnt anything more than a weekend cruiser. he still said no way. case heats up, and will cause gear wear.

so what gives? is he being politically correct?
i know guys that run them in their daily drivers.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

I have run a strange aluminum center section,spool and 3.50 street gear in my 67 camaro for almost 14 years. It sees mostly street use with about 4times a year at the track runnning 8.70's no problems at all. But I recently bought a aluminum moser center section for my 2002 camaro 3.25 street gear and spool only to have it fail after 180 miles .they told me they get their gears from strange and found it was not heat treated properly, they are installing a new gear under warranty,but ive been waiting 3 weeks now. They never mentioned any thing about their case not holding up.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running a moser aluminum center section 9",spool 3:89 gear in my 2002 SS Camaro A4 convertible for a couple of years with no problems. The pinion seal has leaked from day one and I've not been happy about that, I drive the car on the street often and go to the drag strip regularly.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i asked them which one was the stronger and they told me for the ultimate in strength to go with the standard nodular iron case. but they said either way, there shouldnt be a problem with either.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

I have been running my aluminum center for a couple of years and have made several 200-300 mile trips on it without a problem so far. The only problem so far has been the pinion seal like caddobass mentioned, but I'm about to replace it this week and take it on a 6hr cruise for labor day weekend and I'm not worried one bit. It has also seen many 6k launches at the track along with all of this street driving and mine is pretty much full weight. I say go for it IMO.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:42 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I have never seen a problem with the aluminum case on street driven cars, my car above has one. Granted, it isn't normally driven on the streets. I have sold hundreds though that are. Bob

COMPLETE ALUMINUM CENTER SECTION
Save up to 14 lbs with a Moser Aluminum case. Our thru-bolted center is one of the strongest units on the market. Moser aluminum cases are made of 356-T6 aluminum with 7075-T6 aluminum caps and billet steel adjusters. They feature a super strong thru-bolt design to give the case increased strength and decreased ring gear deflection common in most aluminum case designs. All Moser Aluminum cases are drilled for the 3/8” stock pinion studs and 7/16” heavy-duty studs. Moser aluminum cases are designed to be used with either a standard pilot bearing with snap ring retention, or a heavy duty, wider pinion bearing utilizing button head bolts for retention is available. Step up to the best thru-bolted aluminum center section on the market!
TWO-DAY TURNAROUND ON ALL ORDERS!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
i asked them which one was the stronger and they told me for the ultimate in strength to go with the standard nodular iron case. but they said either way, there shouldnt be a problem with either.
nodular is 35 pounds.
an aluminum is 18.
stock ford is 21-25 depending on the casting.
my buddy casey has a lightning truck that runs 6.10's 1/8 mile and its street driven.
nothing harder on a rearend than 1000pd ft and driving it on the street.
i guess its all in who you talk to at moser.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

I run the Strange aluminum center too. Granted I dont have the power to cut 1.3 60's but I run it on the street a lot and have had no issues.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

well, ive got an aluminum moser case on the way. billet yoke, support, yadda, yadda.
should save between 7-10 pounds over my stock iron parts.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

I run the aluminum center section in my daily driven car. Pinion seal has leaked since day 1 and even after changing it I've never been able to get it to seal.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:37 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimmard
I run the aluminum center section in my daily driven car. Pinion seal has leaked since day 1 and even after changing it I've never been able to get it to seal.
o ring type?
youve got to GOB the rtv to it. sometimes they still leak when it sits. beauty of aftermarket....
Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered my Midwest 9" with a strange aluminum center. Erik told me he hadnn't had any issues with the aluminum centers. Then I talked to one of my buddys that used to work at Strange for 4+ years, and he told me that they have to warranty those aluminum centers ALL the time for gear wear. They are designed for cars that are 2300lbs and less. So he let me know if it goes bad within the warranty period and I try to get it repaired by them..be sure to tell Strange that its in a race car that weighs 2300lbs or less.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
I ordered my Midwest 9" with a strange aluminum center. Erik told me he hadnn't had any issues with the aluminum centers. Then I talked to one of my buddys that used to work at Strange for 4+ years, and he told me that they have to warranty those aluminum centers ALL the time for gear wear. They are designed for cars that are 2300lbs and less. So he let me know if it goes bad within the warranty period and I try to get it repaired by them..be sure to tell Strange that its in a race car that weighs 2300lbs or less.
the strange case is for lightweight and 600hp.
the moser case is the only way to go for an aluminum case.
i wouldnt have a strange case if i had something light.
for another 100 bucks, the moser is worth the piece of mind.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TJ
the strange case is for lightweight and 600hp.
the moser case is the only way to go for an aluminum case.
i wouldnt have a strange case if i had something light.
for another 100 bucks, the moser is worth the piece of mind.
Well I'm not quite at 600hp, but 6700 rpm clutch dumps and dead hooking on ET streets in a 3900lb car with a sticky clutch and the only problem I have with mine is that I've never been able to seal it up. I have the strange aluminum center section, it wines from 60-70 but that's it. That and I have a vibration I cant track down since I put the 9" in...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

ok. for us dailey street guys. i was thinking of going with aluminum moser. but i also talked to moser and they said no for the street.

so i dont care about the 20lbs. i just adaded. 500 worth ov other ****. and well i am going with midwest so that cut me atleast 20 lbs so it si a wash.

so i think i will go with the N strange case and call it a day.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Default Moser Engineering Aluminum Cases

The information conveyed by “Rocky” to the user “TJ” is not accurate. The Moser Engineering Aluminum Cases are perfectly acceptable in street or strip applications. We have never experienced a gear related failure due to the design or material in our aluminum case. The only aluminum case we manufacture is a THRU-BOLT design which gives the case additional strength and decreases ring gear deflection. Our aluminum cases are extremely strong but do cost more. In many instances there is no need for the customer to pay more for something they do not need. Heavy cars with a ton of horsepower will see little or no gain in saving 15-20 lbs and in those instances we will normally recommend the nodular case but we will gladly and confidently sell the aluminum case if that is what the customer wants.

Moser Engineering distributes Ring & Pinions from the following gear manufacturers; Motive Gear, US Gear and Richmond Gear.

In addition, with the exception of a few specialty applications, all orders including axles, housings, and complete center sections ship two days after they are ordered.

We are sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Moser Engineering Management
Old 09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Banned

^^^ so if i am staying stock wieght(around 3800-3900) and running 850 horse. it is wasting my money to get aluminum?

is that what you are saying?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Pretty much. The weight difference would only save you about one hundredth in the 1/4, if that.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping that moving to an aluminum case will help the wheel hop on my car. Currently it has koni's, adj. LCA's and an adjustable torque arm. I also bought adjustable LCA mounts for the rear but I'm gonna try without just to see if it makes any difference just to satisfy my curiosity. Then I'll put on the LCA regardless.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Pretty much. The weight difference would only save you about one hundredth in the 1/4, if that.
The reason I went with an aluminum center section for my mostly street driven car was for the savings in unsprung weight. I know its only 15-20lbs but thats a big difference when looking at unsprung weight.

Quick Reply: aluminum 9 inch case.... no go?