Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Drivers Wheel Doesn't Spin Freely When Jacked, Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Drivers Wheel Doesn't Spin Freely When Jacked, Options?

Hello all,
I am posting because I need to resolve the braking issue mentioned above. It seems that the car has had this issue since I bought it (car had 60k when I bought it, its at 83k now). I am staring to think that this is causing premature wear to suspension components and brake components. I installed hawks HPS pads and drilled/slotted rotors last year, but the car still has original brake hoses and calipers, and slider pins on it (putting my flame suit on now). I plan on putting stainless brake hoses on it asap, flushing the fluid, and greasing the slider pins. Do any of you guys see a need to replace the calipers? Do they typically hang up? I am trying to save $100 and not replace parts on a whim. Would it be safe to assume that the slider pins and/or brake lines with old fluid in them are causing this? Please advise.

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 08-24-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it pull to one side when you brake? were the pistons on the calipers easy to push in when u put the pads on?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

The brakes generally don't have pull when braking. The wheel contantly pulls to the right when driving without braking, though. I have been to many alignment shops (most recent one was the best in the area, hands down) and they set the alignments within factory specs even after lowering the car and they said my tires were causing the pulling. Also, the calipers on both sides of the vehicle needed to be pushed in with C-Clamps during a pad change, a standard procedure I use when doing brake swaps. I just did a full brake parts swap on my DD (new pads, rotors, calipers, slider pin components, and hoses), and it currently stops WAY better than the Z28, even despite its performance pads and "performance rotors". The pedal feels way more firm in my DD now than in my Z28.

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 08-24-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know our sliders suck and tend to get siezed up due to rust. If the alignment is good i would go with the brake hanging up. check on the brake dust on your wheels too... thatll show which side is doing more braking
Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bet 5 bucks that the grease in the bearing is shot. re-grease your bearings or at least inspect them (prepare to get dirty). if it's not the brakes then i'll bet thats what it is if your alignment is perfect and it still pulls to one side when riding down the road.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
i bet 5 bucks that the grease in the bearing is shot. re-grease your bearings or at least inspect them (prepare to get dirty). if it's not the brakes then i'll bet thats what it is if your alignment is perfect and it still pulls to one side when riding down the road.
You just lost $5

There are no bearings to grease. These vehicles use sealed wheel bearing hub assemblies. Much better than the old school tapered bearings in rotor setup.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

I think he meant the caliper pin grease, not the bearing grease. Based off of everybody's replies, I'm going to try and keep the stock calipers. If I continue to get bad hanging on that wheel, my next step will be to replace the calipers.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem and didnt find it till I replaced the front brakes and put the wheel back on and it wouldnt turn!! Didnt see any problems when installing the brakes either!! But it ended up being the bottom slider pin!! it would cause the brakes to work but drag on the bottom side!! Took some good cleaning then grease and it worked perfectly!!! Good luck!!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Just wondering, how do you get the pin out fully? I can only pull mine out just alittle.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

pliers

and you can replace the bearing for about three hundred bucks because i just replaced mine due to the abs sensor malfunctioning, now the truck goes to the opposite side just a tad bit. just pitching ideas here
Old 08-25-2009, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Break lines are collapsed. I put some earl's stainless steel braided lines on mine and now they spin as long as you want them too.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is stiffer on the driver side than passenger side even after replacing the hose, caliper (twice!), slide pins, hard line, spring clips.... Better than it used to be but still doesn't seem quite right...

I gave up.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Just went thru this exercise.. Drive your car for about 10 minutes, make some normal stops, and pull off the road and park. Put your finger on the rotors in the same spot. Your dragging rotors will be hot as hell. Assume this is also the case with the calipers. Your calipers are not retracting. I went thru flushing the fluid, repeatably collapsing the pistons in the caliper with a c clamp, all kinds of crap. They loosened up for about a month. The only thing that will fix it long term is to either replace the calipers (do them as pairs) or rebuild them (again as pairs). Then flush all your brake fluid in your system. Its toast. Dont skimp. When you use your brakes, your life is in your foots hands... really.

BTW, I replaced my 60K calipers, fluid, and pads. Having 'loose' calipers paid off as I recently drove 550 miles on less then 20 gallons. Never did that before.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jclz28

BTW, I replaced my 60K calipers, fluid, and pads. Having 'loose' calipers paid off as I recently drove 550 miles on less then 20 gallons. Never did that before.
must be nice
Old 08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Hmm JCL is making me think this over again, I'll probably just do it right and get the calipers replaced. I'll keep you updated as Earl's are on their way.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

sounds like a caliper is seized or a slidder is rusted. take the caliper off and see if the piston retracts nice and easy....if you have a problem doin this than thats your problem.

Quick Reply: Front Drivers Wheel Doesn't Spin Freely When Jacked, Options?